- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Haiku Writing on Mindfulness and Empathy Cultivating of the Graduate Students Majoring in Clinical Psychology
하이쿠 시 짓기가 임상심리학 전공 대학원생들의 마음챙김과 감정이입 함양에 미치는 효과
- Kang, HyeJa (Dept. of Psychology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Son, ChongNak (Dept. of Psychology, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2018.01.26
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of Haiku writing on mindfulness and empathy cultivating of the graduate students majoring in clinical psychology, and that it would also serve as enhancements of self-compassion and acceptance. Twenty-two graduate students in clinical psychology were to writing a Haiku poem about nature, the situation and themselves during a semester. Before and after the Haiku Writing Programme, mindfulness, empathy, self-compassion, and acceptance were measured and the subjective responses were analyzed after the programme was completed. The results of the study are as follows : First of all, quantitative analyses shows that Haiku writing has a significant effects on mindfulness, empathy, self-compassion and acceptance. Even in qualitative analyses, there are positive changes on those constructs in Haiku writing. Finally, the meaningfulness of the study, limitations, and recommendations for future work were discussed.
Haiku;Mindfulness;Empathy;Self-compassion;Acceptance;Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- H. Kohut. (1977). The restoration of the self. New York: International University Press.
- H. Kohut. (1984). How does analysis cure? p. 18. Chicago: University of Chicago.
- W. Mischel, Y. Shoda, & R. E. Smith. (2004). Introduction to personality: Toward an integration (7th ed.). Wiley & Sons.
- I. Prekop. (2002). Einfuhlung oder die Intelligenz des Herzens. Munchen: Kosel-Verlag.
- ChadeMeng Tan. (2012). Search inside yourself. Harper Collins.
- C. Davis. (1990). What is empathy, can it be taught? Physical Therapy, 70(11), 32-366. Retrieved from http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/70/11.toc
- R. Furman. (2005). Using poetry and written exercise to teach empathy. Journal of Poetry Therapy, 18(2), 103-110. https://doi.org/10.1080/08893670500140549
- S. Gair. (2012). Haiku as a creative writing approach to explore empathy with social work students: A classroom-based inquiry. Journal of Poetry Therapy, 25(2), 69-82. https://doi.org/10.1080/08893675.2012.680717
- M. Hojat. (2007). Empathy in patient care. New York: Springer.
- C. White, R. Perman, J. Fantone, & A. Kumagai. (2010). The interpretive project: A creative educational approach to forter medical students' reflection and advancing humanitistic medicine." Reflective Practice, 11(4), 517-527. https://doi.org/10.1080/14623943.2010.505718
- D. Tirch, B. Schoendorff, & L. R. Silberstein. (2014). The ACT practitioner's guide to the science of compassion: Tools for fostering psychological flexibility. New Harbinger.
- D. Y. Kim & C. N. Son. (2017). The effect of Mindfulness-Based Teenager Suicide Prevention Program on the reduction of complex PTSD and suicide ideation of school violence victims. International Journal of Pharama and Bio Science, Apr; Special Issue SP-05 'Science and Management'.
- J. Block-Lerner, C. Adair, J. C. Plumb, D. L. Rhatigan, & S. M. Orsillo. (2007). The case for mindfulness-based approachs in the cultivation of empathy: Does nonjudgemental, present-moment awareness increase capacity for perspective-taking and empathic concern? Journal of Marital & Family Therapy, 33(4), 501-516. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-0606.2007.00034.x
- M. K. Ligocki. (2010). The constructs of empathy, mindfulness, self-compassion and self-rumination: An exploratory factor analysis. Doctoral dissertation, University of Houston.
- J. Kabat-Zinn. (2012). Mindfulness and Mind-Body healing: Focused on MBSR. Materials for the Special Lecture, 2012 Fall Korean Association of Budhism and Psychotherapy.
- J. F. Feist & E. L. Rosenberg. (2010). Psychology: Making connections. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- D. J. Siegel. (2007). Mindfulness training and neural integration: differentiation of distinct streams of awareness and the cultivation of well-being. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 2(4), 259-263, https://doi.org/10.1093/scan/nsm034 https://doi.org/10.1093/scan/nsm034
- P. Collard & J. Walsh. (2008). Sensory Awareness Mindfulness Training in Coaching: Accepting Life's Challenges. Journal of Rational-Emotive & Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, 26(1), 30-37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10942-007-0071-4
- J. Kabat-Zinn. (2005). Coming to our senses. New York: Hyperion.
