- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Validity and Reliability of Korean Version of the Student Perception of Patient Safety Knowledge, Skills, Attitudes
한국판 환자안전 지식, 기술, 태도 측정도구의 타당도와 신뢰도
- Park, A Young (Dept. of Nursing, Gwangju University) ;
- Kim, Ja Ok (Dept. of Nursing, Wonkwang Health Science University)
- Received : 2017.11.29
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
To develop and test validity and reliability of Korean version of the Student Perception of Patient Safety Knowledge, Skills, Attitudes to assess applicability for nursing students. Survey data were collected from convenience sample of 425 fourth year nursing students who enrolled in four universities. Data were evaluated using item analysis, content validity, exploratory factor analysis, and Cronbach's alpha. The attitudes scale was eliminated since item-total correlations were less than .3, on the final Korean Version Scales. The attitudes subscale needs further refinement before implementation. The finding out this study demonstrate that the knowledge and skills scales showed satisfactory validity and reliability. It is useful to evaluate nursing students during educational preparation and in practice.
- Kohn, L.T., Corrigan, J.M. & Donaldson, M.S. (1999). To err is human: Building a safer health system. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- A. Y. Park & K. H. Kim. (2016). Development and Evaluation of Competency Based Qulaity Improvement and Safety Education Program for Undergraduate Nursing Students. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing 28(5), 559-571. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.5.559
- J. H. Lee & S. I Lee. (2009). Patient Safety: The Concept and General Approach. Journal of Korean Society of Quality Assurance in Health Care, 15(1), 9-16.
- J. Y. Kim & E. A Hwang. (2016). A Study on Improvement of Consumer Safety in Medical Services: Based on Patient Safety. Korean Consumer Agency.
- M. R. Kim. (2011). Concept Analysis of Patient Safety. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.1
- S. I. Lee. (2001). Quality of Care and Clinical Risk Management. Quality Improvement in Health Care, 8(1), 96-106.
- Mahajan, R. P. (2010). Critical incident reporting and learning. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 105(1), 69-75. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aeq133
- Y. M. Lee. (2009). Patient Safety Curriculum in Medical Education. Korean Journal ofMedical Education, 21(.3), 217-228. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2009.21.3.217
- Sammer, C., Lykens, K., Singh, K., Mains, D. & Lackan, N. (2010). What is patient safety culture? A review of the literature. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 42, 156-165. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2009.01330.x
- Sherwood G. & Barnsteiner J. (2012). Quality and Safety in Nursing: A competency based approach to improving outcomes. New Jersey: Wiley Publications.
- Chenot, T. M. & Daniel, L. G. (2010). Framework for Patient Safety in the Nursing Curriculum. Journal of Nursing Education, 49(10), 559-568. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20100730-02
- Institute of Medicine. (2010). The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- Djukic, M., Kovner, C. T., Brewer, C. S., Fatehi F. K. & Bernstein, I. (2013). Improvements in Educational Preparedness for Quality and Safety. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 4(2), 15-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(15)30152-6
- Ginsburg, L., Castel E., Tregunno, D. & Norton, P. G. (2012). The H-PEPSS: an instrument to measure health professionals' perception of patient safety competency at entry into practice. BMJ Quality & Safety, 21, 676-684. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2011-000601
- Schnall R, Stone P, Currie L, Desjardins K, John RM & Bakken S. (2008). Development of a self-report instrument to measure patient safety attitudes, skills, and knowledge. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 40(4), 391-394. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2008.00256.x
- Cronenwett, L., Sherwood, G. & Gelmon, S. B. (2009). Improving quality and safety education: The QSEN Learning Collaborative. Nursing Outlook, 57(6), 304-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2009.09.004
- Quality and Safety Education for Nurses. (2017). Quality and Safety Competencies. Quality and Safety Education for Nurse(online)http://qsen.org/about-qsen.
- Manning ML. & Frisby AJ. (2011). Multimethod teaching strategies to integrate selected QSEN competencies in a doctor of nursing practice distance education program. Nursing Outlook, 59(3), 166-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2011.01.001
- S. H. Choi & H. Y. Lee. (2015). Factor Affecting Nursing Students' Practice of Patient Safety Management in Clinical Practicum. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 21(2), 184-192. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.184
- J. H. Park & M. H. Park. (2014). Knowledge, Attitudes, and Confidence on Patient Safety of Undergraduate Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 20(1), 5-14. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.5
- S. S. Huh & H. Y. Kang. (2015). The Attitudes of Pateint Safety and Patient Safety Management Activity in Nursing Students. Journal of Korea Academic Industrial Cooperation Society, 16(8), 5458-5467. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5458
- Madigosky, W.S., Headrick, L.A., Nelson, K., Cox, K.R. & Anderson, T. (2006). Changing and sustaining medical students' knowledge, skills, and attitudes about patient safety and medical fallibility. Academy of Medicine, 81(1), 94-101. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200601000-00022
- Nunally, J. C. (1967). Psychometirc Theory. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- World Health Organization(2005). Process of translation and adaptation of instruments. Geneva(Switzerland): WHO.
- Curran, P. J., West, S. G., Finch, J. (1996). The robustness of test statistics to non-normality and specification error in confirmatory factor analysis. Psychological method, 16-29.
- Polit, D. F. & Beck, C. T. (2007). Nursing Research: Generating and Assessing Evidence for Nursing Practice 8th. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Press.
- J. K. Tak. (2014). Psychological Testing. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Ajzen, I. & Fishbein, M. (1980). Understanding attitudes and predicting social behavior. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- S. H., Choi, M. S. Park & S. J. Lee. (2012). Organizational Behavior. Seoul: Daemyung.
- M. K. Lee, A. R. Kim, S. I. Choi, S. K. Nam & S. M. Lee. (2010). Development and Validation of Ambivalent Attitudes Toward Seeking Counseling Scale. The Korean Journal of Counseling, 1(2), 465-483.