- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Message Framing Depending on Psychological Ownership: Focusing on Information Security Behavior in Online Service
심리적 소유감에 따른 메시지 프레이밍 효과: 온라인 서비스에서의 사용자 정보보안 행동을 중심으로
- Received : 2018.01.11
- Accepted : 2018.03.05
- Published : 2018.03.31
As the online space becomes more active, interest in protecting personal information is increasing. From this point of view, it is important to prevent personal information from being leaked in advance. As a precaution, it is suggested that users change their password periodically to protect their personal information effectively. Currently, various online services provide a request message that prompts users to periodically change their password. These messages are expressed as positive-centric or negative-centric. This message can be seen as a powerful way to trigger users' behavior. In this context, this study suggests that message framing type can be applied to the password change request message, and to investigate the difference between the positive-centric message and the negative-centric message. In addition, this study concluded that the effect of message type may be different depending on the degree of psychological ownership of the individual on the online service. As a result, users with high psychological ownership in online service were more effective when positive-centric message was presented than negative-centric message. On the other hand, users with low psychological ownership in online service were more effective when negative-centric message was presented than positive-centric message.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 박도형. 2014. "온라인 커뮤니티 특성, 커뮤니티 멤버 특성, 개인 특성이 잠복관찰 활동에 미치는 영향: 왜 사람들은 쓰지 않고 읽기만 하는가?" 인터넷정보학회논문지 (15:1), pp. 73-88. https://doi.org/10.7472/jksii.2014.15.1.73
- 박도형. 2017a. "심리적 거리로서의 가상성: 가상성에 따른 광고메시지 전략," Journal of Information Technology Applications and Management (24:2), pp. 39-54. https://doi.org/10.21219/jitam.2017.24.2.039
- 박도형. 2017b. "심리적 거리로서의 가상성과 시간 적 거리: 제품 정보 유형의 제품 태도에 미치는 효과를 중심으로," 지식경영연구 (18:3), pp. 163-178. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2017.18.3.008
- 박도형, 이동원, and 정재권. 2016. "규범적 기대와 예언적 기대가 소비자 만족에 미치는 영향," 한국산학기술학회 논문지 (17:7), pp. 245-255.
- 박도형, and 정재권. 2014. "조절일치가 소비자 제품 태도에 미치는 영향: - 광고 조절일치 vs. 소비자 후기 조절일치," e-비즈니스연구 (15:4), pp. 127-148.
- 전승표, and 박도형. 2013. "웹검색 트래픽 정보를 활용한 지능형 브랜드 포지셔닝 시스템," 지능정보연구 (19:3), pp. 93-111. https://doi.org/10.13088/jiis.2013.19.3.093
- 정재권, and 박도형. 2013. "자기조절초점에 따른 온라인 제품 리뷰의 효과에 관한 연구," e-비즈니스연구 (14:3), pp. 77-93.
- 한국인터넷진흥원 2014. "정보보호산업 전망"
- 한국인터넷진흥원 2015. "정보보호실태조사 개인부문"
- Asatryan, V. 2006, "Psychological ownership theory: An application for the restaurant industry," Dissertation Iowa State University, USA
- Avey, J. B., Luthans, F., and Jensen, S. M. 2009. "Psychological capital: A positive resource for combating employee stress and turnover," Human resource management (48:5), pp. 677-693. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20294
- Block, L. G., and Keller, P. A. 1995. "When to accentuate the negative: The effects of perceived efficacy and message framing on intentions to perform a health-related behavior," Journal of Marketing Research (32:2), pp. 192-203. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379503200206
- Brasel, S. A., and Gips, J. 2014. "Tablets, touchscreens, and touchpads: How varying touch interfaces trigger psychological ownership and endowment," Journal of Consumer Psychology (24:2), pp. 226-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2013.10.003
- Csikszentmihalyi, M., and Halton, E. 1981. The meaning of things: Domestic symbols and the self, Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press
- Fiske, S. T., and Taylor, S. E. 2013. Social cognition: From brains to culture. Sage.
- Ford, R., and Heaton, C. 2001. "Managing your guest a saquasi - employee," The Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly (42:2), pp. 46-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-8804(01)80038-0
- Ganzach, Y., and Karsahi, N. 1995. "Message Framing and Buying Behavior: A Field Experiment," Journal of Business Research (32:1), pp. 11-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(93)00038-3
- Gurm, H. S., and Litaker, D. G. 2000. "Framing Procedural Risks to Patients: is 99% Safe the Same as a Risk of 1 in 100?," Academic Medicine (75:8), pp. 840-842. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200008000-00018
- Hidalgo, M. C., and Hernandez, B. 2001. "Place attachment: Conceptual and empirical questions," Journal of environmental psychology (21:3), pp. 273-281. https://doi.org/10.1006/jevp.2001.0221
- Hulland, J., Thompson, S. A., & Smith, K. M. 2015. "Exploring Uncharted Waters: Use of Psychological Ownership Theory in Marketing," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice (23:2), pp. 140-147.
- James, K. E., and Hensel, P. J. 1991. "Negative Advertising: The Malicious Strain of Comparative Advertising," Journal of Advertising (20:2), pp. 53-69. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1991.10673213
- Jun, S. P., and Park, D. -H. 2017. "Visualization of brand positioning based on consumer web search information: Using social network analysis," Internet Research (27:2), pp. 381-407. https://doi.org/10.1108/IntR-02-2016-0037
- Kahneman, D., and Tversk y, A. 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica (47:2), pp. 263-292. https://doi.org/10.2307/1914185
- Karahanna, E., Xu, S. X., and Zhang, N. 2015. "Psychological ownership motivation and use of social media," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice (23:2), pp. 185-207.
