- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Acoustic Coupling between Longitudinal and Transverse Modes in an Annular Gas Turbine Combustor
환형 가스터빈 연소기에서 종방향 및 횡방향 음향모드 커플링
- Kim, Jihwan (School of Mechanical and Authomotive Engineering, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Kim, Daesik (School of Mechanical and Authomotive Engineering, Gangneung-Wonju National University)
- Received : 2017.09.08
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.03.30
Transverse acoustic mode in annular combustion chambers affects air-fuel mixing characteristics in the nozzle and can result in heat release fluctuations in the combustor. In addition, the acoustic mode coupling between the nozzle and the combustion chamber is one of the key parameters determining combustion instability phenomenon in the annular combustor. In this study, acoustic coupling between the nozzle and annular combustor was numerically analyzed using 3D-based in house FEM code. As a result, it was found that the acoustic mode inside the combustion chamber at anti-node locations of the transverse mode was strongly influenced by the nozzle inlet boundary conditions.
Supported by : 산업통상자원부, 한국연구재단
- T. Lieuwen, H. Torres, C. Johnson, B.T. Zinn, A Mechanism of Combustion Instability in Lean Premixed Gas Turbine Combustors, J. Eng. Gas Turb. Power, 123(1) (2001) 182-189. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1339002
- F.E.C. Culick, A Note on Rayleigh's Criterion, Combust. Sci. Technol., 56(4) (1987) 159-166. https://doi.org/10.1080/00102208708947087
- J.W. Son, C.H. Shon, J.S. Yoon, Y.B. Yoon, Evaluation of Combustion Instability in a Model Gas Turbine Adopting Flame Transfer Function and Dynamic Mode Decomposition, J. Korean Soc. Combust., 22(2) (2017) 1-8. https://doi.org/10.15231/JKSC.2017.22.2.001
- Y.J. Shin, S.T. Jeon, Y.M. Kim, Combustion Instability Analysis of LIMOUSINE Burner Using LES-Based Combustion Model and Helmholtz Equation, J. Korean Soc. Combust., 22(3) (2017) 41-46. https://doi.org/10.15231/JKSC.2017.22.3.041
- J.J. Kim, J.S. Yoon, S.P. Joo, S.H. Kim, C.H. Shon, Y.B, Yoon, Combustion Instability Analysis of Partially Premixed Model Gas Turbine Combustor with 1D Lumped Method, J. Korean Soc. Combust., 22(1) (2017) 39-45. https://doi.org/10.15231/jksc.2017.22.1.039
- P. Wolf, R. Balakrishnam, G. Staffelbach, L. Gicquel, T. Poinsot, Using LES to Study Reacting Flows and Instabilities in Annular Combustion Chambers, Flow Turbul. Combust., 88(1-2) (2012) 191-206. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10494-011-9367-7
- Y. Danning, A Three-Dimensional Linear Acoustic Analysis of Gas-Turbine Combustion Instability, Ph.D. Thesis, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, 2004.
- S.K. Kim, D. Kim, D.J. Cha, Finite Element Analysis of Self-Excited Instabilities in a Lean Premixed Gas Turbine Combustor, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 120 (2018) 350-360. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.12.021
- J.M. Lim, D.S. Kim, 3D Acoustic Field Analysis in Annular Combustor System, J. Korean Soc. Propuls. Eng., 21(6) (2017) 49-56. https://doi.org/10.6108/KSPE.2017.21.6.049
- J.N. Kim, M.G. Yoon, D.S. Kim, Combustion Stability Analysis Using Feedback Transfer Function, J. Korean Soc. Combust., 21(3) (2016) 1-7. https://doi.org/10.15231/JKSC.2016.21.3.001
- J. Blimbaum, M. Zanchetta, V. Acharya, J. O'Connor, D.R. Noble, T. Lieuwen, Transverse to Longitudinal Acoustic Coupling Processes in Annular Combustion Chambers, Int. J. Spray Combust., 4 (4) (2012) 275-298. https://doi.org/10.1260/1756-8222.214.171.1245
- J.F. Bourgouin, D. Durox, J. Moeck, T. Schuller and S. Candel, Self-Sustained Instabilities in an Annular Combustor Coupled by Azimuthal Acoustic Models, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers TURBO EXPO, GT2013-95010, 2013, V01BT04A007.
- J. O'Connor, V. Acharya, T. Lieuwen, Transverse Combustion Instabilities: Acoustic, Fluid Mechanic, and Flame Processes, Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., 49 (2015) 1-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2015.01.001
- R. Lehoucq, D. Sorensen, ARPACK User's Guide: Solution of Large Scale Eigenvalue Problems with Implicitly restarted Arnoldi Methods, SIAM, Philadelphia, 1997. www.caam.rice.edu/software/ARPACK
- S.K. Kim, H.S. Choi, H.J. Kim, Y. Ko, C.H. Sohn, Finite Element Analysis for Acoustic Characteristics of Combustion Stabilization Devices, Aerosp. Sci. Technol., 42 (2015) 229-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2015.01.024
- B. Jones, Gas Turbine Combustor Design and Development, Short Course on Gas Turbine Combustor, Cranfield University, Cranfield, 2013.