- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Public Technology Value on Technology Transfer Performance
공공 기술가치가 기술이전성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Jo, Dong-Hyuk (Soongsil University, School of Business) ;
- Choi, Sung-Ho (Soongsil University, School of Business) ;
- Kim, Suk-Kyu (Soongsil University, School of Business) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Joo (Soongsil University, School of Business)
- Received : 2018.01.05
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
This study was intended to identify the factors effecting the business performance of the firms that received public technology transfer and to suggest implications on the basis of the results. For this purpose, the author empirically analyzed the influence of the technology value on the business performance of the firms using the business data of the firms on the basis of quantitative data. Furthermore, the author analyzed the differences in perception of technology value and business performance according to type of firms and type of technology transfer. As a result of this study, it was found that the more advanced technology, the more positive influence on business performance of the firms, and that there was no difference in perception of business performance whereas there was difference in perception of technology value according to the type of firms and technology transfer. This study is meaningful in that through this study the author has confirmed the importance of technology value to enhance competitiveness of technology transfer companies and strategic direction for successful implementation of technology transfer.
- Jamison, D. W., & Jansen, C. (2001). Technology transfer and economic growth. Industry and Higher Education, 15(3), 189-196. https://doi.org/10.5367/000000001101295650
- J. W. Min & Y. J. Kim. (2015). A Study of Success Factors in Public Technology Transfer: The Implications of Licensee's Motivation. The Journal of Intellectual Property, 10(2), 225-256.
- T. E. Sung, D. S. Kim, J. M. Jang & H. W. Park. (2016). An Empirical Analysis on Determinant Factors of Patent Valuation and Technology Transaction Prices. Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 19(2), 254-279.
- I. J. Lim, S. M. Lee & J. H. Lee. (2014). A Study on the Success Factors of Technology Transfer and Commercialization in the High-Technology Industry : Collaboration between KETI and Probe Card Company. Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 17(3), 490-518.
- Capon, N., & Glazer, R. (1987). Marketing and technology: a strategic coalignment. The Journal of Marketing, 51(3), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251644
- Korea Institute for Advancement of Technology(KIAT) (2015). Research on the status of technology transfer project : Public research institute. Published by KIAT.
- Bozeman, B., Rimes, H., & Youtie, J. (2015). The evolving state-of-the-art in technology transfer research: Revisiting the contingent effectiveness model. Research Policy, 44(1), 34-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2014.06.008
- Morone, J., & Ivins, R. (1982). Problems and opportunities in technology transfer from the national laboratories to industry. Research Management, 25(3), 35-44.
- Ku, B. C., & Nam, S. S. (2015). The importance analysis of critical factors that facilitate technology transfer and commercialization through AHP. Journal of the Korea Management Engineers Society, 20(1), 45-63.
- Boer, F. P. (1999). The valuation of technology: Business and financial issues in R&D (Vol. 1). Wiley.
- Thamhain, H. J. (2005). Management of technology. Hoboken, NJ , 3-4.
- Noori, H. (1990). Managing the dynamics of new technology: Issues in manufacturing management. Prentice Hall.
- Smith, G. V., & Parr, R. L. (2000). Valuation of intellectual property and intangible assets (Vol. 13). Wiley.
- Hellmann, T. (2007). The role of patents for bridging the science to market gap. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 63(4), 624-647. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jebo.2006.05.013
- Sadin, S. R., Povinelli, F. P., & Rosen, R. (1989). The NASA technology push towards future space mission systems. In Space and Humanity, 20, 73-77.
- Mankins, J. C. (1995). Technology readiness levels. White Paper, April, 6.
- Ahn, E. Y., Kim, S. Y., & Lee, J. W. (2015). Technology Readiness Levels (TRLs) Indicator Development for Geoscience and Mineral Resources R&D. Economic and Environmental Geology, 48(5), 421-429. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2015.48.5.421
- Hwang, H. W., Kim, H. R., & Chang, Y. K. (2012). TRL Impact on Development Schedule and Cost in the Aerospace Project. Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, 40(3), 264-272. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2012.40.3.264
- Lee, H. G., Jeon, E. Y., Yu, S. J., & Park, H. J. (2014). Project outcome differences according to recognition of project goals in health care R&D. proceedings of Korean association for policy studies, Autumn, 95-113.
