- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Impact of the External Technology R&D Collaboration Network Heterogeneity on the Employment Increase of Small and Medium Companies: The Mediating Effect of Export Growth
외부 기술 연구개발 협력 네트워크의 다양성이 중소기업의 고용 증대에 미치는 영향: 수출 증대의 매개 효과
- Hau, Yong Sauk (School of Business, Yeungnam University)
- 허용석 (영남대학교 경영대학)
- Received : 2017.10.10
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
With a view to deepening the research stream on the factors positively influencing the export growth and the employment increase of South Korean small and medium companies, this research has developed the research model about the impact of small and medium companies' external technology R&D collaboration network heterogeneity on their export growth and employment increase, and has empirically tested the research model with the 2,200 data collected from the small and medium companies in the South Korea. This study illuminates the two points from the empirical testing results. One point is that small and medium companies' external technology R&D collaboration network heterogeneity significantly and positively influences their employment increase from technology development. The other point is that small and medium companies' export growth from technology R&D partially mediates the impact of the external technology R&D collaboration network heterogeneity on their employment increase from technology R&D.
External Technology R&D Collaboration Network;Small and Medium Companies;Export Growth;Employment Increase;Technology Convergence
- S. J. Yoo. (2010). A study on the measures for export promotion of small and medium enterprise in Korea. International Commerce and Information Review, 12(4), 193-211. https://doi.org/10.15798/kaici.12.4.201012.193
- L. Manwoo & L. Sangwhan. (2002). Study on the effectiveness of tax support system on small and medium business. Asia Pacific Journal of Small Business, 24(3), 227-245.
- J. T. Kim. (2006). A study on the improvement of the tax support system for the small and medium enterprises. The Journal of Business Education, 13, 193-211.
- G. K. Kim. (2003). The structural relationship between export marketing strategy and performance of Korean small and medium firms. Journal of International Trade and Industry Studies, 8(2), 83-109.
- M. A. Schilling. (2013). Strategic Management of Technological Innovation. McGraw-Hill.
- P. Trott. (2012). Innovation Management and New Product Development. Prentice Hall.
- Y. S. Hau. (2016). An empirical analysis of the influence of external knowledge network on SMEs' new technology development and technology commercialization capabilities in the perspective of open innovation. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(5), 149-156. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.149
- H. Kim & Y. Park. (2010). The effects of open innovation activity on performance of SMEs: The case of Korea. International Journal of TechnologyManagement, 52(3/4), 236-256.
- H. W. Chesbrough. (2003). The era of open innovation. MIT Sloan Management Review, 44(3), 35-41.
- H. W. Chesbrough. (2006). Open Innovation : The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology. Harvard Business School Press.
- V. van de Vrande, J. P. J. de Jong, and W. Vanhaverbeke, & M. de Rochemont. (2009). Open innovation in SMEs: Trends, motives and management challenges. Technovation, 29(6-7), 423-437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2008.10.001
- Y. S. Hau. (2017). The effect of the external technology collaboration network diversity on SMEs' production process improvement and cost Reduction: The moderating role of the use of the external information. Journal of Product Research, 35(2), 7-12.
- M. E. Porter. (1980). Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors, Free Press.
- E. Stam & K. Wennberg. (2009). The roles of R&D in new firm growth. Small and Business Economics, 33(1), 77-89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-009-9183-9
- C. G. Kim. (2001). An empirical study on the determinants of export performance by Korean small and medium firms. Korea Trade Review, 26(4), 323-351.
- Y. G. Kim. (2008). An empirical study on the determinants of export performance in Korean firms: Focused on meta analysi., International Business Review, 12(2), 55-75. https://doi.org/10.21739/IBR.2008.06.12.2.55
- A. Afuah. (2003). Innovation Management, Oxford University Press.
- A. Y. Kim. (2007). Empirical investigation for export-led growth hypothesis in Korea. Journal of International Trade and Industry Studies, 12(1), 81-100.
- B. C. Cin & E. Y. Lee. (2010). Effects of R&D and exports on technical efficiency using stochastic frontier approach. Korean Corporation Review, 17(1), 1-21.
- K. Tsai. (2009). Collaborative networks and product innovation performance : Toward a contingency perspective. Research Policy, 38(5), 765-778. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2008.12.012
- M. E. Sobel. (1982). Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models. Sociological Methodology, 13, 290-312. https://doi.org/10.2307/270723
- R. M. Baron & D. A. Kenny. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research : Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- J. K. Kim & K. T. Hwang. (2016). A study on the factors affecting technological innovation of innovative IT SMEs. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(11), 201-224. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.201
- Y. S. Hau. (2015). External information network diversity and production management capability in IT SMEs in the age of digital convergence: the mediating effect of manufacturing capability. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(9), 99-104. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.99
- D. Y. Lee & S. G. Kim. (2016). Determinants of technology transfer for convergence management strategy of small and medium enterprises. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(3), 83-94. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.83
- D. Sohn, J. Lee, & Y. Kim. (2017). The effects of government support and regulation on SMEs technology innovation. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(4), 117-125. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.117
- Y. S. Hau. (2015). IT SMEs' product planning capability and manufacturing capability in the context of digital convergence: The mediating impacts of the product exterior and interior design capabilities. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(12), 55-62. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.55
- Y. S. Hau. (2017). IT SMEs' external information network diversity and product quality improvement in the era of technology convergence : The mediating role of the production process improvement. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(4), 199-204. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.199
- Y. S. Cho. (2016). The moderating effects of external turbulence toward the path between the open innovation and export performance of manufacturing SMEs. Journal of Digital Convergence, 23(3), 77-97.
- Y. S. Hau. (2017). SMEs' external technology collaboration network diversity and productivity improvement: The moderating effect of the chief technology-officer driven technology development. Journal of Society of Korea Industrial and Systems Engineering, 40(2), 99-103. https://doi.org/10.11627/jkise.2017.40.2.099
- G. O. Kim. (2012) An empirical study on the factors influencing the innovations of Korea's exporting companies and export performance. International Commerce and Information Review, 14(2), 201-225.