- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Variables affecting Korean word recognition: focusing on syllable shape
한글 단어 재인에 영향을 미치는 변인: 음절 형태를 중심으로
- Min, Suyoung (Sogang University Sogang University) ;
- Lee, Chang H. (Sogang University Sogang University)
- Received : 2018.11.02
- Accepted : 2018.11.28
- Published : 2018.12.30
Recent studies have demonstrated that word frequency, word length, neighborhood and word shape may have a role in visual word recognition. Shape information may affect word processing in different ways as Korean letter system works differently than that of English. The purpose of this study was to apply Gestalt's continuity principle to Korean alphabetic script(hangul), and to investigate the processing unit of hangul and to verify whether syllable shape affects word recognition in hangul. In experiment 1, three syllable words were utilized and two variables; 1) syllable types(horizontal syllable shape, e.g., "가". vertical syllable shape, e.g., "고") and 2) presenting direction (horizontal, vertical) were manipulated. Whereas "가" meets the criteria of Gestalt's continuity principle, "고" does not. Based on the result of lexical decision time, horizontal syllable shape type showed significant performance improvement, when compared to vertical syllable shape type, regardless of the presenting direction. In experiment 2, syllable types(horizontal syllable shape, vertical syllable shape) and the visual relationship between prime and target(identical, similar, different) were manipulated by using masked priming. There was a significant performance difference between the visual relationship of prime and target, and thus the effect of syllable shape was verified.
word recognition;continuity principle;processing unit;syllable shape;masked priming
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 권유안, 조혜숙, 김충명, 남기춘 (2006). 한국어 시각단어재인에서 나타나는 이웃효과. 말소리, 60(0), 29-45.
- 김호영, 정찬섭 (1992). 명조체와 샘물체 단어모양이 한글인식에 미치는 효과. 한국정보과학회 언어공학연구회 학술발표 논문집(pp. 259-267).
- 이광오, 배성봉 (2009). 한국어 음절의 표기 빈도와 형태소 빈도가 단어인지에 미치는 효과. 인지과학, 20(3), 309-333.
- 이준석, 김경린 (1989). 한글 낱말의 처리 단위, 인지과학, 1(2), 221-239.
- 강승식 (1998). 한글 문장의 자동 띄어쓰기. 한국정보과학회 언어공학연구회 학술발표 논문집(pp. 137-142).
- 권유안, 이윤형 (2014). 시각적 단어재인과정에서 단어 빈도와 단어 길이 효과의 발현 시점. 언어과학연구, 69, 43-62.
- 최양규 (1986). 음절수가 한글 단어재인 반응 시간에 미치는 영향. 석사학위 논문, 부산대학교, 부산.
- Burt, J. S. & Hutchinson, B. J. (2000). Case-mixing effects on spelling recognition: The importance of test format. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 29(4), 433-451. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005159329417
- Forster, K. I. (1998). The pros and cons of masked priming. Journal of psycholinguistic research, 27(2), 203-233. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023202116609
- Forster, K. I. & Forster, J. C. (2003). DMDX: A Windows display program with millisecond accuracy. Behavior research methods, instruments, & computers, 35(1), 116-124. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03195503
- Gallace, A. & Spence, C. (2011). To what extent do Gestalt grouping principles influence tactile perception?. Psychological bulletin, 137(4), 538-561. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0022335
- Haber, L. R., Haber, R. N., & Furlin, K. R. (1983). Word length and word shape as sources of information in reading. Reading Research Quarterly, 165-189.
- Haber, R. N. & Schindler, R. M. (1981). Error in proofreading: Evidence of syntactic control of letter processing?. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 7(3), 573-579. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-15184.108.40.2063
- Healy, A. F. & Cunningham, T. F. (1992). A developmental evaluation of the role of word shape in word recognition. Memory & Cognition, 20(2), 141-150. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03197163
- Korean Word Database (2001). 21th century Seiong project corpus. The National Institute of the Korean Language, Seoul, Korea.
- Kroll, J. F. & Smith, J. (1989). Naming pictures and words in categories. In Poster presented at the 1st annual meeting of the American Psychological Society, Alexandria, VA.
