- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Investigation on the Self-ignition of High-pressure Hydrogen in a Tube between Different Inner Diameter
튜브 직경에 따른 고압 수소의 자발 점화 현상에 대한 연구
- Kim, Sei Hwan (Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co., Ltd.) ;
- Jeung, In-Seuck (Department of aerospace engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Hyoung Jin (Department of aerospace engineering, Inha University)
- Received : 2018.01.26
- Accepted : 2018.03.05
- Published : 2018.03.30
Numerical simulations and experiments are performed to investigate the flame development inside tubes with different diameters at the same burst pressure. It is shown that generation of a stable flame play a role in self-ignition. In the smaller tube, multi-dimensional shock interaction is occurred near the diaphragm. After flame of a cross-section is developed, stable flame remains for a moment then it grows having enough energy to overcome the sudden release at the exit. Whereas shock interaction generate complex flow further downstream for a larger tube, it results in stretched flame. This dispersed flame has lower average temperature which makes it easily extinguished.
- Y. Suwa, H. Miyahara, K. Kubo, K. Yonezawa. Y. Ono and K. Mikoda, Design of Safe Hydrogen Refueling Stations against Gas-Leakage, Explosion and Accidental Automobile Collision, Proceedings of the 16th World Hydrogen Energy Conference, 2006, 139.
- G.R. Astbury, Review of Unidentified Ignition Sources of Unplanned Flammable Releases - Comparison of Offshore and Onshore data, Health & Safety Lab., 2006, Report HSL/2006/09.
- H. Wolanski and S. Wojcicki, Investigation into the Mechanism of the Diffusion Ignition of a Combustible Gas Flowing into an Oxidizing Atmosphere, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 14, 1973, 1217.
- F.L. Dryer, M. Chaos, Z. Zhao, J.N. Stein, J.Y. Alpert, C.J. Homer, Spontaneous Ignition of Pressurized Releases of Hydrogen and Natural Gas into Air, Combust. Sci. Tech., 179(4) (2007) 663-694. https://doi.org/10.1080/00102200600713583
- B.J. Lee, J.S. Jeung, Numerical Study of Spontaneous Ignition of Pressurized Hydrogen Released by the Failure of a Rupture Disk into a Tube, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 34(20) (2009) 8763-8769. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2009.08.034
- J.X. Wen, B.P. Xu, V.H. Y. Tam, Numerical Study on Spontaneous Ignition of Pressurized Hydrogen Release through a Length of Tube, Combust. Flame, 156(11) (2009) 2173-2189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2009.06.012
- H.J. Lee, Y.R. Kim, S.H. Kim and I.S. Jeung, Experimental Investigation on the Self-Ignition of Pressurized Hydrogen Released by the Failure of a Rupture Disk through Tubes, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 33, 2011, 2351-2358.
- T. Mogi, D. Kim, H. Shiina, S. Horiguchi, Self-Ignition and Explosion during Discharge of High Pressure Hydrogen, J. Loss Prevent. Proc., 21(2) (2008) 199-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2007.06.008
- Y. Wada, M.S. Liou, An Accurate and Robust Flux Splitting Scheme for Shock and Contact Discontinuities, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 18(3) (1997) 633-657. https://doi.org/10.1137/S1064827595287626
M.P. Burke, M. Chaos, Y. Ju, F.L. Dryer, S.J. Klippenstein, Comprehensive
$H_2/O_2$Kinetic Model for High-Pressure Combustion, Int. J. Chem. Kinet., 44(7) (2012) 444-474. https://doi.org/10.1002/kin.20603
- D.G. Goodwin, An Open-Source, Extensible Software Suite for CVD Process Simulation, Proceedings of CVD XVI and EuroCVD Fourteen, 2003, 155-162.
- C.R. Wilke. A Viscosity Equation for Gas Mixtures, J. Chem. Phys. 18(4) (1950) 517-522. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1747673
- S. Mathur, K. Tondon, S.C. Saxena, Thermal Conductivity of Binary, Ternary and Quaternary Mixtures of Rare Gases, Mol. Phys. 12(6) (1967) 569-579. https://doi.org/10.1080/00268976700100731
- H.J. Lee, S.D. Kim, S.H. Kim, I.S. Jeung, Numerical Investigation on the Self-Ignition of High-Pressure Hydrogen in a Tube Influenced by Burst Diaphragm Shape, J. Korean Soc. Combust., 18(3) (2015) 31-37. https://doi.org/10.15231/JKSC.2013.18.3.031
- H.J. Lee, J.H. Park, S.D. Kim, S. Kim and I.S. Jeung, Numerical Study on the Spontaneous-Ignition Features of High-Pressure Hydrogen Released through a Tube with Burst Condition, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 34, 2015, 2173-2180.
- H. Yamashita, M. Shimada and T. Takeno, A Numerical Study on Flame Stability at the Transition Point of Jet Diffusion Flames, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 26, 1996, 27-34.