- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Character Strength and Self-Efficacy on Subjective Happiness of Adult Learners of Distance Nursing Education
원격간호교육 성인학습자의 성격강점, 자기효능감이 주관적 행복감에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Jeong-Hee (College of Nursing, Jeju National University) ;
- Park, Young Suk (Department of Nursing, Korea National Open University)
- Received : 2018.01.09
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of character strength and self-efficacy on subjective happiness of adult learners of distance nursing education. The subjects were 261 adult learners of Bachelor Science in nursing course for Registered Nurse of a national open university. The mean score of subjective happiness of subjects was a little lower. 'Transcendence and Humanity' among Character Strength was the highest and 'Justice' was the lowest. Multiple regressions showed that positive integrity, hardiness, and perceived health status explained 38.0% of subjective happiness and positive integrity was the main influencing factor. The learning supporting strategies focusing on reinforcing these factors are needed to improve the subjective happiness of nurses who are continuing their learning through distance education.
Nurse;Distance Education;Character Strength;Self-Efficacy;Subjective Happiness
- H. H. Park, K. O. Lee & S. O. Kim. (2016). A study on the participation motivation of clinical nurses in job training. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(8), 319-329. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.319 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.319
- J. H. GO, M. R. Han & J. Hur. (2014). The analysis of raw data of completion of off-line continuing education in nursing in Seoul, 2008-2012. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(6), 527-538. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.527 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.527
- Institute of Medicine (US), Committee on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Initiative on the Future of Nursing. (2011). The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. DIO: 10.101/j.jopan.2011.02.002
- Y. S. Park & J. H. Kim. (2015). Daily hassles, self-efficacy and stress responses of adult learners of distance education in digital convergence era-Based on RN-BSN students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(9), 397-407. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.397 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.397
- T. K. Altmann. (2011). Registered nurses returning to school for a bachelors degree in nursing: Issues emerging from a meta-analysis of the research. Contemporary Nurse, 39(2), 256-272. https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.2011.39.2.256
- M. T. Duffy, M. A. Friesen, K. G. Speroni, D. Swengros, L. A. Shanks, P. A. Waiter & M. J. Sheridan. (2014). BSN completion barriers, challenges, incentives, and strategies. Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(4), 232-236. DOI: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000000054 https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0000000000000054
- I. Jung, S. Choi, C. Lim & J. Leem, (2002). Effects of different types of interaction on learning achievement, satisfaction and participation in web-based instruction. Innovations in education and teaching international, 39(2), 153-162. DOI: 10.1080/14703290252934603 https://doi.org/10.1080/14703290252934603
- Y. S. Park. (2010). Relationship between lifelong learning and happiness-With focus on sense of self-respect and Immersion. The Korean Journal of Human Resource Development, 12(4), 19-136.
- R. Sabates, & C. Hammond. (2008). The impact of lifelong learning on happiness and well-being. London: Institute of education.
- M. H. Nam & Y. C. Kwon. (2012). The relationship between better life index, nursing performance and intents to leave among hospital nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, 10(9), 417-427. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.9.417
- Y. S. Park. (2014). Perceived stress type, physical symptoms and happiness of nurses-Based on RN-BSN learner of distance education university. The Korean Journal of Stress Research, 22(22), 221-230. https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2014.22.4.221
- M. E. Seligman. (2004). Authentic Happiness: Using the NewPositive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- M. E. Seligman. (2006).(original 2004 published). Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment.(I. J. Kim, trans.). Anyang: Mulpure.
- C. Peterson & M. E. Seligman. (2004). Character Strengths and Virtues: A Handbook and Classification (Vol. 1). New York: Oxford University Press.
- C. Peterson, & M. E. Seligman. (2009).(original 2004 published). Character Strengths & Virtues: A Handbook & Classification(Vol. 1)(Y. R. Moon, I. J. Kim, H. J. Won, S. H. Baek, S. Y. An. trans.). Seoul: Korea Counseling Center.
- H. M. Kim & H. Y. Yoon. (2016). Effects of maximizing workers'-emotional character strengths on their subjective well-being and job satisfaction. Cognitive Behavior Therapy in Korea, 16(1), 23-42.
- J. Y. Kim & S. M. Kwon. (2013). The influence of character strengths on mental health. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 32(4), 783-802. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2013.32.4.002
- H. A. Kim & H. J. Kim. (2011). The study on factors predicting adult learners' academic achievement and persistence in distance education. Journal of Lifelong Learning Society, 21(1), 51-78.
- J. H. Kim & Y. S. Park. (2015). Effects of emotional labor and self-efficacy on psychosocial stress of nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 21(1), 111-121. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.111 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.111
- S. O. Kim. (2017). The effect of self-efficacy and positive thinking on subjective happiness of nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(12), 435-444. DOI: 1014400/JDC20171512435 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.435
- E. Y. Kim. (2017). A Study on happiness of nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(9), 385-395.DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.9.385 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.9.385
- K. S. Roh. (2014) Statistical Analysis of the Thesis: SPSS & AMOS 21. Seoul: Hanbit Academy.
- N. Park, C. Peterson, & M. E. Seligman. (2004). Strengths of character and well-being. Journal of social and Clinical Psychology, 23(5), 603-619. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.23.5.603.50748
- K. M. Yang. (1999). Analysis of the relationship between the empowerment, the job-related individual characteristics and the work performance of nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 5(1), 39-61.
- M. Sherer & C. H. Adams. (1983). Construct validation of the self-efficacy scale. Psychological Reports, 53(3), 899-902. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19188.8.131.529
- S. Lyubomirsky & H. S. Lepper. (1999). A measure of subjective happiness: Preliminary reliability and construct validation. Social indicators research, 46(2), 137-155. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006824100041
- M. S. Woo. (2012). Happiness of Positive Psychology. Anyang: Mulpure.
- S. L. Kim. (2017). A Study on character strength and subjective happiness of oncology Nurses. Unpublished master's thesis. Korea National Open University, Seoul.
- E. M. Kim, Y. H. Yang, H. Lee & M. Yu. (2016). Factors influencing subjective happiness in Korean nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 22(3), 294-303. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.294
- C. Peterson. (2010).(original 2006 published). A Primer in Positive Psychology.(Y. R. Moon, I. J. Kim, S. H. Baek. trans.). Anyang: Mulpure..
- M. Y. Kim & H. Kang. (2016). A study of adult learners in the lifelong learning happiness. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 17(4), 138-146. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.138 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.138
- M. E. Seligman, T. A. Steen, N. Park & C. Peterson. (2005). Positive psychology progress: Empirical validation of interventions. American psychologist, 60(5), 410. DOI: 10.1037/0003-066X.60.5.410 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.60.5.410
- H. M. Kim. (2016). The Relation between signature strengths and well-being and the effect of signature strengths use based intervention on well-being. Unpublished master's thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- E. J. Park. (2010). Effects of signature strength activities and subordinate strength activities of female high school students' subjective euphoria. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- J. M. Lee, & Y. S. Park. (2017). Character strengths, physical, and mental health status of the homeless in self-reliance support facilities. The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 26(1), 67-76. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2017.26.1.67
- A. Bandura. (1997). Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. Choice Reviews Online, 35(3), 35-1826.