- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Deconcentration pattern of port system: Case in Southern Vietnam
항만분산화 현상에 관한 연구: 베트남 남부지역을 중심으로
- NGUYEN, Tuan Hiep (Graduate school of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- PHAM, Thi Yen (Graduate school of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- Yeo, Gi Tae (Graduate school of Logistics, Incheon National University)
- 여기태 (인천대학교 동북아 물류대학원)
- Received : 2017.12.27
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
The shortage of research in Vietnam port evolvement is uncontroversial although a huge amount of investment is observed to upgrade both quantity and quality. This study examines the port system performance, in the context of spatially concentration ratio, in Southern Vietnam for the period 2007-2016, by using prevailing indicators for spatially concentration assessment including concentration ratios (CR), the Herfindahl-Hirschman index (HHI), the Gini coefficient, the Lorenz curve and shift-share analysis (SSA), a trend of deconcentration is described in Southern Vietnam port system, since the traditional ports to new deep-water ports. Also, driving forces of this shifting would be discussed in detail. Implications from this study would enable not only port administrators, port operators but also shipping lines, cargo owners, logistics service providers to comprehensively understand the growth of the port system in Southern Vietnam.
Concentration;Deconcentration;Southern Vietnam;Port system;Herfindahl-Hirschman index (HHI);Shift-Share Analysis (SSA)
- M. Stopford (1997). Maritime Economics, Routledge.
- E. J. Taaffe, R. L. Morrill, P. R. Gould. (1963). Transport expansion in underdeveloped countries: a comparative analysis. Geographical review, 53(4), 503-529. https://doi.org/10.2307/212383
- Y. Hayut. (1981). Containerization and the load center concept. Economic geography, 57(2), 160-176. https://doi.org/10.2307/144140
- B. Slack. (1990). Internodal transportation in North America and the development of inland load centers. The professional geographer, 42(1), 72-83, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0033-0124.1990.00072.x
- T. E. Notteboom. (1997). Concentration and load centre development in the European container port system. Journal of transport geography, 5(2), 99-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6923(96)00072-5
- K. X. Li, M. Luo, J. Yang. (2012). Container port systems in China and the USA: a comparative study. Maritime Policy & Management, 39(5), 461-478. https://doi.org/10.1080/03088839.2012.705032
- V. V. Thai. (2017). Assessing the National Port System: The Case of Vietnam. Proceedings of International Conference of Asian Shipping and Logistics, 83-103.
- L. C. Blancas, J. Isbell, M. Isbell, H. J. Tan, W. Tao. (2014). Efficient logistics: a key to Vietnam's competitiveness. Directions in Development, Washington DC, World Bank.
- T. E. Notteboom. (2010). Concentration and the formation of multi-port gateway regions in the European container port system: an update. Journal of transport geography, 18(4), 567-583. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2010.03.003
- T. E. Notteboom. (2009). Path dependency and contingency in the development of multi-port gateway regions and multi-port hub regions. Ports in proximity: competition and coordination among adjacent seaports, 55-74.
- P. J. Rimmer, C. Comtois. (2009). China's container-related dynamics. 1990-2005", GeoJournal, 74(1), 35-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10708-008-9213-1
- T. E. Notteboom, J. P. Rodrigue. (2005). Port regionalization: towards a new phase in port development. Maritime Policy & Management, 32(3), 297-313. https://doi.org/10.1080/03088830500139885
- A. Marshall. (1890). Principles of Economics, 2nd edition,Macmillan, London.
- M. Barke. (1986). Transport and trade, Oliver & Boyd.
- C. Ducruet, S. Roussin, J. C. Jo. (2009). Going West? Spatial polarization of the North Korean port system. Journal of Transport Geography, 17(5), 357-368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2008.10.011
- G. Wilmsmeier, J. Monios. (2013). Counterbalancing peripherality and concentration : an analysis of the UK container port system. Maritime Policy & Management, 40(2), 116-132. https://doi.org/10.1080/03088839.2012.756588
- Y. Hayuth. (1988). Rationalization and deconcentration of the US container port system. The Professional Geographer, 40(3), 279-288. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0033-0124.1988.00279.x
- C. Sys. (2009). Is the container liner shipping industry an oligopoly?. Transport policy, 16(5), 259-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tranpol.2009.08.003
- M. I. Cusano, C. Ferrari, A. Tei. (2017). Port hierarchy and concentration: Insights from the Mediterranean cruise market. International Journal of Tourism Research, 19(2), 235-245. https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.2106
- T. Y. Pham, J. W. Jeon, V. L. Dang, Y. D. Cha, G. T. Yeo. (2016). A Longitudinal Analysis of Concentration Developments for Container Terminals in Northern Vietnam. The Asian Journal of Shipping and Logistics, 32(3), 157-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajsl.2016.09.004
- V. L. Dang, G. T. Yeo. (2016). A concentration pattern analysis of port systems in South East Asia. Ocean Policy Research, 31(2), 131-166.
- Y. Le, H. Ieda. (2009). Evolution dynamics of container port systems with a geo-economic concentration index: A comparison of Japan, China and Korea. Proceedings of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, 7, 428-428.
- J. Lipczynski, J. Wilson, J. Goddard. (2005). Industrial organization: competition, strategy, policy. Pearson Education Limited, Prentice Hall, London. 780.
- K. Y. Cho, J. G. Oh, T. H. Nam & G. T. Yeo. (2017). A Study on the Factor and Influences of Decision Making for the Inland Trnsportation of Shippers. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(10), 123-132. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.10.123
- D. H. Hong & C. G. Kim. (2015). Improvement of wireless communications environment of Web-pad on board Yard tractor in container terminal use convergence technology. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(8), 281-288. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.8.281
- Y. J. Park. (2015). The Design of the Container Logistics Information System Reflects the Port Logistics Environment. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(5), 159-167 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.159
- E. Y. Park, D. G. Kwag. (2015). The study on the market competitiveness reinforcement for convergence industry. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 6(5), 99-106. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.099
- E. Y. Park, D. G. Kwag. (2015). Competition in the life insurance market: evidence from Korea using the Panzar-Rosse Model. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 7(5), 201-211. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.201
- M. Y. Cha, (2017). Enhancement of SMB Global Compentency for Overseas Market Entry. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 7(1), 11-16.
- K. I. Kim, (2017). The Study on Perception of Adoption of Certification System for Smart Factory. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 7(3), 153-158. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.3.153
- B. Slack, J. J. Wang. (2002). The challenge of peripheral ports: an Asian perspective. GeoJournal, 56(2), 159-166. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022452714114