Fig. 1. Metarhizium anisopliae infection of Protaetia brevitarsissleuensis at a farm in Korea.P. b. seluensis that died from M. anisopliae infection at P. b. seulensisfarms in Wanju and Cheongju, Korea, show dark green fungicovering their whole bodies.
Fig. 2. Comparison of Protaetia brevitarsis seluensis mortality betweenEM treatment and control groups in Metarhizium anisopliae sawdust.The mortality rate of the third instar P. b. seluensis larvaeunder both the sealed and ventiliated conditions was 100%after 30 days, but the mortality rate of the EM group was 23.3%.(Con. Ven.: Control ventilation condition, Con. Seal.: Control sealedcondition, A. seal.: Effective microorganism composite, sealed condition)(t-test: *** P < 0.001)
Fig. 3. Measurement of the growth inhibition zone and rate (%)against Metarhizium anisopliae for each EM. (A) In Sabourauddextrose agar medium, 200 μL of triple distilled water as a negativecontrol and 4 % sodium hypochlorite as a positive control wereevenly smeared using a sterilized glass rod before seeding M.anisopliae. A sample of 200 μL of Lactobacillus plantarum, Bacillussubtilis, and Saccharomyces cerevisiae were spread onto individual
Fig. 4. Measurement of mortality rate when EM was injected intoProtaetia brevitarsis seluensis by hemolymphatic injection.Mortality rate was examined when each EM was injected into third
Fig. 5. SEM of Metarhizium anisopliae treated the specificconcentrations of lactic acid The morphology of M. anisopliaeon SEM appeared not to be conidia but rather mycelia, andfungal sexual reproduction decreased. The size of sporesincreased and the mycelium became denser when treated lacticacid concentration to M. anisopliae was lower. This indicatedfungal conidial production was affected by specifc concentrationof lactic acid.
Supported by : National Institute of Agricultural Science
- Blagojev N, Skrinjar M, Veskovic-Moracanin S, Soso V (2012) Control of mould growth and mycotoxin production by lactic acid bacteria metabolites. Roman. Biotechnol Lett 17, 7219-7226.
- Chernaki-Leffer AM, Sosa-Gomez DR, Almeida LM (2007) Selection for entomopathogenic fungi and LD50 of Metarhizium anisopliae (Metsch.) Sorok. for the lesser mealworm Alphitobius diaperinus (Panzer) (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Revista Brasileira de Ciencia Avicola 9, 187-191. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-635X2007000300008
- Dal Bello F, Clarke CI, Ryan LAM, Ulmer H, Schober TJ, Strom K et al. (2007) Improvement of the quality and shelf life of wheat bread by fermentation with the antifungal strain Lactobacillus plantarum FST 1.7. J Cereal Sci 45, 309-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2006.09.004
- Grover RK, Moore JD (1962) Toximetric studies of fungicides against brown rot organisms, sclerotina-fructicola and S-laxa. Phytopathology 52, 876-880.
- Kang M, Kang C, Lee H, Kim E, Kim J, Kwon, O et al. (2011) Effects of fermented aloe vera mixed diet on larval growth of Protaetia brevitarsis seulensis and protective effects of its extract against CCl4-induced hepatotoxicity in Sprague-Dawley rats. Entomol Res 42, 275-299.
- Kim C, Lee J, Kim B, Lee M, Kang K, Joo W (2013) The optimal condition and enzyme activity of entomopathogenic fungus Beauveria bassiana using extracted rice bran. J Life Sci 23, 1010-1018.
- Kim HG, Park K, Lee S, Kwak K, Choi J. (2015) Effects of different diets and temperatures on larval growth of the white-spotted flower chafer, Protaetia brevitarsis (Kolbe) (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae). Int J Indust Entomol 31, 75-78. https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2015.31.2.75
- Kluge B, Vater J, Salnikow J, Eckart K (1988) Studies on the biosynthesis of surfactin, a lipopeptide antibiotic from Bacillus subtilis ATCC 21332. FEBS Lett 231, 107-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(88)80712-9
- Kwak K, Nam S, Choi J, Lee S, Kim H, Kim S et al. (2015) Simultaneous detection of fungal, bacterial, and viral pathogens in insects by multiplex PCR and capillary electrophoresis. Int J Indust Entomol 30, 64-74. https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2015.30.2.64
- Kwak K, Han M, Nam S, Park K, Kim E, Lee S, Choi J et al (2016) Effect of Saccharomyces cerevisiae consumption on the pathogenicity of Beauveria bassiana in Protaetia brevitarsis. Int J Indust Entomol 33(1), 1-5. https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2016.33.1.1
- Kwon H, Bang K, Cho S (2014) Characterization of the hemocytes in larvae of Protaetia brevitarsis seulensis: involvement of granulocyte-mediated phagocytosis. PloS One 9(8), 1-12.
