- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Job Stress on Psychological Burnout of Childcare Teachers: Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Self-Esteem
보육교사의 직무스트레스가 심리적 소진에 미치는 영향 : 자아존중감의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2017.12.29
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of job stress on psychological burnout of childcare teachers and the mediating effect of self-esteem between two variables. For the study, the data collected from 520 teachers working in day-care centers in Seoul, Gyeonggi and Incheon areas were analyzed by utilizing the path analysis model. The results are as follows. First, job stress of childcare teachers had a positive effect on their psychological burnout, but it had a negative effect on their self-esteem. Second, self-esteem of childcare teachers influenced negatively their psychological burnout. Third, job stress of childcare teachers directly affected psychological burnout and its effect was indirectly mediated by their self-esteem. On the basis of the findings, the need to reduce job stress and psychological burnout and to enhance self-esteem was suggested.
Childcare Teacher;Job Stress;Self-Esteem;Psychological Burnout;Path Analysis
- H. I. Hwang, J. H. Tak, H & M. Kang. (2014). A Study on the Relationship Between Childcare Teachers' Burnout and Their Self-esteem in High and Low Resilience Groups. The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 19(4), 31-52.
- S. M. Kwon. (2011). The Effect of Social Support of Kindergarten and Preschool Teachers on Job Stress, Job Satisfaction, Burnout and Turnover Intention. The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 16(5), 313-333.
- H. S. Yoo. (2013). Structural relations among childcare teachers' job stress, teacher efficacy, organizational commitment, burnout, and turnover Intention. Doctoral dissertation. Keimyung University, Daegu.
- H. M. Yoon & P. S. Noh. (2013). Relationship of Work Stress, Career Commitment, Burnout and Turnover Intention Among Educare-Teachers. Journal of the Korean Society of Child Welfare, 16, 157-184.
- G. E. Jung & Y. H. Park. (2015). Teacher Education and Teacher Professional Development; Job Stress, Ego-Resilience, Journal of Early Childhood Education, 15(1), 367-382.
- S. K. Park. (2017). The effect of child care teacher's job stress on burnout. Doctoral dissertation. Woosuk University, Wanju.
- E. H. Clark. (1980). An analysis of occupational stress factors as perceived by public school teachers. Doctoral dissertation. Auburn University, Alabama.
- R. D' Arenzo. (1981). Stress in teaching: a comparison of perceived occupational stress factors between special education and regular classroom teacher. Doctoral dissertation. Auburn University, Alabama.
- K. T. Kwon. (1990). A study on the occupational stress and methods of coping of coping with stress among teachers. Master Thesis. Kyungpook National University, Daegu.
- M. H. Lee. (2002). Occupation stress of kindergarten teachers and the methods to coping the stress. Master Thesis. Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- H. Y. Shin. (2004). Effects of teachers' job stress and belief of efficacy on the quality of teachers' interaction behaviors in child care. Doctoral dissertation. Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Y. S. Beck. (2013). A study on moderating effects of personally .environ-mentally protective factors in the relationship between child care teachers' job stress and turnover intentions. Doctoral dissertation. Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Y. H. Kim, M. S. Yang & H. R. Park. (2015). A Study on a Relationship Between University Students Life Stress and Suicidal Ideation: Mediating Effect of Mental Health. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(11), 291-301. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.291
- Freudenberger. H. (1974). Staff Burnout. Journal of Social Issues, 30, 159-165.
- H. M. Yoon & B. K. Park. (2004). Factors Associated With Burnout of Korean Child Protective Service Workers. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 56(3), 279-301.
- Maslach. C. & Jackson. S. (1981). The Measurement of Experienced Burnout. Journal of Occupational Behaviour, 2, 99-113. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- S. R. Seo. (1995). Study on the job burnout of special education teachers according to internal locus of control and social support. Master Thesis. Ewha Women University, Seoul.
- Y. M. Kim & Y. Y. Park. (2008). The Effects of Music Therapists: Personality Characteristics and Self-Efficacy on Burnout. The Korean Journal of Stress Research, 16(1), 13-20.
- J. E. Yoo. (2002). Influence of Occupational Stress and Perceived Social Support on Elementary School Teachers Burnout in Korea. The Journal of Elementary Education, 15(2), 315-328.
- Rosenberg. M. (1965). Society and the a Adolescent Self-Image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Kyriacou. C. & Sutcliffe. J. (1978). Teacher Stress Prevalence, Source and Symptoms. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 48(2), 159-167. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8279.1978.tb02381.x
- J. M. Kim & J. M. Jun. (2016). Type of Facility Performing the Role of Child Care Teacher, Job Stress, and Differences in the Job Satisfaction, the Influence of Job Stress on the Job Satisfaction, Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 20(3), 89-108.
- S. H. Park. (2015). Relationships among Aptitude for Teaching Profession, Self-esteem, and Teaching Efficacy in Early Childhood Teachers. Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 19(2), 211-242.
- S. Y. Lee & J. S. Lee. (2016). The Convergent Effect of Stress, Social Support, and Self-Esteem on Depression in Female Students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(12), 335-344. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.335
- J. H. Han. (2014). The Impact of Self-Esteem and Professional Recognition on Early Childhood Teachers' Happiness. Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 18(4), 271-287.
- M. N. Yoo & N. R. Shin. (2013). Childcare Teachers Work-Related Burnout, Job Satisfaction, and Social Supports in the Workplace. Journal of Life-Span Studies, 3(2), 73-85.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, http// www.mohw.go.kr.
- S. H. Paik. (2011). Study on Policies for Reinforcing the Publicness of Childcare. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- S. H. Bae, Y. H. Kim & S. Y. Han. (2014). Effects of Job Stress, Ego-Resilience and Burnout on Teacher's Turnover Intention. Journal of Early Childhood Education & Educare Welfare, 18(1), 234-258.
- T. J. Park. (2016). Effects of job stress on organizational commitment among child care teachers: testing the mediating effect of teacher efficacy. Doctoral dissertation. Honam University, Gwangju.
- B. J. Jon. (1974). Self-Esteem: A Test of Its Measurability. 延世論叢, 11(1), 107-124.
- Y. M. Ryu. (2015). The effects of bibliotherapy on self-esteem, character strengths, emotional awareness, and empathy in nursing students. Doctoral dissertation. Seoul National University, Seoul.
- M. S. Lee. (2015). The mediating effect of social support on the relationship between the multiple-role conflict and psychological burnout of married child care teachers. Doctoral dissertation. Paichai University, Daejeon.
- E. J. Yoo, S. N. Shim & S. K. Kim. (2014). The Effect of the Beauty Salon Worker's Emotional Labor, Job Stress, Job Burnout and Social Support on Turnover Intention. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(12), 427-439. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.427
- J. J. Go. (2009). A Study on the Job Stressor during Teachers' Duties Affecting the Stress at Work and The Intermediate Effects of Self-Esteem. Journal of Family Relations, 13(4), 247-268.
- J. A. Mum & H. J. Kim. (2005). The Teacher-Child Interaction According to the Full-Day Kindergarten Teacher Occupational Stress. 幼兒敎育硏究, 25(5), 75-101.
- I. I. Lee & J. H. Kim. (2011). The Effects of Maum Meditation on Anxiety, Self-Esteem and Self-Actualization of Teachers. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 12(2), 5722-5730. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5722
- K. O. Seol & J. I. Lim. (2013). Collective Self-Esteem, Calling and Burnout Among Youth Companions. Korean Journal Of Counseling And Psychotherapy, 25(2), 187-201.
- N. Branden. (1992). The Power of Self-Esteem. Deerfield Beach Florida: Health Communications. Inc.