- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Intrapreneurship on the Organizational Performance: Focused on the Mediating Effects of Open Innovation -Focused on small and medium enterprises in Busan-
사내기업가정신이 조직성과에 미치는 영향: 개방형 혁신의 매개효과를 중심으로 -부산지역 중소기업 중심으로-
- Zhang, Hong-Peng (School of Business, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Jong-Kwan (School of Business, Pusan National University) ;
- Wang, Huan-Huan (School of Business, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Yun-Kyeong (School of Business, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2018.01.08
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
The purpose of this study is to discover the relationship of intrapreneurship, open innovation and organizational performance. For the empirical analysis, data were collected from convenient sample of 310 employees at small and medium enterprises in Busan. All collected data were analyzed using with SPSS 21. The results of this research as followed: firstly, the relationship between the intrapreneurship and the inbound open innovation is positively related. Secondly, there was a partial positive correlation between the inbound open innovation and the organizational performance. Finally, the open innovation played as a partial mediator on the relationship between the intrapreneurship and the organizational performance. Based on these results, researcher suggest the limitations of the study and directions for future studies.
Intrapreneurship;Open Innovation;Organizational Performance;Innovativeness;Proactiveness;Risk Taking
- Zahra, S. A. & Garvis, D. M. (2000). International corporate entrepreneurship and firm performance: The moderating effect of international environmental hostility. Journal of Business Venturing, 15(5-6), 469-492. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(99)00036-1
- Bordean, O., Borza, A., & Maier, V. (2011). The involvement of boards in strategy implementation. Review of International Comparative Management, 12(5), 986-992.
- Churchill, N. C. (1992). Research issues in entrepreneurship. The state of the art of entrepreneurship, 579-596.
- Kuratko, D. F., & Audretsch, D. B. (2013). Clarifying the domains of corporate entrepreneurship. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 9(3), 323-335. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11365-013-0257-4
- Goodale, J. C., Kuratko, D. F., Hornsby, J. S. & Covin, J. G. (2011). Operations management and corporate entrepreneurship: The moderating effect of operations control on the antecedents of corporate entrepreneurial activity in relation to innovation performance. Journal of Operations Management, 29(1-2), 116-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2010.07.005
- Duane Ireland, R., Kuratko, D. F. & Morris, M. H. (2006). A health audit for corporate entrepreneurship: innovation at all levels: part I. Journal of Business Strategy, 27(1), 10-17. https://doi.org/10.1108/02756660610640137
- Chesbrough, H. W. (2006). Open innovation: The new imperative for creating and profiting from technology. Harvard Business Press.
- Lee, H. Y. & Lee, S. W. (2012). Analyzing the Characteristics of Open Innovation Activity and the External Collaboration Network in SMEs. Journal of the Economic Geographical Society of Korea, 15(2), 147-165. https://doi.org/10.23841/egsk.2012.15.2.147
- Chesbrough, H. & Crowther, A. K. (2006). Beyond high tech: early adopters of open innovation in other industries. R&D Management, 36(3), 229-236. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2006.00428.x
- Linton, J. D. (2012). What's hot and what's not: A summary of topics and papers in technology innovation management that are getting attention..Technovation, 32(12), 653-655. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2012.10.002
- Lichtenthaler, U. (2009). Outbound open innovation and its effect on firm performance: examining environmental influences. R&D Management, 39(4), 317-330. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2009.00561.x
- Hung, K. P. & Chou, C. (2013). The impact of open innovation on firm performance: The moderating effects of internal R&D and environmental turbulence. Technovation, 33(10-11), 368-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2013.06.006
- Kuratko, D. F., Hornsby, J. S., & Hayton, J. (2015). Corporate entrepreneurship: the innovative challenge for a new global economic reality. Small Business Economics, 45(2), 245-253. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-015-9630-8
- Baruah, B., & Ward, A. (2015). Metamorphosis of intrapreneurship as an effective organizational strategy. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 11(4), 811-822. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11365-014-0318-3
- Antoncic, B., & Hisrich, R. D. (2001). Intrapreneurship: Construct refinement and cross-cultural validation. Journal of Business Venturing, 16(5), 495-527. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(99)00054-3
- Zahra, S. A. (1993). Environment, corporate entrepreneurship, and financial performance: A taxonomic approach. Journal of Business Venturing, 8(4), 319-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(93)90003-N
- Lumpkin, G. T. & Dess, G. G. (1996). Clarifying the entrepreneurial orientation construct and linking it to performance. Academy of Management Review, 21(1), 135-172. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9602161568
- Rogers, E. M., Medina, U. E., Rivera, M. A. & Wiley, C. J. (2005). Complex adaptive systems and the diffusion of innovations. The Innovation Journal: The Public Sector Innovation Journal, 10(3), 1-26.
