- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Phenomenological Approach toward The Problems of Squash Referee's Decision Making Experience
스쿼시 심판들이 경험하는 판정어려움에 대한 현상학적 접근
- Received : 2018.01.02
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The Journal of Digital Policy & Management. This space is for the abstract of your study in EnThis research aims to analyze the difficulties associated with the squash referee's decision by using the phenomenological analysis of Giorgi. With such approach, this paper investigated the fundamental causes of the difficulties of the decision making process of the referee, and then argues the needs for eliminating such causes. Five referees were recruited as the study participants, among the experienced referees with more than 10-year experience and 2nd grade certification, issued by the Korea Squash Federation. The research was conducted between June 2015 and July 2016. Participatory observation, semi-structured in-depth interview. Following Giorgian four-step phenomenological analysis, all transcribed interview data were categorized into three components-'problems from the individual situation', 'problems from the social situation', and 'problems from the circumstantial situation'. Although the referees are one of major factors that determine the success and failure of the game, their working condition is far from the ideal, as observed in the problems above. Therefore, to improve the quality of the judgement, it is most important to reward the referees, who are the subject of the decision, with better economic treatment. Such improvement of the working condition of the referees is also highly related with the reproduction and professionalization of the referees.
Squash;Professional referee;Problems of referee's decision;In-depth interview;Phenomenological approach
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- B. H. Lee & S. M. Lee. (2017). An Inductive Analysis for Squash Player's Cognizance of Referee Judgement. Journal of Korean Association of Physical Education and Sport for Girls and Women, 30(3), 95-106.
- B. H. Park. (2015). A Phenomenological Study on Marital Conflicts Experienced by Female Christian Counseling Experts, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul Theology University.
- C. H. Park. (2005). Analysis on Sport Experience Through the Phenomenological Approach, Korea sport research, 16(4), 1095-1102.
- D. J. Lee. (2008). Phenomenological Approach to Experience Learning for Students, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dankook University.
- Eliott, B. (1996). The role of upper limb segment rotations in the development of racket-head speed in the squash forehand, Journal of Sports Science 14, 159-165. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640419608727697
- G. R. Shin. (2004). Qualitative Research Bethodology, Seoul: Ewha Women's University Press.
- H. B. Kim & B. J. Kim. (2017). The Impact of Color on the Glove Pitcher Hitting a Batter Concentration. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(3), 405-411. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.405
- I. J. Hwang. (2007). The Equity-examination of Taekwondo Referee & Refree-education System Improvement Plan, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyunghee University.
- K. K. Cho & Y. S. Kim. (2007). The Kinematic Analysis and the Study of Muscle Activities during Backhand Drive in Squash, Journal of Sports Biomechanics, 17(3), 11-21.
- Lincoln, Y. S., & Guba, E. G. (1985). Naturalistic Inquiry. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- M. H. Joe. (2008), A Qualitative Analysis on Expertise of DanceSport Judge, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dongduk Women's University.
- S. E. Kim & S. K. Kim. (2014). A Kinematic Analysis of Upper Extremity during Squash Backhand Drop Shot. Journal of The Korean Society of Living Environmental System, 21(5), 681-691. https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2014.10.21.5.681
- S. Y. Han. (2009). The Relationship of Coaching Type on Squash Players' Satisfaction and Performance. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 8, 149-157.
- Y. K. Kim & M. R. Lee. (2010). The relationships among exercise adherence, exercise emotion and exercise addiction in squash participants. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 49(2), 299-306.
- Y. K. Yeo & Y. K. Kim. (2008). The relationships among goal orientation, degree of maturation and sport coping of badminton players. The Korean Journal of Physical Education 11, 235-244.