- Volume 16 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Sexual Counseling for People with Spinal Cord Injuries: The Application of Cognitive Behavior Therapy
척수장애인 성 상담을 위한 인지행동치료 적용에 관한 기초연구
- Shin, Sook-Kyung (Department of Rehabilitation, Jeonju University)
- 신숙경 (전주대 재활학과)
- Received : 2018.10.10
- Accepted : 2018.11.20
- Published : 2018.11.28
The number of individuals with spinal cord injuries in the most countries is rising each year. However, it is reported that most of them have sexual problem, however lack of research on deal with the issues related to sex identity and maladjustment in rehabilitation counseling setting. The purpose of this article: (a) to possess an adequate knowledge of the sexual problems facing individuals with spinal cord injuries; (b) to review past research on sexuality counseling with people who have spinal cord injuries; and (c) to present for some strategies for people with spinal cord injuries in order to sexuality adjustment, through Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Some suggestions are presented.
Sexual Counseling;Individuals with spinal cord injuries;Cognitive behavior counseling;Body image;Sexual maladjustment
- D. Falvo. (1999). Medical and Psychosocial Aspects of Chronic Illness and Disability. Gaithersburg, ML: Aspen Publication.
- H. S. Yoon, H. H. Park, C. U. Lee & S. H. Choi. (2017). The Analysis of Inactive People with Spinal Cord Injury, Legislation and Policy, 9(1), 395-419.
- S. Hochloski, S. Elliott, L. A. Brotto, E. Breckon & K. McBride. (2016). A Mindfulness Psychoeducational Group Intervention Targeting Sexual Adjustment for Women with Multiple Sclerosis and Spinal Cord Injury: A Pilot Study, Sexuality and Disability, 34(2), 183-198. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11195-016-9426-z
- P. W. New & K. E. Currie. (2016). Development of a Comprehensive Survey of Sexuality Issues Including a Self-report Version of the International Spinal Cord Injury Sexual Function Basic Data Sets, Spinal Cord, 54, 584-591. https://doi.org/10.1038/sc.2015.216
- D. A. Ohi, M. Carlsson, V. J. Stecher & G. A. Rippon. (2017). Efficacy and Safety of Sildenafil in Men With Sexual Dysfunction and Spinal Cord Injury, Sexual Medicine Reviews, 5(4), 521-528. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sxmr.2017.01.007
- J. G. Previnaire, J. M. Soler, M. S. Alexander, F. Countois, S. Elliott & A. McLain. (2017). Prediction of Sexual Function Following Spinal Cord Injury: A Case Series, Spinal Cord Series and Cases, 453-480.
- A. I. Cobo-Cuenca, A. Sampietro-Crespo, M. Virseda-Chamorro, N. Martin-Espinosa (2015), Pcychological Impact and Sexual Dysfunction in Men with and without Spinal Cord Injury, The Journal of Sexual Medicine 12(2), 436-444. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsm.12741
- J. Farrow. (1990). Sexuality Counseling with Clients who Have Spinal Cord Injuries. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin, 33(3), 251-259.
- F. Jeff. (1990). Sexuality Counseling with People who Have Spinal Cord Injuries. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin, 33(3), 251-253.
- M. D. Romano & R. E. Lassiter. (1972). Sexual Counseling with Spinal-cord Injured. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 53(12), 568-572.
- P. Jerry, A. Michael, D. Kathleen & J. Angela. (2001). Spinal Cord Injury and Sexuality in Married or Partnered Men: Activities, Function, Needs, and Predictors of Sexual Adjustment. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 30(6), 591-601. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011910900508
- T. D. Stewart. (1981). Sex, Spinal Cord Injury, and Staff Rapport. Rehabilitation Literature, 42, 347-350.
- D. Yashnon. (1978). Spinal Injury. New York: Appleton-Century-Crafts.
- C. DeLoach & B. G. Greer. (1981). Adjustment to Severe Physical Disability. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- H. Kaplan. (1979). Disorders of Sexual Desire and Other New Concepts and Techniques in Sex Therapy. New York: Brunner/Hazel Publications.
- J. Vargo. (1992). A Cognitive Approach to Counselling Clients with Physical Disabilities. In S. E. Robertson, & R. I. Brown Eds.), Rehabilitation counselling: Approaches in the field of disability. London: Chapman & Hall.
- H. S. Yoo & H. Y. Lee. (2014). Effect of Cognitive-Behavioral Group Counseling on Life Satisfaction in the Elderly in an Old People's Home, Korea Academy of Welfare Counseling education, 3(2), 1-16.
- M. V. James. (1992). A Cognitive Approach to Counseling People with Physical Disabilities. In Sharon, E. R. & Roy, L. B. (Eds), Rehabilitation Counseling.
- J. C. Teal & G. T. Athelstan. (1975). Sexuality and Spinal Cord Injury: Some Psychological Considerations. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 56, 264-280.
- Y. S. Oh & Y. S. Yoo. (2016). The Study of Christian Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Spinal Cord Injury Disabled: Based on the Truth Therapy, Journal of Counseling and Gospel, 24(2), 255-284. https://doi.org/10.17841/jocag.2016.24.2.255
- V. Raimy. (1975). Misunderstandigs of the Self, San Francisco: Jossey-Base.
- G. Corey. (2001). Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy. Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- B. A. Wright. (1983). Physical disability: A Psychosocial Approach(2nd ed.). New York: Harper & Row.
- L. R. Mona. (1998). Sexuality and Persons with Physical Disabilities: Unexplored no longer, Journal of Sex Research, 35(2), 217-220.
- L. S. Miller, W. E. Staas, G. J. & Jr, Herbison. (1975). Addominal Problems in Patients with Spinal Cord Lesions, Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 56(9), 513-516.
- W. J. Choi et al. (2018). The Effects of Convergent Reproductive Health Promotion Program for Korean University Students on Sexual Knowledge, Sexual Attitude, and Reproductive Health Promotiong Behavior, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(3), 145-152. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.3.145
- S. J. Woo & E. S. Lee. (2017). The Convergence Study on the Sexual Life Experience of Rectal Cancer Men. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(5), 233-241. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.5.233