- Chesbrough, H. (2006). Open innovation: a new paradigm for understanding industrial innovation. Open innovation: Researching a new paradigm, 400, 1-19.
- Bianchi, M., Croce, A., Dell'Era, C., Di Benedetto, C. A. & Frattini, F. (2016). Organizing for inbound open innovation: how external consultants and a dedicated R&D unit influence product innovation performance. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 33(4), 492-510. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpim.12302
- Schumpeter, J. & Backhaus, U. The theory of economic development.(2003). Springer, Boston, MA.
- Hayton, J. C. (2003). Strategic human capital management in SMEs: An empirical study of entrepreneurial performance. Human Resource Management, 42(4), 375-391. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.10096
- Laursen, K., & Salter, A. (2006). Open for innovation: the role of openness in explaining innovation performance among UK manufacturing firms. Strategic Management Journal, 27(2), 131-150. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.507
- Oly Ndubisi, N., & Iftikhar, K. (2012). Relationship between entrepreneurship, innovation and performance: Comparing small and medium-size enterprises. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 14(2), 214-236. https://doi.org/10.1108/14715201211271429
- Pinchot, G. (1985). Intrapreneurship. New York.
- Seshadri, D. V. R., & Tripathy, A. (2006). Innovation through intrapreneurship: The road less travelled. Vikalpa, 31(1), 17-30. https://doi.org/10.1177/0256090920060102
- Rhee, J. H., & Yang, H. J. (2011). Relationships Among International Entrepreneurship, Core Competence, and Internationalization. Korean Journal of Business Administration, 24(6), 3247-3271.
- Teece, D. J. (2007). Explicating dynamic capabilities: the nature and microfoundations of (sustainable) enterprise performance. Strategic Management Journal, 28(13), 1319-1350. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.640
- Asakawa, K., Nakamura, H., & Sawada, N. (2010). Firms' open innovation policies, laboratories' external collaborations, and laboratories' R&D performance. R&D Management, 40(2), 109-123. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2010.00598.x
- Hauser, J., Tellis, G. J. & Griffin, A. (2006). Research on innovation: A review and agenda for marketing science. Marketing Science, 25(6), 687-717. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1050.0144
- Chang, S. D. & Zhu, Y. M. (2012). Corporate Entrepreneurship, Social Capitals, and SMEs' Performance in China. The e-Business Studies, 13(2), 283-299. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.13.2.201206.283
- Hwang, S. K. (2013). The Effects of Corporate Entrepreneurship on Self-Efficacy and Firm Performance in Small and Medium-sized Firms of Gyeongnam Region. Journal of the Korea Safety Management and Science, 15(4), 345-356. https://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2013.15.4.345
- Lassen, A. H., Gertsen, F. & Riis, J. O. (2006). The nexus of corporate entrepreneurship and radical innovation. Creativity and Innovation Management, 15(4), 359-372. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8691.2006.00406.x
- Hoque, Z., & James, W. (2000). Linking balanced scorecard measures to size and market factors: impact on organizational performance. Journal of management accounting research, 12(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.2308/jmar.2000.12.1.1