- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study on Fostering Empathy by Design Education -Focusing on Elementary Education-
디자인 교육을 통한 공감능력 함양에 관한 예비적 고찰 -초등교육을 중심으로-
- Jeong, Won-Joon (Dept. of Product Design, HongIk University, International Design School for Advanced Studies) ;
- Kim, Chang-Hyun (Dept. of Product Design, HongIk University, International Design School for Advanced Studies) ;
- Kim, Seung-In (Digital Design, HongIk University, International Design School for Advanced Studies)
- Received : 2017.12.08
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
The purpose of this study is to suggest the necessity of fostering empathy through design education since elementary education in order to develop human resources required in the artificial intelligence society. First we studied the definition, necessity and the present domestic state of design education. Also studied the elements of empathy, its necessity in the age of artificial intelligence, and how children can enhance empathy. Finally, we researched cases of design and empathy education abroad. In conclusion, the Nordic countries have developed social innovations through design and high levels of empathy. Also, design education in the form of playing with the process of communication, discussion and cooperation is important. Based on this study, we hope various design education programs develop that can foster empathy.
- H. Y. Ahn. (2017). A Study on teaching methodology of design thinking process to improve empathy ability : focusing on d.school's design thinking process. Master's dissertation. Seoul National University of Education, Seoul.
- Presidential Committee for National Cohesion. (2015). Decreasing communication between family members. Naver Blog. http://pcnc11.blog.me/220351498912
- S. J. Yoon & H. J. Kim. (2013). The relation between Parents-Adolescent Communication and Family Resilience of University Students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 11(8), 23-30. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.8.023
- Y. K. Kwon & S. T. Lim. (2017). A study on combined education for design thinking : focusing on Stanford D.School curriculum. Journal of Communication Design, 60, 8-18.
- J. M. Lee. (2007). A study on the development of design education contents for children's creativity development and plans to utilize them. Master's dissertation. Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- S. Y. Yoon. (2005). A study on the design-based education : as shown in the art textbook for grades 3 and 4 at elementary school. Master's dissertation. Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Y. O. Jeon. (2017). Analysis of Social Innovation Paradigm of Northen European Design Governance - Focusing on Design-driven Social Innovation Cases in Finland, Denmark and Germany. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(9), 463-470. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.9.463
- H. K. Hong & J. K. Kim. (2011). The Elementary School Design Education Present Condition and Teaching Guide Suggestion for Solving the Problem Creatively - Focus on Elementary School 3-4 Grade. Archives of Design Research, 24(3), 321-338.
- S. G. Lee. (2017). Pyeongtaek-si, visiting universal design field experience education. Incheonilbo. http://www.incheonilbo.com/?mod=news&act=articleVie w&idxno=784925
- T. S. Lee. (2017). Seoul elementary school organizes universal design as regular curriculum. Yonhapnews. http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2017/08/23/020000 0000AKR20170823177300004.HTML?input=1195m
- K. I. Shin. (1994). (The) development and application of an empathy training program for counselor education. Doctoral. dissertation. Busan University, Busan.
- J. L. Lim. (2017). Age of AI, jobs that will survive?...ability to communicate and empathize. Joonangilbo. http://news.joins.com/article/21813512
- SKT Insight. (2017). No need of robots doing tests in the 4th industrial revolution. SKT Insight. http://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=9447359&memberNo=34920570&vType=VERTICAL
- M. Beck & B. Libert. (2017). The rise of AI makes emotional intelligence more important. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2017/02/the-rise-of-ai-makes-emotional -intelligence-more-important
- S. K. Shin. (2008). An analysis on the young children's communication strategies, social behavior, and problem-solving ability with the types of play. Doctoral dissertation. Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- S. S. Jeon. (2009). Instruction program development of integrated early design based on play and experience. Art Education Research Review, 23(1), 175-210.
- D. Y. Kim. (2016). Empathy ability of danish people are learned not born with. Ttimes. http://www.ttimes.co.kr/view.html?no=2016082318177766477
- C. H. Lee. (2013). A Study on the Research for Education Plan of Focused on Design in Secondary Schools. Master's dissertation. Donga University, Busan.
- EBS. (2006). Finland design education. EBS. http://m.clipbank.ebs.co.kr/clip/view?clipId=VOD_201112 23_00063
- C. J. A. (2013). A comparative study on high school art curriculums in Korea and Sweden. Master's dissertation. Sungshin University, Seoul.