- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Influence of Information Security Compliance Intention of Employee: Theory of Planned Behavior, Justice Theory, and Motivation Theory Applied
조직원의 정보보안 정책 준수의도에 미치는 영향 연구: 계획된 행동이론, 공정성이론, 동기이론의 적용
- Hwang, In-Ho (School of Knowledge-Based Management, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Hu, Sung-Ho (Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2018.01.24
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
Organizations continue to invest in the security of information technology as a means to be more competitive than others in their industry do. However, there is a relatively lack of interest in the information security compliance of employees who implement information security technologies and policies of organization. This study finds mechanisms for enhancing security compliance by applying theory of planned behavior, justice theory, and motivation theory in information security field. We use structural equation modeling to verify the research hypotheses, and conducted a survey on the employees of organization with information security policy. The results showed that organizational justice, sanction, and organizational identification affect the factors of the planned behavior theory and affect the employee's compliance intention. As a result, this research suggested directions for strategic approach for enhancing employee's compliance intention on organization's security policy.
Information Security Compliance Intention;Justice Theory;Theory of Planned Behavior;Sanction;Organizational Identification
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- IDC. (2016). Worldwide Semiannual Security Spending Guide, 2016.
- J. Do & J. Kim. (2014). A study on critical success factors for enterprise security collaboration. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(10), 235-242. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.235
- I. Hwang & O. Cha. (2018). Examining technostress creators and role stress as potential threats to employees' information security compliance. Computers in Human Behavior, 81, 282-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.12.022
- B. Bulgurcu, H. Cavusoglu & I. Benbasat. (2010). Information security policy compliance: An empirical study of rationality-based beliefs and information security awareness. MIS Quarterly, 34(3), 523-548. https://doi.org/10.2307/25750690
- A. Vance, M. Siponen & S. Pahnila. (2012). Motivating IS security compliance: Insights from habit and protection motivation theory. Information & Management, 49(3), 190-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2012.04.002
- I. Hwang, D. Kim, T. Kim & S. Kim. (2017). Why not comply with information security? An empirical approach for the causes of non-compliance. Online Information Review, 41(1), 1-17.
- S. R. Boss, D. F. Galletta, P. B. Lowry, G. D. Moody & P. Polak. (2015). What do systems users have to fear? Using fear appeals to engender threats and fear that motivate protective security behaviors. MIS Quarterly, 34(3), 523-548.
- D. Kim, I. Hwang & J. Kim. (2016). A study on employee's compliance behavior towards information security policy: A modified triandis model. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(4), 209-220. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.209
- C. Park & M. Yim. (2012). An understanding of impact of security countermeasures on persistent policy compliance. Journal of Digital Convergence, 10(4), 23-35. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.4.023
- Y. Chen, K. Ramamurthy & K. W. Wen. (2012). Organizations' information security policy compliance: Stick or carrot approach?. Journal of Management Information Systems, 29(3), 157-188. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222290305
- J. D'Arcy, A. Hovav & D. Galletta. (2009). User awareness of security countermeasures and its impact on information systems misuse: A deterrence approach. Information Systems Research, 20(1), 79-98. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1070.0160
- Q. Hu, Z. Xu, T. Dinev & H. Ling. (2011). Does deterrence work in reducing information security policy abuse by employees?. Communications of the ACM, 54(6), 54-60. https://doi.org/10.1145/1953122.1953142
- K. H. Guo & Y. Yuan. (2012). The effects of multilevel sanctions on information security violations: A mediating model. Information & Management, 49(6), 320-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2012.08.001
- T. Herath & H. R. Rao. (2009). Encouraging information security behaviors in organizations: Role of penalties, pressures and perceived effectiveness. Decision Support Systems, 47(2), 154-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2009.02.005
- J. Y. Son. (2011). Out of fear or desire? Toward a better understanding of employees' motivation to follow IS security policies. Information & Management, 48(7), 296-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2011.07.002
- A. B. Ruighaver, S. B. Maynard & S. Chang. (2007). Organizational security culture: extending the end-user perspective. Computers & Security, 26(1), 56-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2006.10.008
- J. A. Colquitt. (2001). On the dimensionality of organizational justice: A construct validation of a measure. Journal of Applied Psychology, 86(3), 386-400. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.3.386
- Y. Zhang, J. A. LePine, B. R. Buckman & F. Wei. (2014). It's not fair… or is it? The role of justice and leadership in explaining work stressor-job performance relationships. Academy of Management Journal, 57(3), 675-697. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2011.1110
- R. West. (2008). The psychology of security. Communications of the ACM, 51(4), 34-40. https://doi.org/10.1145/1330311.1330320
- K. D. Loch, H. H. Carr & M. E. Warkentin. (1992). Threats to information systems: today's reality. yesterday's understanding, MIS Quarterly, 16(2), 173-186. https://doi.org/10.2307/249574
- Verizon. (2016). 2016 Data Breach Investigations Report.