- Li J, Yang Q, Zhao L, Wang Y (2008) Antifungal substance from biocontrol Bacillus subtilis B29 strain. China Biotechnol 28, 59-65 (in Chinese).
- Majumdar SK, Bose SK (1958) Mycobacillin, a new antifungal antibiotic produced by B. subtilis. Nature 181, 134-135. https://doi.org/10.1038/181134a0
- Moyne AL, Cleveland TE, Tuzun S (2004) Molecular characterization and analysis of operon encoding the antifungal lipopeptide bacillomycin D. FEMS Microbiol Lett 234, 43-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.2004.tb09511.x
- Pandey DK, Tripathi NN, Tripathi RO, Dixit SN (1982) Fungitoxic and phytotoxic properties of essential oil of Phylis sauvolensis. Pfkrankh. Pfschuz 89, 334-346.
- Pendland JC, Boucias DG (1998) Characterization of monoclonal antibodies against cell wall epitopes of the insect pathogenic fungus, Nomuraea rileyi: differential binding to fungal surfaces and cross-reactivity with host hemocytes and basement membrane components. Euro J C biol 75, 118-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0171-9335(98)80054-X
- Peypoux F, Pommier MT, Marion D, Ptak M, Das BC, Michel G (1986) Revised structure of mycosubtilin, a peptidolipid antibiotic from Bacillus subtilis. J Antibiotics 39, 636-641. https://doi.org/10.7164/antibiotics.39.636
- Shetty PH, Jespersen L (2006) Saccharomyces cerevisiae and lactic acid bacteria as potential mycotoxin decontaminating agents. Trends Food Sci Technol 17, 48-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2005.10.004
- Silman RW, Nelson TC, Bothast RJ (1991) Comparison of culture methods for production of Collectotrichum truncatum spore for use as a mycoherbicide. FEMS Microbiol Lett 78(1), 69-74.
- Strom K, Sjogren J, Broberg A, Schnurer J (2002) Lactobacillus plantarum MiLAB 393 produces the antifungal cyclic dipeptides cyclo (L-Phe-L-Pro) and cyclo (L-Phe-trans-4-OH-L-Pro) and 3-phenyllactic acid. Appl Environ Microbiol 68, 4322-4327. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.68.9.4322-4327.2002
- Tebbets B, Yu Z, Stewart D, Zhao LX, Jiang Y, Xu LH et al. (2013) Identification of antifungal natural products via Saccharomyces cerevisiae bioassay: insights into macrotetrolide drug spectrum, potency and mode of action. Med Mycol 51, 280-289. https://doi.org/10.3109/13693786.2012.710917
- Teixeira ML, Dalla Rosa A, Brandelli A (2013) Characterization of an antimicrobial peptide produced by Bacillus subtilis subsp. spizezinii showing inhibitory activity towards Haemophilus parasuis. Microbiol 159, 980-988. https://doi.org/10.1099/mic.0.062828-0
- Van Huis A, Van Itterbeeck J, Klunder H, Mertens E, Halloran A, Muir G et al. (2013) Edible insects: future prospects for food and feed security. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Rome.
- Yoo YC, Shin BH, Hong JH, Lee J, Chee HY, Song KS et al. (2007) Isolation of fatty acids with anticancer activity from Protaetia brevitarsis Larva. Arch Pharm Res 30, 361-365. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02977619
- Zimmermann G (2007) Review on safety of the entomopathogenic fungus Metarhizium anisopliae. Biocon Sci Technol 17, 879-920 https://doi.org/10.1080/09583150701593963
- Zars T (2003) Hot and cold in Drosophila larvae, Trends Neurosci 26, 575-577 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tins.2003.09.002