- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Electret-based microgenerators under sinusoidal excitations: an analytical modeling
- Nguyen, Cuong C. (Centre for Biomedical Engineering, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Adelaide) ;
- Ranasinghe, Damith C. (Auto-ID Lab, School of Computer Science, University of Adelaide) ;
- Al-Sarawi, Said F. (Centre for Biomedical Engineering, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Adelaide)
- Received : 2017.06.28
- Accepted : 2018.02.08
- Published : 2018.03.25
The fast-growing number of mobile and wearable applications has driven several innovations in small-scale electret-based energy harvesting due to the compatibility with standard microfabrication processes and the ability to generate electrical energy from ambient vibrations. However, the current modeling methods used to design these small scale transducers or microgenerators are applicable only for constant-speed rotations and small sinusoidal translations, while in practice, large amplitude sinusoidal vibrations can happen. Therefore, in this paper, we formulate an analytical model for electret-based microgenerators under general sinusoidal excitations. The proposed model is validated using finite element modeling combined with numerical simulation approaches presented in the literature. The new model demonstrates a good agreement in estimating both the output voltage and power of the microgenerator. This new model provides useful insights into the microgenerator operating mechanism and design trade-offs, and therefore, can be utilized in the design and performance optimization of these small structures.
Supported by : Department of State Development
- Bartsch, U., Sander, C., Blattmann, M., Gaspar, J. and Paul, O. (2009), "Influence of parasitic capacitances on the power output of electretbased energy harvesting generators", Proc. Power MEMS, 332-335.
- Bhatnagar, V. and Owende, P. (2015), "Energy harvesting for assistive and mobile applications", Energy Sci. Eng., 3(3), 153-173. https://doi.org/10.1002/ese3.63
- Boisseau, S., Despesse, G. and Sylvestre, A. (2010), "Optimization of an electret-based energy harvester", Smart Mater. Struct., 19(7), 75015. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/19/7/075015
- Boland, J., Chao, Y.H., Suzuki, Y. and Tai, Y.C. (2003), "Micro electret power generator", Proceedings of the 16th Annual International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, 2003. MEMS-03 Kyoto. IEEE.
- Chen, R. and Suzuki, Y. (2013), "Suspended electrodes for reducing parasitic capacitance in electret energy harvesters", J. Micromech. Microeng., 23(12), 125015. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/23/12/125015
- Franco, S. (2002), Design With Operational Amplifiers And Analog Integrated Circuits McGraw-Hill: 187-188.
- Gradshteyn, I.S. and Ryzhik, I.M. (2014), Table of Integrals, Series, and Products Academic press.
- Jefimenko, O.D. and Walker, D.K. (1978), "Electrostatic current generator having a disk electret as an active element", IEEE T. Ind. Appl., 6(6), 537-540.
- Ju, S., Chae, S.H., Choi, Y., Lee, S., Lee, H.W. and Ji, C.H. (2013), "A low frequency vibration energy harvester using magnetoelectric laminate composite", Smart Mater. Struct., 22(11), 115037. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/22/11/115037
- Kiziroglou, M.E., He, C. and Yeatman, E.M. (2009), "Rolling rod electrostatic microgenerator", IEEE T. Ind. Electron., 56(4), 1101-1108. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2004381
- Lo, H.W. and Tai, Y.C. (2008), "Parylene-based electret power generators", J. Micromech. Microeng., 18(10), 104006. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/18/10/104006
- Meninger, S., Mur-Miranda, J.O., Amirtharajah, R., Chandrakasan, A. P. and Lang, J.H. (2001), "Vibration-to-electric energy conversion", IEEE T. Very Large Scale Integration Syst., 9(1), 64-76. https://doi.org/10.1109/92.920820
- Naruse, Y., Matsubara, N., Mabuchi, K., Izumi, M. and Suzuki, S. (2009), "Electrostatic micro power generation from low-frequency vibration such as human motion", J. Micromech. Microeng., 19(9), 94002. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/19/9/094002
- Nguyen, C.C., Ranasinghe, D.C. and Al-Sarawi, S.F. (2017), "Analytical modeling and optimization of electret-based microgenerators under sinusoidal excitations", Microsystem Technologies, 23(12), 5855-5865. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-017-3349-1
- Perez, M., Boisseau, S., Gasnier, P., Willemin, J., Geisler, M. and Reboud, J.L. (2016), "A cm scale electret-based electrostatic wind turbine for low-speed energy harvesting applications", Smart Mater. Struct., 25(4), 45015. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/25/4/045015
- Renaud, M., Altena, G., Elfrink, R., Goedbloed, M., de Nooijer, C. and van Schaijk, R. (2015), "Modeling and characterization of electret based vibration energy harvesters in slot-effect configuration", Smart Mater. Struct., 24(8), 85023. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/24/8/085023
- Roundy, S. and Takahashi, E. (2013), "A planar electromagnetic energy harvesting transducer using a multi-pole magnetic plate", Sensors Actuat. A-phys., 195, 98-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2013.03.018
- Roundy, S. and Wright, P.K. (2004), "A piezoelectric vibration based generator for wireless electronics", Smart Mater. Struct., 13(5), 1131-1142. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/13/5/018
- Tada, Y. (1992), "Experimental characteristics of electret generator, using polymer film electrets", Japanese J. Appl. Phys., 31(3), 846-51. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.31.846
- Temme, N.M. (2011), Special Functions: An Introduction To The Classical Functions Of Mathematical Physics John Wiley & Sons: 110.
- Torah, R., Glynne-Jones, P., Tudor, M., O'Donnell, T., Roy, S. and Beeby, S. (2008), "Self-powered autonomous wireless sensor node using vibration energy harvesting", Meas. Sci. Technol., 19(12), 125202. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/19/12/125202
- Tsutsumino, T., Suzuki, Y., Kasagi, N. and Sakane, Y. (2006), "Seismic power generator using high-performance polymer electret", Proceedings of the 19th IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems.
- Wang, H., Tang, L., Shan, X., Xie, T. and Yang, Y. (2014), "Modeling and performance evaluation of a piezoelectric energy harvester with segmented electrodes", Smart Struct. Syst., 14(2), 247-266. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.2.247
- Yang, Y. and Tang, L. (2009), "Equivalent circuit modeling of piezoelectric energy harvesters", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Str., 20(18), 2223-2235. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X09351757
- Yang, Z., Halvorsen, E. and Dong, T. (2014), "Electrostatic energy harvester employing conductive droplet and thin-film electret", IEEE/ASME J. Microelectromech. Syst., 23(2), 315-323. https://doi.org/10.1109/JMEMS.2013.2273933
- Yen, B.C. and Lang, J.H. (2006), "A variable-capacitance vibration-toelectric energy harvester", IEEE T. Circ. Syst., 53(2), 288-295. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2005.856043
- Yun, J., Patel, S.N., Reynolds, M.S. and Abowd, G.D. (2011), "Design and performance of an optimal inertial power harvester for human-powered devices", IEEE T. Mobile Comput., 10(5), 669-683. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMC.2010.202