- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Demographic Information, Knowledge of Doping and Education of Anti-doping on Attitude toward Doping among Elite Handball Players
엘리트 핸드볼 선수들의 인구통계학적 특성 및 도핑 관련 정보가 도핑에 대한 태도에 미치는 영향
- Chu, Zhesen (Department of Marine Sports, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Jae (Department of Marine Sports, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Taegyu (Department of Marine Sports, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2018.03.09
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
This study aimed to quantify the attitude toward doping among handball players and to identify the influence of players' demographic information, knowledge of doping, education of anti-doping on the attitudes toward doping. 385 elite handball players (193 adolescent players, 165 adult players) were participated in this study and filled in the questionnaire about demographic information, knowledge of doping, education of anti-doping and Performance Enhancement Attitude Scale (PEAS). Collected data were analyzed by Stepwise multiple linear regression. Adult players were more generous about doping than adolescents, and, adolescent players' attitudes toward doping were influenced by their gender and age. In adults, attitudes toward doping were related with only the gender. These results would be useful information to develop the effective anti-doping strategy for handball play.
- Bloodworth, A. & McNamee, M. (2010). Clean Olympians? Doping and anti-doping: The views of talented young British athletes. International Journal of Drug Policy, 21(4), 276-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2009.11.009
- Morente-Sanchez, J., & Zabala, M. (2013). Doping in sport: a review of elite athletes' attitudes, beliefs, and knowledge. Sports medicine, 43(6), 395-411. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-013-0037-x
- Petroczi, A. & Aidman, E. (2008). Psychological drivers in doping: the life-cycle model of performance enhancement. Substance abuse treatment, prevention, and policy, 3(1), 7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1747-597X-3-7
- Elbe, A., M. & Brand, R. (2016). The effect of an ethical decision-making training on young athletes' attitudes toward doping. Ethics & Behavior, 26(1), 32-44. https://doi.org/10.1080/10508422.2014.976864
- Houlihan, B. (1999). Dying to win: Doping in sport and the development of anti-doping policy. Strasbourg, France : Manhattan Publishing Co.
- Trout, G. J. & Kazlauskas, R. (2004). Sports drug testing -an analyst's perspective. Chemical society reviews, 33(1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1039/b201476a
- Sekulic, D., Tahiraj, E., Zvan, M., Zenic, N., Uljevic, O. & Lesnik, B. (2016). Doping attitudes and covariates of potential doping behaviour in high-level team-sport athletes; gender specific analysis. Journal of sports science & medicine, 15(4), 606.
- Erickson, K., McKenna, J., & Backhouse, S. H. (2015). A qualitative analysis of the factors that protect athletes against doping in sport. Psychology of sport and exercise, 16, 149-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2014.03.007
- Kisaalita, N. R. & Robinson, M. E. (2014). Attitudes and motivations of competitive cyclists regarding use of banned and legal performance enhancers. Journal of sports science & medicine, 13(1), 44.
- Sekulic, D., Bjelanovic, L., Pehar, M., Pelivan, K., & Zenic, N. (2014). Substance use and misuse and potential doping behaviour in rugby union players. Research in sports medicine, 22(3), 226-239. https://doi.org/10.1080/15438627.2014.915839
- Alaranta, A., Alaranta, H., Holmila, J., Palmu, P., Pietilä, K. & Helenius, I. (2006). Self-reported attitudes of elite athletes towards doping: differences between type of sport. International journal of sports medicine, 27(10), 842-846. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2005-872969
- Kondric, M., Sekulic, D., Petroczi, A., Ostojic, L., Rodek, J. & Ostojic, Z. (2011). Is there a danger for myopia in anti-doping education? Comparative analysis of substance use and misuse in Olympic racket sports calls for a broader approach. Substance abuse treatment, prevention, and policy, 6(1), 27. https://doi.org/10.1186/1747-597X-6-27
- Petroczi, A. & Aidman, E. (2009). Measuring explicit attitude toward doping: Review of the psychometric properties of the Performance Enhancement Attitude Scale. Psychology of sport and exercise, 10(3), 390-396. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2008.11.001
- Ntoumanis, N., Ng, J. Y., Barkoukis, V. & Backhouse, S. (2014). Personal and psychosocial predictors of doping use in physical activity settings: a meta-analysis. Sports medicine, 44(11), 1603-1624. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-014-0240-4
- Gorostiaga, E. M., Granados, C., Ibanez, J., Gonzalez-badillo, J. J. & Izquierdo, M. (2006). Effects of an entire season on physical fitness changes in elite male handball players. Medicine & science in sports & exercise, 38(2), 357-366. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.mss.0000184586.74398.03
- Ronglan, L., Raastad, T. & Borgesen, A. (2006). Neuromuscular fatigue and recovery in elite female handball players. Scandinavian journal of medicine & science in sports, 16(4), 267-273. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2005.00474.x
- Kim, E. & Kim, T. (2014). Attitudes and Dispositions toward Doping in Korean National Players. The Korea Journal of Sports Science, 23(1), 215-224.
