- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Influences of Closeness with Parents and Awareness of Internet Policies on Internet Addiction among Adolescents in Multicultural Families in South Korea
다문화가정 청소년의 부모 친밀도와 인터넷 정책 인지도가 인터넷 중독에 미치는 영향
- Lee, RaeHyuck (College of Hyang-seol Nanum, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Chang, Hae Lim (Department of Social Welfare, Seoul Jangsin University)
- Received : 2018.01.04
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
Using data from the 2014 Survey on Internet Addiction performed by the National Information Society Agency, this study aimed to examine the influences of closeness with parents and awareness of Internet policies on Internet Addiction among adolescents in multicultural families in South Korea. Descriptive analyses showed that multicultural adolescents had on average 2.09 points on the whole scale of 15 items, but had on average 2.20 points on the sub-scale of withdrawal symptoms and on average 2.18 points on the sub-scale of tolerance symptoms. Multiple regression analyses revealed that multicultural adolescents' closeness with parents was significantly associated with lower levels of Internet addiction. Also, multicultural adolescents' awareness of Internet policies was also significantly associated with lower levels of Internet addiction. Based on the findings, this study suggested the necessity of providing parent education programs and enhancing awareness of Internet policies to reduce Internet addiction among adolescents in multicultural families.
Multicultural families;Internet addiction;Adolescents;Closeness with parents;Awareness of Internet policies
Supported by : Soonchunhyang University
- M. K. Kim. (2016). Relationship of multicultural adolescents' stress, depression, family resilience and Internet game addiction. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 7(1), 205-210. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.205 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.205
- J. S. Min. (2017). A study on the Internet abuse factors of community sentiment: Focused on social presence and social interaction. Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, 11(1), 153-164. DOI :10.21184/jkeia.2017.01.11.1.153
- National Information Society Agency. (2015). A survey on Internet addiction.
- K. S. Young. (1999). Internet addiction: Symptoms, evaluation and treatment. In L. VandeCreek & T. L. Jackson (Eds.), Innovations in clinical practice: A source book (17, pp. 19-31). Sarasota, FL: Professional Resource Press.
- K. S. Kim. (2009). The parents-related factors prediction model for Internet game addiction of adolescence. Ph.D. dissertation, Seoul: Chung-Ang University.
- S. Y. Oh. (2013). A study on the reasons and solutions of Internet addiction in multi-cultural family. Korean Journal of Local Government & Administration Studies, 27(3), 165-189. DOI : 10.18398/kjlgas.2013.27.3.165 https://doi.org/10.18398/kjlgas.2013.27.3.165
- J. K. Lee & W. Y. Choi. (2011). Study on risk factors and protective factors of Internet addiction of the adolescents. Korea Journal of Counseling, 12(6), 2085-2104. DOI: 10.15703/kjc.12.6.201112.2085 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.6.201112.2085
- Y. M. Kim. (2013). Critical considerations for multi-cultural discourses and policies in Korea. Journal of Korean Political and Diplomatic History, 35(1), 141-174. DOI: 10.18206/kapdh.35.1.201308.141 https://doi.org/10.18206/kapdh.35.1.201308.141
- I. J. Yoon & Y. H. Song. (2011). South Koreans' perceptions of national identity and acceptance of multiculturalism. Korean Journal of Unification Affairs, 23(1), 143-192.
- Korean Women's Development Institute. (2012). A study on multiculturalism.
- B. E. Seo. (2017). The factors affecting cyber delinquency among Korean youth: Focus on school level differences. Journal of Educational Research, 15(1), 77-99.
- S. C. Park & Y. S. Yun. (2017). The impact of adolescent's national identity on multicultural acceptability. Youth Facilities and Environment, 13(2), 19-30.
- J. A. Bank. (2009). Human rights, diversity, and citizenship education. Educational Forum, 73, 100-110. doi.org/10.1080/00131720902739478 https://doi.org/10.1080/00131720902739478
- T. I. Kim. (May 25, 2017). Internet and smart phone addictions. Yonhap News. http://v.media.daum.net/v/20170525060031407?f=o
- O. Y. Eom. (2010). A study on the ecological factor giving effect to juvenile's Internet addiction: Focusing on depression and self-control. Ph.D. dissertation, Seoul: Hanyoung Theological University.
- I. Goldberg. (May 25, 2017). Internet addiction, electronic message posed to research discussion list. http://users.rider.edu/-suler/psycyber/supportgp.html
- Wikipedia. (n.d.). Internet addiction disorder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_addiction_disorder
- C. B. Weng et al. (2013). Gray matter and white matter abnormalities in online game addiction. European Journal of Radiology, 82(8), 1308-1312. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejrad.2013.01.031 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2013.01.031
- K. S. Young. (2009). Understanding online gaming addiction and treatment issues for adolescents. American Journal of Family Therapy, 37(5), 355-356. doi.org/10.1080/01926180902942191 https://doi.org/10.1080/01926180902942191
- Ministry of the Interior and Safety. (2015). 2015 statistics on foreign population.
