- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Revitalization of Container Cargoes in Donghae Port Using IPA Technique
IPA기법을 활용한 동해항 컨테이너 활성화 강화 방안에 관한 연구
- Park, Young-il (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- Nam, Tae-Hyun (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- Ma, Hye-Min (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- Yeo, Gi-Tae (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University)
- Received : 2018.01.09
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
It is necessary to develop a bridgehead port for trading with northern countries to promote trade through the East Sea because the East Sea Rim economic bloc around the Northeast Asia including South Korea, China, Russia, Japan, and North Korea has a high growth potential in the future. Therefore, this study aims to suggest a strategic direction to enhance the competitiveness of Donghae Port through reinforcement of container cargoes by conducting Importance-Performance Analysis (IPA) for stakeholders of Donghae Port. The analysis results suggest that it is necessary to improve the five evaluation factors: attractiveness of container and bulk volumes, appropriate ratio of export/import container quantities, frequency of vessel entry and diversity of sea routes, convenience of complex linked transportation, and competitiveness of cargo handling equipment. The implications of this study are as follows. First, it is necessary to continuously research the current status of container and bulk cargo volumes of the port and ways to increase the absolute cargo volume. Second, we need to consider realistic alternatives to improve the ratio of export/import container quantities. Third, in terms of network, we should establish a service improvement plan to increase the frequency of port calls and the diversity of sea routes. Furthermore, incentives should be provided to increase the trade volume of Donghae Port through strengthened complex linked transportation function. Finally, it is urgently necessary to provide investment support for container handling equipment as an essential requirement for the activation of the container cargoes in Donghae Port.
Donghae Port;Container;competitiveness;improvement plan;Importance-Performance Analysis (IPA)
- J. H. Jo & J. J. Kim. (2010). A study on the forecasting of container freight volume for donghae port and sokcho port. Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, 26(1), 83-104.
- E. K. Yeol & K. C. Ho. (2004). A Development strategy for port of dong-hae as hub-port of the trade relations between korea and the former socialist countries. Korea Trade Research Association, 10(4), 341-360.
- M. K. Seo & T. H. Min. (2010). A study on the harbor logistics strategy of gangwon province for enter the East-sea economic bloc. The Journal of Korea Research Society for customs, 11(2), 223-239.
- C. H. Cho. (2003). An optimization plan for developing port of Donghae as a Base for Korea-Russia Shipping Route, The korea shipping logistics association, 38(1), 187-207.
- K. S. Ki. (2003). Measures for establishment of customs-Free Zone into Donghae Port. The korea shipping logistics association, 10(6), 43-62.
- H. G. Lee (2012). A Study on the Evaluation of Port Logistics Information Service Using Importance-Performance Analysis. The Journal of Maritime Business, 13(22), 89-109,
- T. H. Lee, G. S. Jo & H. J. Jung, (2013). Kyoungin Port's Customers needs analysis using importance-Performance Analysis. Korea Marine Logistics Research, 79(2), 741-763,
- J. H. Yang. (2014). A Study on the Utilization of Parcel Service Quality Factors based using IPA., Korean Journal of Logistics, 22(1), 65-88,
- J. S. Kim & S. H. Song, (2012). Perceptional Difference of Logistics Service Contract between Shiper and Logistics Service Provider. International Commerce and Information Review, 14(3), 281-305.
- K. J. Roh & S. H. Song. (2016). A Study of the Priority of the Local-Logistics Policy in the incheon Metropolitan City. Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, 32(1), 59-77.
- K. H. Bae, J. M. Gong & G. T. Yeo. (2017). Study on Ways to Improve Military Logistics Systems Based on IPA Analysis. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(3), 139-146. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.139
- S. H. Park, T. H. Nam, Y. D. Cha, S. H. Lee & G. T. Yeo. (2017). A study on the Activation Plan for on-line Shopping Mall handing fresh logistics. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(8), 103-114, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.8.103
- R. K. Park. (2010). A study on the model development and empirical application for predicting the efficiency and optimum size of investment in Domestic seaports. Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, 26(3), 18-41,
- R. K. Park. (2001). An empirical analysis on the concentration of Korean Ports : Application of Rimmer, Hoyle and Hirshmann-Herfindahl Models", The korea shipping logistics association, 13(1), 49-79,
- R. K. Park. (2009). A measurement way of operation risk evaluation of Korean seaports using negative DEA. Journal of korea port economic association, 25(2), 57-72,
- J. R. Huh & J. H. Jho. (2017), IPA analysis on the physical environment of the beauty care shop and intention factors of revisit inquiry. Korea Convergence Society, 8(6), 255-263. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.4.255
- D. H. Hong & K. J. Kim. (2017), Optimization of equipment dispatch for efficiency improvement of container port operation. Korea Convergence Society, 8(10), 19-28.
- K. Y. Mun. Northeast Asia Mega economic zone concept. Korea Export-Import Bank Northeast Asian Research Center Research Report, 16(3), 8-31.
- H. H. Jang & J. K. Lee. (2008), A Study on the Activation Plan of Gwangyang Port According to Port Determinants of Ship and Shippers. Korean Logistics Association, 18(3), 87-109.
- H. G. Lee. (2003), A Study on the Comprehensive Analysis on the Competitiveness of Asian Major Ports Fusing FCM and AHP. Journal of Korean Navigation and Ports, 27(2), 185-191. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2003.27.2.185
- S. H. Cho & K. B. Lee. (2006), A Comparative Study on Competitiveness of Busan Port and Shanghai Port. Industrial Economics Research, 19(5), 1817-1837.
- G. T. Yeo, H. K. Lee & S. Y. Oh. (2004), A Study on the Selection of Port Selection Factors for the Increase of the Ship Incarnation of Small and Medium Ports. Marine Logistics Research, 43, 33-53.
- Cheon, S. H., Dowall, D. L. & Song, D. W. (2010). Evaluating impacts of institutional reformson port efficiency changes: Ownership, corporate structure, and total factor productivity changesof world container ports. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 46(4), 546-561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2009.04.001
- H. Y. Lee. (2012), Factors affecting port competitiveness. Korean Administrative Directory, 24(1), 1-25.
- Tongzon, J. L. & Heng, W. (2005), Port privatization, efficiency and competitiveness: Someempirical evidence from container ports (terminals). Transportation Research Part A: Policyand Practice, 39(5), 405-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2005.02.001
- Y. H. Paek. (2010). Analyzes of export / import model points (O / D) of enterprises in Kyunggi area and activation plan of Pyeongtaek port. Korea International Trade Association, 17(1), 135-158.