- M. Siponen, S. Pahnila & M. A. Mahmood. (2010). Compliance with information security policies: An empirical investigation. Computer, 43(2), 64-71. https://doi.org/10.1109/MC.2010.35
- T. Jeong, M. Yim & J. Lee. (2012). A development of comprehensive framework for continuous information security. Journal of Digital Convergence, 10(2), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.2.001
- J. Han & Y. Kim. (2015). Investigating of psychological factors affecting information security compliance intention: Convergent approach to information security and organizational citizenship behavior. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(8), 133-144. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.8.133
- M. Yim. (2012). A path way to increase the intention to comply with information security policy of employees. Journal of Digital Convergence, 10(10), 119-128. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.10.119
- I. Hwang & Y. Lee. (2016). The employee's information security policy compliance intention: Theory of planned behavior, goal setting theory, and deterrence theory applied. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(7), 155-166. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.155
- I. Ajzen. (1991). The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50(2), 179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- J. Cox. (2012). Information systems user security: A structured model of the knowing-doing gap. Computers in Human Behavior, 28(5), 1849-1858. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.05.003
- N. S. Safa, M. Sookhak, R. Von Solms, S. Furnell, N. A. Ghani & T. Herawan. (2015). Information security conscious care behaviour formation in organizations. Computers & Security, 53, 65-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2015.05.012
- J. Zhang, B. J. Reithel & H. Li. (2009). Impact of perceived technical protection on security behaviors. Information Management & Computer Security, 17(4), 330-340. https://doi.org/10.1108/09685220910993980
- A. C. Johnston & M. Warkentin (2010). Fear appeals and information security behaviors: An empirical study. MIS Quarterly, 34(3), 549-566. https://doi.org/10.2307/25750691
- W. R. Flores & M. Ekstedt. (2016). Shaping intention to resist social engineering through transformational leadership, information security culture and awareness. Computers & Security, 59, 26-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2016.01.004
- N. S. Safa & R. Von Solms. (2016). An information security knowledge sharing model in organizations. Computers in Human Behavior, 57, 442-451. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.12.037
- M. Siponen, M. A. Mahmood & S. Pahnila. (2014). Employees' adherence to information security policies: An exploratory field study. Information & Management, 51(2), 217-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2013.08.006
- C. Posey, T. L. Roberts & P. B. Lowry (2015). The impact of organizational commitment on insiders' motivation to protect organizational information assets. Journal of Management Information Systems, 32(4), 179-214. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2015.1138374
- H. L. Chou, & C. Chou. (2016). An analysis of multiple factors relating to teachers' problematic information security behavior. Computers in Human Behavior, 65, 334-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.08.034
- R. Cropanzano, L. Paddock, D. E. Rupp, J. Bagger & A. Baldwin. (2008). How regulatory focus impacts the process-by-outcome interaction for perceived fairness and emotions. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 105(1), 36-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2006.06.003
- P. M. Muchinsky. (2006). Psychology Applied to Work: An Introduction to Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Cengage Learning.
- P. E. Spector. (2008). Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Research and. Practice.
- T. A. Judge & J. A. Colquitt. (2004). Organizational justice and stress: The mediating role of work-family conflict. Journal of Applied Psychology, 89(3), 395-404. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.89.3.395
- J. R. Fu, P. H. Ju & C. W. Hsu. (2015). Understanding why consumers engage in electronic word-of-mouth communication: Perspectives from theory of planned behavior and justice theory. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 14(6), 616-630. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2015.09.003
- H. Zhang & N. C. Agarwal. (2009). The mediating roles of organizational justice on the relationships between HR practices and workplace outcomes: an investigation in China. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 20(3), 676-693. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190802707482
- M. L. Ambrose & M. Schminke. (2009). The role of overall justice judgments in organizational justice research: a test of mediation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 94(2), 491-500. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0013203
- T. Y. Chou, T. C. Seng-cho, J. J. Jiang & G. Klein. (2013). The organizational citizenship behavior of IS personnel: Does organizational justice matter?. Information & Management, 50(2), 105-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2013.02.002
- O. Demirtas. (2015). Ethical leadership influence at organizations: Evidence from the field. Journal of Business Ethics, 126(2), 273-284. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-013-1950-5
- C. Yoon. (2011). Theory of planned behavior and ethics theory in digital piracy: An integrated model. Journal of Business Ethics, 100(3), 405-417. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0687-7
- C. C. Pinder. (1998), Work motivation in organizational behavior. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- E. M. Fair, & L. Silvestri. (1992). Effects of rewards, competition and outcome on intrinsic motivation. Journal of Instructional Psychology, 19(1), 3.
- K. H. Guo, Y. Yuan, N. P. Archer & C. E. Connelly. (2011). Understanding nonmalicious security violations in the workplace: A composite behavior model. Journal of Management Information Systems, 28(2), 203-236. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222280208
- H. Li, J. Zhang & R. Sarathy. (2010). Understanding compliance with internet use policy from the perspective of rational choice theory. Decision Support Systems, 48(4), 635-645. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2009.12.005
- J. E. Dutton, J. M. Dukerich & C. V. Harquail. (1994). Organizational images and member identification. Administrative Science Quarterly, 39(2), 239-263. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393235
- J. C. Nunnally. (1978). Psychometric theory (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- B. H. Wixom & H. J. Watson. (2001). An empirical investigation of the factors affecting data warehousing success. MIS Quarterly, 25(1), 17-41. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250957
- C. Fornell & D. F. Larcker. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312