- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Growth of Two Native Zoysiagrasses Collected from Sea Side and Mountain Area in Indonesia on Growing Media Composed of Sand and Clay
- Rahayu, Rahayu (Agriculture Faculty, Sebelas Maret University) ;
- Dewantoro, Hery (Agriculture Faculty, Sebelas Maret University) ;
- Arianto, Dwi Priyo (Agriculture Faculty, Sebelas Maret University) ;
- Bae, Eun-Ji (Southern Forest Resources Research Center, National Institute of Forest Science) ;
- Choi, Su-Min (Southern Forest Resources Research Center, National Institute of Forest Science) ;
- Lee, Kwang-Soo (Southern Forest Resources Research Center, National Institute of Forest Science) ;
- Yang, Geun-Mo (Department of Green Landscape Architicture Science, Dankook Univ.) ;
- Choi, Joon-Soo (Department of Green Landscape Architicture Science, Dankook Univ.)
- Received : 2017.12.05
- Accepted : 2018.03.24
- Published : 2018.03.31
Zoysiagrass (Zoysia spp.) exists spotly in Indonesia and it has potential to be used in parks, golf courses, and football fields. Many football fields and golf course fairways use sand as top soil over native soil. This study aims to analyze growth and quality of two native zoysiagrasses Zis and Zim. Zis is a native zoysiagrass collected in sea-side and Zim is a native zoysiagrass collected in mountain area. Both types of zoysiagrasses were planted at field with altitude of 300 m with various growing media mixes of sand and reservoir's sediment. Thickness of the growing medium was 10 cm over an alfisol clay soil. Experimental plots were constructed using factorial completely randomized design with two native zoysiagrasses and 5 types of growing media. Two ecotypes of native zoysiagrasses showed different in growth habits combined with mixtures of growth media. Zim showed higher growing speed including more vigor with uniformity and texture than Zis. There were not significanthly differences on leaf color and root length between two ecotypes of native zoysiagrasses collected in Indonesia.
Ecotype;Indonesia;Native zoysiagrass;Soil medium;Turfgrass quality
- Beard, J.B. 1973. Turfgrass: Science and Culture. Prantice-Hall, Inc., Engelwood Cliffs, NJ, USA.
- Beard, J.B. 1982. Turf management for golf course. Macmillan Publishing Co., NY, USA.
- Brosnan, J.T. and Deputy, J. 2008. Turf management: Seashore paspalum. Department of Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Hawai'i Manoa. http://hl-128-171-57-22.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/10125/12603/1/TM-1.pdf (Accessed Mar. 27, 2018)
- Carrow, R.N. and Petrovic, A.M. 1992. Effects of traffic on turfgrass. pp.285-330. In: Waddington, D.V., Carrow, R.N. and Shearman, R.C. (Eds). ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison, USA.
- Carrow, R.N. 1996. Drought resistance aspects of turfgrasses in the southeast: Root-shoot responses. Crop Sci. 36:687-694. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1996.0011183X003600030028x
- Christians, N.E. 1998. Fundamentals of turfgrass management. p.60. Ann Arbor Press. USA.
- Emmons, R.D. 2000. Turfgrass science and management. 3rd ed. p.528. Delmar Publisher, NY, USA.
- Hanna, A.Y., Harland, P.W. and Lewis, D.T. 1982. Soil available water as influenced by landscape position and aspect. Agron. J. 74: 999-1004. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1982.00021962007400060016x
- Harjadi, S.S. 1989. The agronomy. p.195. PT Gramedia, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Huang, Z.T. and Petrovic, A.M. 1994. Physical properties of sand as affected by clianoptilolite zeolite particle size and quality. J. Turf Management 1:1-15.
- Idjudin, A.A., Erfandi, D. and Sutono. S. 2010. Technology of improving volcanic land post eruption of Merapi Volcano. UGM, Jogjakarta, Indonesia.
- Johns, R. 2004. Turfgrass instalation management and maintenance. The Mc. Graw Hill Inc., NY, USA.
- Kartasapoetra, M.M.S. 2005. Technology conservation of soil and water Teknologi. PT Rineka Cipta, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Kellogg, E.A. 2013. C4 photosynthesis. Current Biology 23(14):594-599. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2013.02.021
- McCarty, L.B., Everest, J.W., Hall, D.W., Murphy, T.R. and Yeverton, F. 2001. Colour atlas of turfgrass weeds. Ann Arbor Press, Chelsea, USA.
- Patton, A.J. 2010. Selecting zoysiagrass cultivars: Turf quality and stress tolerance. Golf Course Management 78(5):90-95.
- Prasetyo, B.H. and Subardja, D. 1998. The relationship between landform, lithology, and land in the Citarum Basin, West Java. Juornal Tanah dan Iklim. 16:34-42.
- Rahayu, Zuamah H., Yang, G.M. and Choi, J.S. 2014. Growth of zoysiagrass and seashore paspalum on volcano eruption sand and clayey soil with organic and inorganic fertilizers in Indonesia. Weed Turf. Sci. 3(3):240-245. https://doi.org/10.5660/WTS.2014.3.3.240
- Sudaryo, S. 2010. Determination of metal content in sediment of Gajah Mungkur reservoir with rapid neutron activation analysis method. Seminar Nasional VI. Sdm Teknologi Nuklir. Yogyakarta, 18 November 2010. ISSN 1978-0176.
- Turgeon, A.J. 2002. Turfgrass management. 6th ed. Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, USA.
- Waltz, F.C., Quisenberry, V.L. and McCarty, L.B. 2003. Physical and hydraulic properties of rootzone mixes amended with inorganics for golf putting greens. Agron. J. 95:395-404. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2003.0395