- J. H. Kim. (2016). Manual of Mindfulness Meditation. Seoul: Solkwahak.
- J. Kim. (2011). Effects of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy(MBCT) on empathy. Korean Journal of Conunseling and Psychotherapy, 23(1), 27-45.
- J. H. Kim. (2004). The issues on interpretation of 'inwardly' and 'ottwardly' in mindfulness meditation. Duksung Journal of Social Sciences, 10, 143-145.
- J. E. Shim & H. K. Yun. (2008). The adaptation of mindfulness on counselor education. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 13(2), 307-328. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2008.13.2.002
- S. J. Lee, D. H. Park, & W. S. Kim. (2011). Effects of mindfulness on empathy. Korean Journal of Meditation. 2(1), 47-61.
- P. Fulton, C. Germer, & R. Siegel. (2005). Mindfulness and psychotherapy. New York: Guilford Press.
- C. Hayes & K. D. Strosahl. (2004). A practical guide to Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. New York: Springer.
- J. Kabat-Zinn. (1998). Influence of a mindfulness meditation-based stress reduction intervention on rates of skin clearing in patients with moderate to severe psoriasis undergoing phototherapy (UVB) and photochemotherapy (PUVA). Psychosomatic Medicine, 50. 625-632.
- J. C. Plumb, S. M. Orsillo, & J. A. Luterek. (2004). A preliminary test of the role of experiential avoidance in post-event functioning. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 35, 245-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbtep.2004.04.011
- Z. V. Segal, J, M. Williams, & J. D. Teasdale. (2002). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for depression: A new to preventing relapse. New York: Guilford Press.
- Pennebaker, J. "Writing about emotional experiences as a therapeutic process." Psychological Science, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 162-166. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.1997.tb00403.x
- J. W. Pennebaker & J. D. Segal. (1999). Forming a story: The health benefits of narrative. Journal of Clinical Psycholgy, 55(10), 1243-1254. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4679(199910)55:10<1243::AID-JCLP6>3.0.CO;2-N
- M. White & D. Epstein. (1990). Narrative means to therapeutic ends. New York: Norton and Company.
- B. Wingard & J. Lester. (2001). Telling stories in ways that make us stronger. Adelaide, Australis: Dulwich Centre Publications.
- T. Williams. ( 2011). A poetry therapy model for the literature classroom. Journal of Poetry Therapy, 24(1), 17-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/08893675.2011.549682
- F. C. Biley & J. Champney-Smith. (2003). "Attimpting to say something without saying it...": Writing haiku in health care education. Medical Humanities, 29(1), 39-42.
- K. T. Stephenson. (2009). Extending the writing paradigm: Is writing Haiku poetry healing? Master of Science Thesis. Texas A&M University.
- Y. J. Cheon. (2004). Put eternity in the moment. Seoul: Changbi Publisher.
- C. N. Son. (2015). Understanding, using, and creating metaphors with relational frame perspectives in acceptance-commitment therapy. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 20(2), 371-389. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2015.20.2.001
- S. H. Park. (2006). Development of the Mindfulness Scale. Doctoral dissertation. Catholic University, Seoul.
- M. H. Davis. (1994). Empathy: A social psychological approach. Madison, WI: Brown & Benchmark.
- H. J. Cho. (2006). The relationship between empathy and altruistic disposition. M.A. Thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- K. D. Neff. (2003). The development and validation of a Scale to measure sdlf-cpmpassion. Self and identity, 2, 223-250. https://doi.org/10.1080/15298860309027
- K. E. Kim, G. D. Yi, Y. R. Cho, S. H. Chai, & W. K. Lee. (2008). The validation study of the Korean version of the Self-Compassion Scale. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 13(4), 1023-1044. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2008.13.4.012
- S. Y. Lee & C. Y. Ahn. (2012). The Process Variables of Acceptance-Commitment Group Therapy for Anxiety and Effect. Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 24(2), 223-254.
- J. Bauer. (2005). Warum ich fuhle, was du fuhlst. Hoffmann und Campe Verlag.