- DoD, U. S. (2011). Technology readiness assessment (TRA) guidance. Revision posted, 13.
- Engel, D. W., Dalton, A. C., Anderson, K. K., Sivaramakrishnan, C., & Lansing, C. (2012). Development of technology readiness level (TRL) metrics and risk measures (No. PNNL-21737). Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Richland, WA (US).
- Kim, N. G., An, B. H., Lee, H. S., Choi, J. H., Park, S. H., & Kim, Y. S. (2012). Implementation of TRL and TRA tools to Korean Construction and Transportation R&D Evaluation for Improving Practical Use. Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 13(4), 110-119. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2012.13.4.110
- Korea Evaluation Institute of Industrial Technology (KEIT) (2009). TRL evaluation indicator for industrial strategic technology. Published by KEIT.
- Ettlie, J. E. (1982). The commercialization of federally sponsored technological innovations. Research Policy, 11(3), 173-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-7333(82)90018-X
- Lee, Y. D. (2008). A Study of R&D Strategy-Environmental Factors-Performances of the Academia in the Information and Telecommunication Industry: An Analysis of ITRC Projects. Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 11(4), 431-449.
- Park, H. W., & Lee, J. T. (2012). Framework for technology valuation of early stage technologies. Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 15(2), 242-261.
- Teece, D. J., Pisano, G., & Shuen, A. (1997). Dynamic Capabilities and Strategic Management. Strategic Management Journal, 18(7), 509-533.
- O. S. Lee. (2017). Policy Implications on Strengthening Technology Capacity of Public R&D Institute : Cases of Excellent Technology and Organization. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(1), 203-212. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.1.203
- I. S. Kim, K. S. Yoo & Y. D. Kim. (2017). A Study on the Effects of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Activities of Venture Enterprises on the Increase Firms' Revenue. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(12), 329-341. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.12.329
- Scherer, F. M. (1965). Firm size, market structure, opportunity, and the output of patented inventions. The American Economic Review, 55(5), 1097-1125.
- Ernst, H. (1995). Patenting strategies in the German mechanical engineering industry and their relationship to company performance. Technovation, 15(4), 225-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-4972(95)96605-S
- Bak, S. H., Lee, C. G., & Seo, C. S. (2013). The Effects of Green Technology Patent on the Financial Performance of Specialized Green Enterprises. Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 16(3), 724-753.
- Scherer, F. M. (1965). Corporate inventive output, profits, and growth. Journal of political economy, 73(3), 290-297. https://doi.org/10.1086/259017
- Yam, R. C., Guan, J. C., Pun, K. F., & Tang, E. P. (2004). An audit of technological innovation capabilities in Chinese firms: some empirical findings in Beijing, China. Research policy, 33(8), 1123-1140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2004.05.004
- Branch, B. (1974). Research and development activity and profitability: a distributed lag analysis. Journal of Political Economy, 82(5), 999-1011. https://doi.org/10.1086/260252
- Kamiyama, S., Sheehan, J., & Martinez, C. (2006). Valuation and exploitation of intellectual property.
- Kim, T., & Song, J. Y. (2016). Development of Technology and Enterprise Assessment Model for Commercialization of Public Technology. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 17(5), 153-163. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.5.153
- Mosakowski, E. (1991). Organizational boundaries and economic performance: An empirical study of entrepreneurial computer firms. Strategic Management Journal, 12(2), 115-133. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250120204
- Yeoh, P. L., & Roth, K. (1999). An empirical analysis of sustained advantage in the US pharmaceutical industry: Impact of firm resources and capabilities. Strategic management journal, 20(7), 637-653. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199907)20:7<637::AID-SMJ42>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Zahra, S. A., & George, G. (2002). Absorptive capacity: A review, reconceptualization, and extension. Academy of management review, 27(2), 185-203. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2002.6587995
- Morbey, G. K., & Reithner, R. M. (1990). How R&D affects sales growth, productivity and profitability. Research-Technology Management, 33(3), 11-14.
- Park, J. O., Youn, S. J., & Park, B. S. (2015). Commercialization success factors of transfer technology from public R & D and enhancing performance. Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 18(1), 28-48.