- Petroczi, A. (2006). Measuring attitude toward doping: Further evidence for the psychometric properties of the Performance Enhancement Attitude Scale. Paper presented at the 14th Congress of the European Association for Sport Management. Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Kim, T. & Kim, Y. H. (2017). Korean national athletes' knowledge, practices, and attitudes of doping: a cross-sectional study. Substance abuse treatment, prevention, and policy, 12(1), 7. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13011-017-0092-7
- Manouchehri, J., & Tojari, F. (2013). Development and validation of instruments to measure doping attitudes and doping beliefs. Euro J Exp Bio, 3(2), 183-186.
- Petroczi, A. (2007). Attitudes and doping: a structural equation analysis of the relationship between athletes' attitudes, sport orientation and doping behaviour. Substance abuse treatment, prevention, and policy, 2(1), 34. https://doi.org/10.1186/1747-597X-2-34
- Kim, T. & Kim, E. (2013). Attitudes and Dispositions toward Doping in Adolescent Elite Athletes. The Korean Journal of Sports Medicine, 31(2), 99-106. https://doi.org/10.5763/kjsm.2013.31.2.99
- Wiefferink, C., Detmar, S., Coumans, B., Vogels, T., & Paulussen, T. (2007). Social psychological determinants of the use of performance-enhancing drugs by gym users. Health education research, 23(1), 70-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cym004
- Hauw, D., & Mohamed, S. (2015). Patterns in the situated activity of substance use in the careers of elite doping athletes. Psychology of sport and exercise, 16, 156-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2013.09.005
- Barkoukis, V., Lazuras, L. & Tsorbatzoudis, H. (2014). Beliefs about the causes of success in sports and susceptibility for doping use in adolescent athletes. Journal of sports sciences, 32(3), 212-219. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2013.819521
- Barkoukis, V., Kartali, K., Lazuras, L. & Tsorbatzoudis, H. (2016). Evaluation of an anti-doping intervention for adolescents: Findings from a school-based study. Sport management review, 19(1), 23-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smr.2015.12.003
- Bloodworth, A., Petróczi, A., Bailey, R., Pearce, G. & McNamee, M. (2012). Doping and supplementation: the attitudes of talented young athletes. Scandinavian journal of medicine & science in sports, 22(2), 293-301. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2010.01239.x
- Nicholls, A. R., Madigan, D. J. & Levy, A. R. (2017). A confirmatory factor analysis of the performance enhancement attitude scale for adult and adolescent athletes. Psychology of sport and exercise, 28, 100-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2016.10.010
- Gucciardi, D. F., Jalleh, G. & Donovan, R. J. (2010). Does social desirability influence the relationship between doping attitudes and doping susceptibility in athletes? Psychology of sport and exercise, 11(6), 479-486. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2010.06.002
- Zucchetti, G., Candela, F., & Villosio, C. (2015). Psychological and social correlates of doping attitudes among Italian athletes. International Journal of Drug Policy, 26(2), 162-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2014.07.021
- Blank, C., Kopp, M., Niedermeier, M., Schnitzer, M. & Schobersberger, W. (2016). Predictors of doping intentions, susceptibility, and behaviour of elite athletes: a meta-analytic review. Springer Plus, 5(1), 1333. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-3000-0
- Rodek, J., Sekulic, D., & Kondric, M. (2012). Dietary supplementation and doping-related factors in high-level sailing. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 9(1), 51. https://doi.org/10.1186/1550-2783-9-51
- Kondric, M., Sekulic, D. & Mandic, G. F. (2010). Substance use and misuse among Slovenian table tennis players. Substance use & misuse, 45(4), 543-553. https://doi.org/10.3109/10826080903452553
- Bae, M., Yoon, J., Kang, H. & Kim, T. (2017). Influences of perfectionism and motivational climate on attitudes towards doping among Korean national athletes: a cross sectional study. Substance abuse treatment, prevention, and policy, 12(1), 52. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13011-017-0138-x
- Korea Anti-Doping Agency Home Page. http://www.kada-ad.or.kr/ Retrieved Mar. 1, 2018.
- Kim, T., Cha, J., H., Cha, K., S. & Kim, K., H. (2016). A Study of Factors influencing the Attitudes and Dispositions of Doping in Elite Golf Players. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(8), 527-536. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.527
- Bum, C., H., Yoo, C., K. & Jung, C., K. (2017). A Convergence Study on the Relationship between Perfectionism, Stress, and Burnout among College Golf Athletes. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(2), 243-252. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.2.243