- Lavidor, M. (2011). Whole-word shape effect in dyslexia. Journal of Research in Reading, 34(4), 443-454. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9817.2010.01444.x
- Lavie, N. (1995). Perceptual load as a necessary condition for selective attention. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human perception and performance, 21(3), 451-468. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-15220.127.116.111
- Lee, C. H. & Taft, M. (2009). Are onsets and codas important in processing letter position? A comparison of TL effects in English and Korean. Journal of Memory and Language, 60(4), 530-542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jml.2009.01.002
- Lete, B. & Pynte, J. (2003). Word-shape and word-lexical-frequency effects in lexical-decision and naming tasks. Visual cognition, 10(8), 913-948. https://doi.org/10.1080/13506280344000112
- Lotto, L., Job, R., & Rumiati, R. (1999). Visual effects in picture and word categorization. Memory & cognition, 27(4), 674-684. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03211561
- Mayall, K. & Humphreys, G. W. (1996). Case mixing and the task sensitive disruption of lexical processing. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, & Cognition, 22(2), 278-294. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-7318.104.22.1688
- Mayall, K., Humphreys, G. W., & Olson, A. (1997). Disruption to word or letter processing? The origins of case-mixing effects. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 23(5), 1275-1286. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-7322.214.171.1245
- McClelland, J. L. & Rumelhart, D. E. (1981). An interactive activation model of context effects in letter perception: Part 1. An account of basic findings. Psychological review, 88(5), 375-407. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.88.5.375
- Monk, A. F. & Hulme, C. (1983). Errors in proofreading: Evidence for the use of word shape in word recognition. Memory & Cognition, 11(1), 16-23. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03197657
- Nakayama, M., Sears, C. R., & Lupker, S. J. (2008). Masked priming with orthographic neighbors: A test of the lexical competition assumption. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 34(5), 1236-1260. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-15126.96.36.1996
- Osterhout, L., Bersick, M. & McKinnon, R. (1997). Brain potentials elicited by words: Word Length and frequency predict the latency of an early negativity. Biological Psychology, 46(2), 143-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-0511(97)05250-2
- Perea, M. & Panadero, V. (2014). Does viotin activate violin more than viocin?. Experimental psychology, 61(1), 23-29. https://doi.org/10.1027/1618-3169/a000223
- Perea, M. & Rosa, E. (2002). Does 'whole-word shape' play a role in visual word recognition?. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, 64(5), 785-794. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03194745
- Rudnicky, A. I. & Kolers, P. A. (1984). Size and case of type as stimuli in reading. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 10(2), 231-249. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-15188.8.131.52
- Segui, J. & Grainger, J. (1990). Priming word recognition with orthographic neighbors: Effects of relative prime-target frequency. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 16(1), 65-76. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-15184.108.40.206
- Simpson, G. B. & Kang, H. (2004). Syllable processing in alphabetic Korean. Reading and Writing, 17, 137-151. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:READ.0000013808.65933.a1
- Smith, F. (1969). Familiarity of configuration vs. discriminability of features in the visual identification of words. Psychonomic Science, 14(6), 261-263. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03329112
- Snodgrass, J. G. & McCullough, B. (1986). The role of visual similarity in picture categorization. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 12(1), 147-154. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-73220.127.116.11
- Vitkovitch, M., Humphreys, G. W., & Lloyd-Jones, T. J. (1993). On naming a giraffe a zebra: Picture naming errors across different object categories. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 19(2), 243-259. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-7318.104.22.168
- Wagemans, J., Elder, J. H., Kubovy, M., Palmer, S. E., Peterson, M. A., Singh, M. et al. (2012). A century of Gestalt psychology in visual perception: I. Perceptual grouping and figure-ground organization. Psychological bulletin, 138(6), 1172-1217. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0029333
- Wagemans, J., Feldman, J., Gepshtein, S., Kimchi, R., Pomerantz, J. R., van der Helm, P. A. et al. (2012). A century of Gestalt psychology in visual perception: II. Conceptual and theoretical foundations. Psychological bulletin, 138(6), 1218-1252. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0029334
- Witte, K. L., Freund, J. S., & Csiki, I. (2002). Case-mixing effects on anagram solution. The Journal of general psychology, 129(2), 117-126. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221300209603132