- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Baby Boom Generation' Leisure Activities on ICT Skills
베이비붐 세대의 여가활동이 ICT 이용 능력에 미치는 영향
- Oh, Joo Hyun (Barun ICT Research Center, Yonsei University)
- 오주현 (연세대학교 바른ICT연구소)
- Received : 2018.01.04
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.03.28
The objective of this study is to explore the way to improve baby boom generation's ICT skills in their daily life. This study explores the effect of leisure activities on ICT skills. The analysis used 2016 Korea Media Panel data. Results show that the more leisure activities baby-boomers participate, the higher ICT skills they could get. The result of 2SLS regression also supports the leisure activities' effect on the improvement of ICT skills. More specifically, watching performing art such as movies, musicals, affects the improvement of the integrated ICT skills, and creative hobbies such as cooking, painting, affect the ability to use video contents and e-commerce; shopping affects the improvement of communication and information searching with a digital device. These findings suggest that leisure activities could improve ICT skills for baby boom generation who are familiar with face to face communication.
Baby boom generation;leisure activities;ICT skills;Digital divide;Korea Media Panel
- Y. S. Koh. (2016). A Exploratory study on the digital aging policies as solutions for a aging society. Journal of digital convergence, 14(11), 115-123. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.115 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.115
- J. W. Rowe & R. L. Kahn. (1997). Successful aging. The Gerontologist, 37(4), 433-440. DOI : 10.1093/geront/37.4.433 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/37.4.433
- S. Fox. (2004). Older Americans and the Internet. Pew Internet & American Life.
- S. H. Park, & J. Choi. (2004). Cross-cultural analysis on Internet motives: South Korea and the U.S. Korean Society For Journalism and Communication Studies, 48(4), 243-270. URL: www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE00955277
- M. Prensky. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants. From on the Horison, 9(5), 1-6. DOI : 10.1108/10748120110424816
- Y. M. Jang, Y. L. Hur, & M. S. Jung. (2015). A study on the wellness change of life in the baby boomer generation. Journal of digital convergence, 13(3), 215-220. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.215 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.215
- J. H. Oh. (2017). Study on the social relationship of old generations and use of smart media: Shedding light on intra-generation digital divide and the effect of bridging generations. Doctorial dissertation, Yonsei University. Seoul.
- P. Norris. (2001). Digital Divide: Civic Engagement, information Poverty, and the Internet Worldwide. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- E. Hargittai (2002). Second-level digital divide: Differences in people's online skills. First Monday, 7(4). URL:www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue7_4/hargittai/ind ex.html
- H. K. Nam-Gung, I. H. Kim, & H. Chun (2017). Study on the correlates of digital disparity among older Seoul residents. Journal of digital convergence, 15(4), 73-81. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.73 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.73
- J. I. Ahn, & Y. K. Seo (2014). An analysis of sub-factors of digital media literacy divide: Focusing on the effects of generation and economic status. Journal of digital convergence, 12(2), 69-78. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2014.12.2.69 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.2.69
- H. J. Hwang & Y. S. Hwang. Gaps and reasons of digital divide within the elderly in Korea: Focusing on household composition. The Journal of Social Science, 24(3), 359-386. URL : www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE07246416
- E. Hargittai & A. Hinnant. (2008). Digital Inequality: Differences in young adults' use of the Internet. Communication Research, 35(5), 602-621. DOI : 10.1177/0093650208321782 https://doi.org/10.1177/0093650208321782
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. (2016). 2016 Survey on National Leisure Activity.
- H. Y. Yoon. (2016). Exploratory study on the perception of leisure and aging well in older Korean adults. Journal of Tourism & Leisure Research, 28(7), 201-221. URL : www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE07010488
- K. S. Kim & E. J. Lee. (2010). Relation between leisure sports' activities among older adults on activities of daily living and successful aging. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 10(5), 424-432. DOI : www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE01430358
- E. K. Jung & J. K. Kim. (2017). A study on the effects of baby boom generation' leisure and preparation for old aged on life satisfaction and moderated regression for spouse support. Journal of digital convergence, 15(10), 501-512. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.10.501 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.10.501
- Y. J. Shin & M. J. Koo. (2010). An explorative study on computer education for the elderly and their life satisfaction. International Journal of Adult & Continuing Education, 13(4), 119-147. URL : www.earticle.net/article.aspx?sn=132612
- S. Y. Yong & H. J. Son. (2012). Research on relationships between Internet use and the elderly's Life Quality, The Korea Contents Society, 12(4), 235-244. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.04.235 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.04.235
- A. H., Şar, G. Y. Göktürk, G. Tura, & N. Kazaz. (2012). Is he Internet use an effective method to cope with elderly loneliness and decrease loneliness symptom? Procedia-Social and Behavioral Science, 55, 1053-1059. DOI : 10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.597 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.597
- M. Karavidas, N. K. Kim, & S. L. Katsikas. (2005). The effects of computers on older adult users. Computers in Human Behavior, 21(5), 697-711. DOI : 10.1016/j.chb.2004.03.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2004.03.012
- M. R. Kim, T. U. Kim & J. A. Kim. (2009). Study on the factors influencing the intention of silver generation to use Internet. Journal of Internet Computing and Service, 10(1), 145-158. URL : www.koreascience.or.kr/article/ArticleFull Record.jsp? cn=OTJBCD_2009_v10n1_145
- R. W. Motl, & E. McAuley. (2011). Physical activity, disability, and quality of Life in older adults. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Clinics, 21(2), 299-308. DOI : 10.1016/j.pmr.2009.12.006.
- F. Sun, I. J. Norman, & A. E. While. (2013). Physical activity in older people: a systematic reviews. BMC public health, 13, 449. DOI : 10.1186/1471-2458-13-449 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-449
- J. D. Angrist & J. Pischke. (2009). Mostly Harmless Econometrics. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- H. H. Lee. (2017). Influential factor of life satisfaction based on types of baby boomer generation. Journal of digital convergence, 15(10), 19-29. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.10.19 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.10.19