- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Yoga Self-help Management Program for the Patients with Fibromyalgia syndrome Effect on Health status and Depression
요가자조관리 프로그램이 섬유근통증후군환자의 건강상태와 우울에 미치는 영향
- Lim, Kyoung-Suk (Dept. of Nursing, Songwon University)
- 임경숙 (송원대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.10.19
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of yoga self-help management program on the health status and depression of patients with fibromyalgia syndrome. The subjects who participated in the study were patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia syndrome at a university hospital in G city. The total number of participants was 43, 21 in the experimental group and 22 in the control group. For the experimental group, a total of 16 yoga self-help management programs were held twice a week for eight weeks at the yoga center, and yoga DVDs, photographs, and educational booklets developed for the home were provided. The control group was subjected to pre - test and post - test without intervention. Data were analyzed using SPSS/WIN 18.0 program. As a result of the study, it was found that the experimental group had significantly improved health status(Tender point, FIQ) and the depression was lower than the control group, which was effective in the intervention strategy of the fibromyalgia syndrome patients.
Yoga self-help management Program(YSHP);Fibromyalgia syndrome;Depression;Tender point;FIQ(Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire)
Supported by : Songwon University
- J. M. Lee. (2017). Literature Review of Korean Medicine Studies for Fibromyalgia Syndrome. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, 27(3), 55-66. DOI : 10.18325/kmr..2017.27.2.55
- J. H. Yun, J. M. Kang, K. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, T. H. Kim & Y. W. Park. (2004). Health-Related Quality of Life in Korean Patients with Chronic Diseases. The Journal of the Korean Rheumatism Association, 11(3), 263-274.
- Goldenberg, D. L. (2009). Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of fibromyalgia. American Journal of Medicine, 122, 14-21.
- S. S. Lee. (2006). Clinical rheumatology first edition, Korean Medical History, 582-602.
- S. H. Kim, G. R. Bae & H. S. Lim. (2006). Prevalence and Risk Factors of Fibromyalgia Syndrome and Chronic Widespread Pain in Two Communities in Korea-First Report in Korean. Journal of Korean Rheumatism Association, 13(1), 18-25.
- Redondo, J. R., Justo, C. M., Moraleda, F. V., Velayos, Y. G., Puche, J. J., Zubero, J. R., et al. (2004). Long term efficacy of therapy in patients with fibromyalgia: A Physical exercise-based program and a cognitive-behavioral approach. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 51(2), 184-192. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.20252
- Clauw, D. J.(2007). Fibormyalgia, In: Hochberg, M. C., Silman, A. J., Smolen, J. S., Weinblatt, M. E., Weisman, M. H. eds. Rheumatology 4th ed. New York: Mosby, 701-711.
- Jones, K D. & Clark, S. R. (2002). Individualizing the exercise prescription for persons with fibromyalgia, Rheumatic Diseases Clinics of North America, 20(2), 419-436.
- Kingsley, J. D., Panton, L. B., Toole, T., Siritheinthad, P., Mathis, R., & McMillan, V. (2005). The effects of a 12 week strength-training program on strength and function in women with fibromyalgia. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 86, 1713-1721. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2005.04.014
- Carson, J. W., Carson, K. M., Jones, K. D., Bennett, R. M., Wright, C. L., & Mist, S. D. (2010). A pilot randomized controlled trial of the Yoga of Awareness program in the management of fibromyalgia. Pain. 5(2), 530-539.
- Silva, G. D., Lorenzi-Filho, G., & Lage, L. V. (2007). Effects of yoga and the addition of tui na in patients with fibromyalgia. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine,13(10), 1107-1113. DOI : 10.1019/acm.2007.0615. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2007.0615
- Y. J. Lee & N. Y. Lim. (2009). Effects of Tai Chi Exercise Program on Physical Fitness, Pain, and Self-efficacy in Patients with Osteoarthritis. The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 16(1), 26-35.
- S. S. Han & K. A. Cho. (2007). The Effect of a Self-Help Program for Patient with Fibromyalgia. Korean Journal of Health Promotion, 7(4), 264-275,
- S. S. Han & Y. S. Park. (1998). The Effect of a Tai-Chi Self-helf Program for Fibromyalgia Patient. The journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 14(2), 169-180.
- Gowans, S. E., & Abbey, S. E.(2004). Six month and One year follow up of 23 weeks of aerobic exercise for individuals with fibromyalgia. Arthritis Care & Research, 51(6), 890-898. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.20828
- H. Y. Lee, Y. S. Park, J. H. Choi, S. H. Lee & A. Y. Eom. (2011). Impact of a Cryotherapy and Tai Chi Self-help Programon Women with Fibromyalgia Syndrome. The Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 23(1), 10-19.
- T. G. Yoon. (2016). Effects of 12 weeks of yoga training program on fitness, respiratory circulation function, and stress and depression index in middle-aged woman. Doctoral dissertation, KyungHee University, Seoul.
