- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Differences in Smartphone Addiction and Communcation Ability according to Emotional Intelligence in Nursing Students
간호대학생의 감성지능 수준에 따른 스마트폰 중독과 의사소통능력의 차이
- Lee, Oi Sun (Department of Nursing, Changshin University) ;
- Gu, Hye Ja (Department of Nursing, Kyunsung University)
- Received : 2018.01.10
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
The purpose of this study is to identify differences in Smartphone adiction and communcation ablity according to the degree of emotional intelligence in nursing students. Subjects were 228 associate nursing students from the population that atttend 2 university in B and C city. The data were collected using self-report questionnaire from November 28 to December 16, 2016. Data were analyzed by frequencies, Independent t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation using SPSS Win 23.0. Emotional intelligence level were no significantly correlation with smartphone adiction. But the subscales of emotional intelligence(use of emotionals and regulator of emotionals) were a negative correlation smartphone addiction in nursing students. The higher the level of use of emotionals and regulator of emotionals, the lower the smartphone adiction. Emotional intelligence level were positive correlation with communcation ablity in nursing students. The higher the level of emotional intelligence, the higher the communication ability. Therefore, To reduce smartphone adiction and to increase communcation ablity of nursing students, it is necessary to develop and test the program for increase emotional intelligence level of nursing students.
Emotional intelligence;Communcation ability;Smartphone addiction;Nursing students;Differences
- Y. J. Oi. (2008). The Development and Effectiveness of the Communication Empowerment Program for Nursing Students : based on the Theory of Transfer of Learning. .Unpublished doctor's thesis, Korea University, Seoul.
- T. J. X. Jasmine. (2009). The use of effective therapeutic communication skills in nursing practice. Singapore nursing journal, 36(1), 35-40.
- S. Y. Jung. (2013). The structural model of clinical performance ability for nursing students. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 15(6), 3333-3352.
- M. S. Seo & Y. I. Park. (2016). The Communication Styles and Nursing Service Satisfaction of Clinical Research Nurses Perceived by Clinical Subjects. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 22(4), 559-566. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.559
- H. L. Seo, H. K. Eom, Y. K. Seo, M. J. Choi, S. I. Im, & S. M. Shin. (2016). Relationship among Nurses' Communication Style, Nursing Service Satisfaction Hospital Service Satisfaction Perceived by Patients' Family and Intent to Revisit the Hospital. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 22(3), 368-378.
- Y. C. Park & H. S. Park. (2016). Clinical competence and organizational socialization according to communication style of preceptors as perceived by new nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 23(1), 42-50. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2016.23.1.42
- E. J. Ji. (2014). Influence of nursing professionalism, empathic ability on communication ability in senior nursing student. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 16(3), 1685-1697.
- O. S., Lee & M. O. Gu. (2013). The relationship between emotional intelligence and communication skill, clinical competence &clinical practice stress in nursing students. Journal of the korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 14(6), 2749-2759. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749
- S. H., Lee & S. E. Chung. (2014). Influencing factors of critical thinking disposition and self-esteem on communication competence among nursing students. J Korea Contents Assoc, 14(12), 340-349.
- J. K. Bae & H. M. Jeong. (2008). An empirical study on the determinants factors by including functional attributes of smart phone adoption. The e-Business Studies, 9(4), 337-361. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.9.4.200811.337
- E. Y. Koh & E. H. Kim. (2017). The Impacts of anxiety and depression on smartphone addiction : Focusing on the moderating effect of gender. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(5), 419-429. DOI : http://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.419 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.419
- I. G. Kim, S. W. Park & H. M. Cho. (2017). The Relationship among Smartphone addiction, Communication ability, Loneliness and Interpersonal relationship for university students. The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 18(1), 637-648. DOI://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.637 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.637
- G. S. Seo & S. Y. Bang. (2017). The relationship among smartphone addiction, life stress, and family communication in nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 18(4), 398-407. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.398
- C. S. Wong & K. S. Law. (2002). The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study. The leadership quarterly, 13(3), 243-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- S. A. Park & K. W. Park. (2017). The Effects of College Students' Emotional Expressiveness on their Smart Phone Addiction : The Mediating Effects of Self Concept. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(9), 255-263. DOI : http://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.9.255 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.4.255
- M. J. Lee.(2009). Differences of Emotional Intelligence and Interpersonal Relationship Disposition according to the Internet Addiction Tendency in Adolescents. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 19(11), 201-211,
- O. S. Lee & M. J. Kim. (2017). The relationship among Smartphone addiction, Emotional intelligence, Critical thinking disposition and Communication skill for nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(7), 319-328. DOI : http://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.7.319 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.7.319
- J. E. Song & H. J. Chae. (2014). Differences in stress and stress coping strategies according to emotional intelligence in nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 20(4), 502-512. DOI : http://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.503 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.502
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner & A. G. Lang. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G* Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior research methods, 41(4), 1149-1160. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- P. J. Hwang. (2007). A study on the influence of an employee's emotional intelligence on Organizational effectiveness. Unpublished master's thesis, Sogang University, Seoul.