- Keller, P. A., Lipkus, I. M., and Rimer, B. K. 2003. "Affect, Framing, and Persuasion," Journal of Marketing Research (40:1), p p. 54-64. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.18.104.22.16833
- Kim, Y. S., Park, D. -H., and Park, S. B. 2015. "Tariff choice of online contents based on usage goal and self-control: can I control myself?" Internet Research (25:5), pp. 852-867. https://doi.org/10.1108/IntR-01-2014-0029
- Kwahk, K. -Y., and Park, D. -H. 2018. "Leveraging your knowledge to my performance: The impact of transactive memory capability on job performance in a social media environment," Computers in Human Behavior (80), pp. 314-330.
- Lee, J., and Suh, A. 2015. "How d o virtual community members develop psychological ownership and what are the effects of psychological ownership in virtual communities?" Computers in Human Behavior (45), pp. 382-391.
- Lee, S., Park, D. -H., and Han, I. 2014. "New members' online socialization in online communities: The effects of content quality and feedback on new members' content-sharing intentions," Computers in Human Behavior (30), pp. 344-354.
- Levin, I. P., and Gaeth, G. 1988. "How Consumers are Affected by the Framing of Attribute Information Before and After Consuming the Product," Journal of Consumer Research (15:3), pp. 374-378. https://doi.org/10.1086/209174
- Levin, I. P., Schneider, S., and Gaeth, G. 1998. "All Frames Are Not Created Equal: A Typology and Critical Analysis of Framing Effects," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes (76:2), pp. 149-188. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1998.2804
- Mano, H. 1994. "Risk-taking, Framing Effects, and Affect," Organizational behavior and human decision processes (57:1), pp. 38-58. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1994.1003
- Meyerowitz, B. E., and Chaiken, S. 1987. "The Effect of Message Framing on Breast Self-examination Attitudes, Intentions, and Behavior," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (52:3), pp. 500-510. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1240
- Moon, J. (2006). The role of psychological ownership and social identity in e-business: Strategies for building e-loyalty towards blog services. State University of New York at Buffalo.
- O'driscoll, M. P., Pierce, J. L., and Coghlan, A. M. 2006. "The psychology of ownership : Work environment structure, organizational commitment, and citizenship behaviors," Group & Organization Management (31:3), pp. 388-416. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601104273066
- Park, D. -H., and Kim, S. 2008. "The effects of consumer knowledge on message processing of electronic word-of-mouth via online consumer reviews," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications (7:4), pp. 399-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2007.12.001
- Park, D. -H., and Lee, J. 2008. "eWOM overload and its ef fect on consumer behavioral intention depending on consumer involvement," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications (7:4), pp. 386-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2007.11.004
- Park, D. -H., Lee, J., and Han, I. 2007. "The effect of on-line consumer reviews on consumer purchasing intention: The moderating role of involvement," International Journal of Electronic Commerce (11:4), pp. 125-148. https://doi.org/10.2753/JEC1086-4415110405
- Park, S. -B., and Park, D. -H. 2013. "The effect of low-versus high-variance in product reviews on product evaluation," Psychology and Marketing (30:7), pp. 5 43-554. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20626
- Peck, J., & Shu, S. B. 2009. "The Effect of Mere Touch on Perceived Ownership," Journal of Consumer Research (36:3), pp. 434-447. https://doi.org/10.1086/598614
- Pierce, J. L, Kostova, T., and Dirks, K. T. 2001. "Toward a Theory of Psychological Ownership in Organizations," The Academy of Management Review (26:2), pp. 298-310. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2001.4378028
- Pierce, J. L., Kostova, T., and Dirks, K. T. 2003. "The State of Psychological Ownership: Integrating and Extending a Century of Research," Review of general psychology (7:1), pp. 84-107. https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-26126.96.36.199
- Rothman, A. J., Salovey, P., Antone, C., Keough, K., and Martin, C. D. 1993. "The Inf luence of Message Framing on Intentions to Perform Health Behaviors," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology (29:5), pp. 408-433. https://doi.org/10.1006/jesp.1993.1019
- Sinclair, G., and Tinson, J. 2017. "Psychological ownership and music streaming consumption," Journal of Business Research (71), pp. 1-9.
- Smith, G. E. 1996. "Framing in Advertising and the Moderating Impact of Consumer Education," Journal of Advertising Research (35:5), pp. 49-64.
- Vandewalle, D., Van Dyne, L., and Kostova, T. 1995. "Psychological ownership: An empirical examination of its consequences," Group & Organization Management (20:2), pp. 210-226. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601195202008
- Van Dyne, L., and Pierce, J. L. 2004. "Psychological ownership and feelings of possession: Three field studies predicting employee attitudes and organizational citizenship behavior," Journal of organizational behavior (25:4), pp. 439-459. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.249
- Zhao, Q., Chen, C. D., and Wang, J. L. 2016. "The effects of psychological ownership and TAM on social media loyalty: An integrated model," Telematics and Informatics (33:4), pp. 959-972. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2016.02.007