- Y. S. Yook. (2009). Qualitative Research on the Effects of Yoga and Respiration Meditation of Female College Students. Journal of Korean society of sport psychology, 20(3), 117-131.
- E. N. Lee, H. J. An, Y. S. Song, J. H. Kim, H. J. Cho & M. H. Lee. (2009). The Effects of a 4-Weeks Yoga Program on Mental Ill Inpatients' Anxiety and Depression. Korean Journal of Psychiatric Nursing, 17(2), 161-170.
- J. Y. Huh & H. J. An. (2007). The effects of yoga performance on mental health in menopause women. Journal of Korean Society for Sports Science, 16(2), 361-371.
- Y. G. Kim. (2009). The effects of Yoga exercise program on lumbar muscle function in low back pain patients. Journal of Korean Society for Sports Science, 18(4), 949-957.
- S. H. Ha & Y. O. Seo. (2008). Use of the Complementary and Alternative Therapies, Pain and Quality of Life in Patients with Chronic Back Pain. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing, 11(1), 5-12.
- Wren, A. A., Wright, M. A., Carson, J. W., & Keefe, F. J. (2011). Yoga for persistent pain: new findings and directions for an ancient practice. Pain, 152(3), 477-480. DOI : 10.1016/i.pain.2010.11.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2010.11.017
- Kathryn, C., Anna, O. & Joel, K. (2011). An eight-week yoga intervention is associated with improvement in pain, psychological function and mindfullness, and changes in cortisol levels in women with fibromyalgia. Journal of Pain Research, 4, 189-201. DOI : 10.2147/JPR.S22761
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Burchner, A., & Lang, A. G.(2009). Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: tests for correlation and regression analyses. Christian-Albrechts-Universitat, Kiel, Germany,
- Korean Rheumatology Health Professions Society.(2002). Practice of self-help management of osteoarthritis patients. SinGwang Press.
- M. O. Goo Y. S. Kang, E. S. Kim, E. H. Kim & H. R. An. (2002). Younger and lively: Hyunmoonsa Press.
- Korean Rheumatology Health Professions Society.(2003). Improving Aquatic Exercise Process for Arthritis Patients. SinGwang Press,
- H. I. Yang, W. S. Park & S. S. Han. (2006). Fibromyalgia. [Brochure]. Seoul.
- Burckhardt, C. S., Clark, S. R., & Bennett, R. M. (1991). The fibromyalgai impact questionnaire: development and validation. Journal of Rheumatology, 18, 728-733.
- Kim, Y. A., Lee, S. S., & Park, K. S. (2002). Validation of a Korean version of the fibromyalgia impact questionnaire. Journal of Korean Medical Science, 17, 220-224.
- Buskila. D. & Neumann. L. (1997). Increased Rates of Fibromyalgia Following Cervical Spine Injury: A Controlled Study of 161 Cases of Traumatic Injury. Arthritis & Rheumatology, 40(3), 446-452. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780400310
- Beck, A. T. (1967). Depression Cause and Treatment. Philadelphia University of Pensilvenia Press.
- H. M. Han, T. H. Yeom. Y. W. Shin, G. H. Kim, D. J. Yoon & G. J. Jeong. (1986). Standardization Study of Beck Depression Inventory in Korea. Journal of the korean neuropsychiatric association, 125(3), 487-500.
- H. Joo. (2009). Effects of storytelling art therapy on pain and quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome. Doctoral dissertation, Won Kwang University, Seoull.
- Chenchen, W., Christopher, H. S., Ramel, R., Robert, K., Janeth, Y., Don, L. G., et al. (2010). A Randomized trial of Tai Chi for fibromyalgia. New England. Journal of Medicine, 368(8), 743-754. DOI : 10.1056/NEJMoa0912611
- S. S. Han. (1998). Effects of a Self-Help Program including Stretching Exercise on Reduction of Symptom in Patients with Fibromyalgia. The journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 5(1), 39-56.
- Gracely, R. H,, Ceko, M., & Bushnell, M. C.(2012). Fibromyalgia and depression. Pain Research and Treatment. 2012. DOI : 10.1155/2012/486590
- Crofford, L. J., & Appleton, B. E. (2001). Complementary and alternative therapies for fibromyalgia. Current Rheumatology Reports, 3(2), 147-156. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11926-001-0010-9
- S. S. Han & S. C. Lee. (2005). Effecting Factors on Depression in Patients with Fibromyalgia. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33(1), 87-94.
- Rooks, D. S., Gautam, S., Romeling, M., Cross, M. L., Stratigakis, D., Evans, B., et al. (2007). Group Exercise, Education, and Combination Self-management in Women With Fibromyalgia. Archives of Internal Medicine, 167(20), 2192-2200. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.167.20.2192