- M. K. Song, S. H. Jee, E. K. Cho & Y. S. Lim. (2008). A study on the parental experience of a foreign mother in a multicultural family. Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 20(2), 497-517.
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. (2016). An analysis on the national survey of multicultural families 2015.
- Y. Cui & H. S. Kwon. (2014). A study on the current status of media addiction and strategy of media education for adolescents from multicultural families. Journal of Migration and Society, 7(2), 61-84.
- National Youth Policy Institute. (2016). A longitudinal survey on multicultural adolescents IV.
- J. D. Kwon. (2014). Human behavior and social environment. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- B. S., Hong & M. A. Nam. (2013). Youth welfare. Goyang: Knowledge Community.
- S. Y. Kim & Y. S. Kim. (2017). A study on the health inequality in childhood: The moderating effects of social support between the social economic level and health problems. Forum For Youth Culture, 50, 8-30.
- I. H. Song & J. H. Park. (2011). The effect of parent-child bonding on adolescent health promotion behavior: A study on the mediating effect of self-efficacy. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 18(6), 75-98.
- E. S. Kwon & I. H. Ku. (2010). The effect of poverty on children's health. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 62(4), 129-148. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2010.62.4.006
- J. H. Kang. (2012). The relation between the multi-cultural family father's participation in rearing of children and the children's adaptability in the educational institutions for children. Master thesis, Seoul: Hankuk University of Foreign Studies.
- S. H. Park. (2009). A study on resilience in children of multicultural families. Ph.D. dissertation, Naju: Dongshin University.
- Y. J. Lee. (2011). A study on parent-children relation influences on Internet excess utility of adolescents in digital period. Journal of Digital Convergence, 9(6), 104-111.
- The Commission on Youth Protection. (2004). A survey on youth Internet use.
- Y. S. Sung. (2006). A study of adolescents' perception of information policy. Youth Facilities and Environment, 4(3), 15-38.
- Y. J. Lee. (2011). A study on cognition and policy of shut-down system of adolescent. Journal of Digital Convergence, 9(3), 21-29.
- E. J. Lee. (2016). The implication of French policy for preventing adolescent addiction based on the social ecology theory. Studies on Life and Culture, 41, 1-51.
- Korea Creative Content Agency. (2014). A survey on Korean and Japanese game users.
- H. S. Kim. (2010). The effects of the school environmental factors on Internet addition in adolescence: Focusing on moderating effects of gender. Journal of The Korea Society of Computer and Information, 15(1), 193-200. https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2010.15.1.193
- S. W. Choi & S. H. Kim. (2015). Influence of adolescent attachment to parents on addiction to smart phone: Mediation effect brought in by self-esteem. Korean Journal of School Psychology, 12(3), 365-383. https://doi.org/10.16983/kjsp.2015.12.3.365
- Korea Agency for Digital Opportunity and Promotion. (2002). A study on developing counseling and preventing programs for Internet addiction.
- D. N. Greenfield. (1999). Psychological characteristics of compulsive Internet use: A preliminary analysis. Cyber Psychology & Behavior, 8(5), 403-412. doi: 10.1089/cpb.1999.2.403
- K. S. Young. (1996). Psychology of computer use: XL. Addictive use of the Internet: A case that breaks the stereotype. Psychological Reports, 79(3), 899-902. DOI: 10.2466/pr0.19184.108.40.2069 https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19220.127.116.119
- National Information Society Agency. (2011). Third standardization of Korean Internet Addiction Proneness Scale.
- D. R. Shin, H. G. Baek & J. H. Kang. (2008). A study of the key factors on the Internet addiction of the youth. Journal of Digital Convergence, 6(3), 93-107.
- S. I. Yun, H. S. An & S. W. Oh. (2012). The influence of the attachment of parents and the stress of school life middle-school students to the Internet fame addiction. Journal of Digital Convergence, 10(7), 221-227. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.7.221
- J. A. Ryu. (2016). A study for parent education for Internet addiction prevention of children in multicultural families. Journal of the Korean Society for Computer Game, 29(4), 125-131. https://doi.org/10.21493/kscg.2016.29.2.125
- National Information Society Agency. (2016). A survey on Internet addiction.
- C. J. Yu, G. T. Kim & S. H. Lim. (2012). The study on welfare service of multicultural families youth. Journal of Digital Convergence, 10(5), 19-26. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.5.019
- S. Y. Park & S. N. Yang. (2015). Factors associated with internet use time among adolescents: Focused on convergent implications. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(9), 387-395. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.387 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.387
- B. H. Yoo, S. M. Kim, H. G. Baek & J. H. Kang. (2009). Impact of Internet addiction on school life adaptation. Journal of Digital Convergence, 7(2), 71-81.