- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Harmonization of Rules of Origin: An Agenda for Plurilateral Cooperation?
- Received : 2018.01.09
- Accepted : 2018.03.02
- Published : 2018.03.30
This article discusses the deadlock in the WTO on multilateral harmonization of nonpreferential rules of origin (RoO) and reviews some of the RoO included in recent preferential trade agreements. We argue that there is a trend towards adoption of similar approaches and that this suggests that cooperation to reduce the trade-impeding effects of differences in RoO across jurisdictions is more feasible than often is assumed by observers and policymakers. From a trade facilitation perspective such cooperation could be based on plurilateral initiatives under the umbrella of the WTO. These could include a focus on pursuit of greater convergence between preferential and nonpreferential RoO helping to achieve the long-standing goal of moving towards harmonization of rules of origin.
- Anliker, M. 2016. Non-Preferential Rules of Origin: High Level Assessment. Geneva: Price Waterhouse Coopers.
- Bombarda, P. and E. Gamberoni. 2013. "Firm Heterogeneity, Rules of Origin and Rules of Cumulation," International Economic Review, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 307-328. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2354.2012.00734.x
- Cadot, O. and L. Y. Ing. 2016. "How Restrictive are ASEAN's RoOs?," Asian Economic Papers, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 115-134. https://doi.org/10.1162/ASEP_a_00461
- Cadot, O., Carrere, C., de Melo, J. and B. Tumurchudur. 2006. "Product-specific Rules of Origin in EU and US Preferential Trading Arrangements: An Assessment," World Trade Review, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 199-224. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1474745606002758
- Conconi, P., Garcia‐Santana, M., Puccio, L. and R. Venturini. 2016. From Final Goods to Inputs: The Protectionist Effect of Rules of Origin. CEPR Discussion Paper, no. 11084.
- Crivelli, P. and S. Inama. 2017. Comparative Analysis of RoO in Recent FTAs. UNCTAD and EUI. Excel Workbook and Related Tables. In Progress.
- Delegation of Switzerland. 2016. Principles and Guidelines to Streamline and Simplify Nonpreferential Rules of Origin. Geneva: World Trade Organization. (JOB/RO/6 and JOB/RO/7)
- Edwards, J. 2016. Report on the Effects of Duties and Working Within a Duty Free Environment.
- Estevadeordal, A. 1999. Negotiating Preferential Market Access: The Case of NAFTA. IDB Working Paper, no. 3.
- Estevadeordal, A. and K. Suominen. 2006. Mapping and Measuring Rules of Origin Around the World. In Cadot, O., Estevadeordal, A., Suwa-Eisenmann, A. and T. Verdier. (eds.) The Origin of Goods: Rules of Origin in Regional Trade Agreement. Oxford: CEPR and Oxford University Press. pp. 69-113.
- Estevadeordal, A. 2008. What are the Trade Effects of Rules of Origin?. In Estevadeordal A. and K. Suominen. (eds.) Gatekeepers of Commerce: Rules of Origin and International Economic Integration. New York: Inter-American Development Bank.
- Estevadeordal, A., Harris, J. and K. Suominen. 2009. Multilateralizing Preferential Rules of Origin Around the World. IDB Working Paper, no. IDB-WP-137.
- Hoekman, B. and M. Kostecki. 2009. The Political Economy of the World Trading System. (3rd ed.) Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Hoekman, B. and P. Mavroidis. 2015a. "WTO a la Carte or WTO Menu du Jour: Assessing the Case for Plurilateral Agreements," European Journal of International Law, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 319-343. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejil/chv025
- Hoekman, B. 2015b. "Embracing Diversity: Plurilateral Agreements and the Trading System," World Trade Review, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 101-116. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1474745614000378
- Hoekman, B. 2017. "MFN Clubs and Scheduling Additional Commitments in the GATT: Learning from the GATS," European Journal of International Law, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 387-407. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejil/chx022
- Inama, S. 2009. Rules of Origin in International Trade. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Inama, S. 2011. "The Reform of the EC GSP Rules of Origin: Per aspera ad astra?," Journal of World Trade, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 577-603.
- Inama, S. and E. Sim. 2015. Rules of Origin in ASEAN: A Way Forward. Cambridge: Cambridge Univesity Press.
- Inama, S., Vermulst, E. and P. Eeckhout. 2009. Nonpreferential Origin Rules in Antidumping Law and Practice. In Bagwell, K., Bermann, G. and P. Mavroidis. (eds.) Law and Economics of Contingent Protection in International Trade. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 276-308.
- Keizer, W. 1997. "Negotiations on Harmonized Non-Preferential Rules of Origin: A Useless Task from a Trade Policy Perspective?," Journal of World Trade, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 145-151.
- Lawrence, R. 2006. "Rulemaking Amidst Growing Diversity: A 'Club of Clubs' Approach to WTO Reform and New Issue Selection," Journal of International Economic Law, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 823-835. https://doi.org/10.1093/jiel/jgl032
- Mavroidis, P. C. 2016. The Regulation of International Trade. Cambridge MA: MIT Press.
- Soprano, R. 2016. "The Challenge of Designing "New" Rules of Origin in International Trade," EUI, Mimeo.
- Swedish Board of Trade and UNCTAD. 2017. Excel Workbook and Related Tables. In Progress.