- National Information Society Agency. Development of Smartphone Addiction Proneness Scale. Seoul: National Information Society Agency.
- R. B. Rubin. (1990). Communication competence. In: Phillips GM, Wood JT, editors. Speech communication: Essays to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Speech Communication Association. Carbondale, IL:Southern Illinois University Press; 94-129.
- G. H. Hur. (2003). Construction and validation of a global interpersonal communication competence scale. Korean Journal of Journalism &Communication Studies, 47(6), 380-408.
- W. AbdelKader & M. Elnakeeb. (2017). The relationship between the use of media and emotional intelligence among youth nursing students. Journal of Nursing and Health Science, 6(5), 63-77.
- J. E. Choi, E. J. Seo, E. H. Lee. & M. S. Yoo. (2014). Smartphone Addiction, Emotional Intelligence, and Self-control in College Students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Home Health Care Nursing, 21(1), 44-51. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2017.02.11.2.217
- V. Deursen, A. J. Bolle, C. L. Hegner, S. M., & P. A. Kommers. (2015). Modeling habitual and addictive smartphone behavior: The role of smartphone usage types, emotional intelligence, social stress, self-regulation, age, and gender. Computers in human behavior, 45, 411-420. DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2014.12.039 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.12.039
- H. H. Park, M. Y. Jang. (2017). The Effect of Nursing Students' Smartphone Addiction and Emotional Intelligence Level on Quality of Life. The Journal of Korea Entertainment Industry Association, 11(2), 217-227. DOI :10.21184/jkeia.2017.02.11.2.217
- M. K. Ji, Y. M. Kim & S. Y. Kim. (2017). The Structural Relationships among Sports Activity Engagement, Emotional Intelligence, Smart Phone Addiction and Antisocial Tendency for Adolescents. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 56(3), 271-282.
- H. M. Lee. (2008). Commitment and emotional intelligence of elementary school students and the relationship between the Internet. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul.
- Ahn, H. Y. (2003). The relationship between internet addiction, emotional intelligence and school life adjustment in elementary school students. Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Seoul.
- M. Y. Sun. (2014). A Study on the Effects of Smart phone, Emotional Intelligence, Self-control and Psychological Detachment on Emotional Exhaustion and Study Performance. Unpublished master's thesis Chungbuk National University, Cheungju.
- S. H. Lee. (2014). Structural equation model on smartphone addiction in nursing students. Unpublished doctor's thesis, In Je University, Kimhae.
- P. Salovey & J. D. Mayer. (1990). Emotional intelligence. Imagination, cognition and personality, 9(3), 185-211. https://doi.org/10.2190/DUGG-P24E-52WK-6CDG
- J. Y. Ha & S. Y. Jeon. (2016). The Effects of Humanistic Knowledge and Emotional Intelligence on Communication Skills of Nurses. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 22(3), 264-273. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.264
- O. S. Lee & M. O. Gu. (2014). Development and Effects of Emotional Intelligence Program for Undergraduate Nursing Students: Mixed Methods Research. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 44(6), 482-778.
- J. Y. Ha & S. Y. Jeon. (2016). The Effects of Humanistic Knowledge and Emotional Intelligence on Communication Skills of Nurses. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 22(3), 264-273. DOI : http://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.264 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.264
- J. H. Park. (2010). Effectiveness of Cooperative Learning on Nursing StudentsPerformance and Experience. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 16(2), 202-212. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.2.202
- J. W. Park & M. S. Choi. (2009). A study on self consciousness, communication competence, and interpersonal relation dispositions of nursing students. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, 18(3), 351-360.
- Y. J. Yi. (2014). Factors Influencing Organizational Socialization in Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 20(4), 463-470. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.463
- S. H. Kim & M. A. Lee. (2014). Effects of emotional labor and communication competence on turnover intention in nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 20(3), 332-341. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.332
- M. S. Song, H. J. An & Y. H. Chung. (2010). Self-esteem, interpersonal relation and communication in nursing students. Health Commun, 5(1), 40-48.