- Volume 34 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Tractive Performance of an Underwater Tracked Vehicle Based on Soil-track Interaction Theory
궤도-지반 상호작용 이론을 활용한 해저궤도차량의 구동성능 평가
- Baek, Sung-Ha (Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engrg., Seoul National Univ.) ;
- Shin, Gyu-Beom (Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engrg., Seoul National Univ.) ;
- Kwon, Osoon (Coastal Disaster Prevention Research Center, Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology) ;
- Chung, Choong-Ki (Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engrg., Seoul National Univ.)
- Received : 2017.12.07
- Accepted : 2018.01.05
- Published : 2018.02.28
Underwater tracked vehicle is employed to perform underwater heavy works on saturated seafloor. When an underwater tracked vehicle travels on the seafloor, shearing action and ground settlement take place on the soil-track interface, which develops the soil thrust and soil resistance, respectively, and they restrict the tractive performance of an underwater tracked vehicle. Thus, unlike the paved road, underwater tracked vehicle performance does not solely rely on its engine thrust, but also on the soil-track interaction. This paper aimed at evaluating the tractive performance of an underwater tracked vehicle with respect to ground conditions (soil type, and relative density or consistency) and vehicle conditions (weight of vehicle, and geometry of track system), based on the soil-track interaction theory. The results showed that sandy ground and silty sandy ground generally provide sufficient tractions for an underwater tracked vehicle whereas tractive performance is very much restricted on clayey ground, especially for a heavy-weighted underwater tracked vehicle. Thus, it is concluded that an underwater tracked vehicle needs additional equipment to enhance the tractive performance on the clayey ground.
Grant : 해양개발용 수중건설로봇 사업단
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술진흥원, 서울대학교
- Bekker, M.G. (1956), Theory of Land Locomotion, University of Michigan Press.
- Bekker, M.G. (1960), Off the Road Locomotion, University of Michigan Press.
- Bekker, M.G. (1969), Introduction to Terrain-Vehicle Systems, University of Michigan Press.
- Dwyer, M.J., Comely, D.R., and Evernden, D.W. (1974), "The Field Performance of Some Tractor Tyres Related to Soil Mechanical Properties", J. of Agricultural Engineering Research, Vol.19, No.1, pp.35-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-8634(74)90005-5
- Grecenko, A. (2007), "Re-examined Principles of Thrust Generation by a Track on Soft Ground", J. of Terramechanics, Vol.44, No.1, pp.123-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jterra.2006.04.002
- Hettiaratchi, D.R.P. and Reece, A.R. (1974), "The Calculation of Passive Soil Resistance", Geotechnique, Vol.24, No.3, pp.289-310. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19188.8.131.529
- Hong, S., Kim, H.W., Yeu, T.K., Choi, J.S., Min, C.H., Yoon, S.M., Kim, J.H., Lee, M.U., Sung, K.Y., Lee, C.H., Oh, J.W., and Kim, S.S. (2013), "The Development of Pilot Mining Robot, MineRo, and sea Performance Tests", Proceedings of the Korea Society of Ocean Engineers Conference, Seoul, Korea, pp.60-63 (in Korean).
- Ivanov, Y. and Karev, Y. (1990), "Major Principle to Develop Offshore Bottom ROV's", International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, Seoul, Korea, pp.141-146.
- Jang, I.S., Kwon, O.S., and Chung, C.K. (2007), "Development of Unmanned Seabed Type Marine Cone Penetration Testing System", 2017 Fall Geotechnical Engineering Conference, pp.611-622.
- Jang, I.S., Min, J.T., Do, H.J., and Kim, M.J. (2014), "Development Trends of Underwater Construction Robotics and R&D Strategies for Practical Use", Proceedings of the Annual Autumn Meeting of Society of Unmanned Underwater Vehicle of Korea, pp.55-58.
- Kogure, K., Ohira, Y., and Tamaguchi, H. (1983), "Prediction of Sinkage and Motion Resistance of a Tracked Vehicle Using Plate Penetration Test", J. of Terramechanics, Vol.20, No.3, pp.121-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4898(83)90043-5
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (2013), Safety Standard for Construction Machinery, Korea Ministry of Government Legislation.
- Park, W., Lee, K., and Park, J. (2000), "The Prediction of Side Thrust Generated by Grousers under Track", J. of Korean Society of Agricultural Machinery, Vol.25, No.1, pp.1-10.
- Patal, N., Scott, P., and Ellery, A. (2004), "Application of Bekker Theory for Planetary Exploration through Wheeled, Tracked and Legged Vehicle Locomotion", Space 2004 Conference and Exhibit, San Diego, pp.1-9.
- Randolph, M. and Gourvenec, S. (2011), Offshore Geotechnical Engineering, Spon Press.
- Wong, J.Y. (1989), Terramechanics and Off-Road Vehicle Engineering, Elsevier.
- Wong, J.Y. and Huang, W. (2006), "Wheels vs. Tracks - A Fundamental Evaluation from the Traction Perspective", J. of Terramechanics, Vol.43, No.1, pp.27-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jterra.2004.08.003
- Yong, R., Fattah, E., and Skiadas, N. (1984), Vehicle Traction Mechanics, Elsevier.