- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Relationship among Failed Belongingness, Perceived Burdensomeness, and Suicidal Ideation of Psychiatric Inpatients: Mediation Effect of Depression
정신건강의학과 입원 환자의 좌절된 소속감, 인식된 짐스러움 및 자살사고와의 관계: 우울의 매개효과
- Kang, Hee Yang (Eulji University Hospital, Dept. of Psychiatry) ;
- Chang, Eun Jin (Korea Baptist Theological University, Dept. of Counseling Psychology)
- Received : 2018.01.04
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
This study focuses on the influence of interpersonal relationship in suicidal ideation and mediation effect of depression in the case of psychiatric inpatients. The subject group was consisted of 109 psychiatric inpatients. Interpersonal relationship was classified into 'perceived burdensomeness' and 'failed belongingness' Findings were as follows: Perceived burdensomeness directly influence depression and through depression also indirectly influences suicidal ideation. In contrast, failed belongingness, though directly influencing depression, do not influence suicidal ideation. In accordance with these findings, this study argues that when intervening in the suicidal ideation of psychiatric inpatients, methods that could influence the factors related to interpersonal relationship would be effective.
- E. S. Shneidman. (1996). Why do we kill ourselves? In E. S. Shneidman (Ed), The suicide mind. New York : Oxford University Press. 3-26.
- S. L. Brown & A. D. Vinokur. (2003). The interplay among risk factors for suicidal ideation and suicide: The role of depression, poor health, and loved one' messages of support and criticism. American Journal of Community Psychology, 32(2), 131-141. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025659210192
- G. M. Slavich, A. O'Donovan & E. S. Epel. (2010). Kemeny, M. E. Black sheep get the blues: A psychobiological model of social rejection and depression. Neuroscience and Biohavioral Review, 35(1), 39-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2010.01.003
- L. Y. Abramson, G. I. Metalsky & I. B. Alloy. (1989). Hopelessness depression: A theory-based subtype of depression. Psychological Review, 96(2), 361-366.
- M. H. Jo. (2010). An evaluation of interpersonal psychological model of suicide in Korean Army, Korea University, B. A. thesis.
- S. Y. Kim (2013). Suicidal ideation of lesbians and gays in South Korea: Test of interpersonal psychological model. Korea University, B. A. thesis.
- K. A. Van Orden, T. K. Witte, K. H. Gordon,, T. W. Bender & Jr T. E. Joiner. (2008). Suicidal Desire and the Capability for Suicide: Tests of the Interpersonal-Psychological Theory of Suicidal Behavior Among Adults. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 76, 72-83. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.76.1.72
- M. S. Kim, I. S. Lee & C. S. Lee. (2007). The Validation Study 1 of korean BDI-2: In Female University Students Sample. Korean Journal fo Clinical Psychology, 26(4), 997-1014. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2007.26.4.011
- A. T. Beck, RA. Steer & W. F. Ranieri. (1988). Scale for Suicide Ideation: psychometric properties of a self-report version. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 44, 499-505. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(198807)44:4<499::AID-JCLP2270440404>3.0.CO;2-6
- H. S. Lee & J. H. Kuwn. (2009). Validation of the Beck Scale for Suicide Ideation with Korean University Students. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 28(4), 1155-1172. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2009.28.4.011
- R. M. Baron & D. A. Kenny. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategy and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psycholog, 97(1), 90-113.
- J. M. Ha, Y. U, Seol & M. G. Jwa. (2010). The Effect of Perceived Burdensomeness and Failed Belongingness to Youth's Suicidal Ideation. Social Science Research Review, 26(4), 223-246.
- E. Durkheim. (2002). Moral education, New York: Dover Publication, 15.
- J. H. Park & D. H. Wi. (1999). Clinical Analysis of the Suicidal Attempters Visiting Emergency Center. Journal of the Korean society of emergency medicine, 10(4), 568-578.
- A. Doshi, E. D. Boudreaux, N. Wang, A. J. Pelletler & C. A. Camargo. (2005). National study of US Emergency Department visits for attempted suicide and Self-inflicted injury, 1997-2001. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 422-426.
- J. H. Park. (2007). Clinical observation of acute drug intoxication patients in an emergency department, Chosun Univeristy, B. A. thesis.
- K. T. Moon. (2006). Influence of diseases and socioeconomic factors in suicide, Yonsei Univeristy, Ph. D, thesis.
- A. Doshi, E. D. Boudreaux, N. Wang, A. J. Pelletler & C. A. Camargo. (2005). National study of US Emergency Department visits for attempted suicide and Self-inflicted injury, 1997-2001. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 369-375.
- M. J. Marttunen, H. M. Aro & J. K. Lonnqvist. (1993). Precipitant stressors in adolescent suicide, Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 32(6), 1178-1183. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199311000-00010
- D. A. Brent. (1987). Correlates of the medical lethality of suicide attempts in children and adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 26(1), 87-91. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-198701000-00017
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2011). Actual situation survey of Mental Illness.
- Korean Association for Suicide Prevention. (2004). http://www.suicideprevention.or.kr.
- S. J. Ladely & K. R. Puskar. (1994). Adolescent suicide: Behaviors, factors psychiatric nursig interventions. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 14, 497-509.
- A. R. Choi & Y, S, Lee. (2011). The Mediating Effects of Cognitive Deconstruction on the Relation Between Suicidal Ideation, Life Stress, and School Type in High School Student. Korean Journal of Counseling And Psychotherapy, 23(3), 761-784.
- Y. M. Jae.. (2004). Suicide and Psychiatric Disorder. J Korean Soc Biol Ther Psychiatry, 10(1), 250-261.
- M. Y. Kim. (2013). An analysis on the suicide rates of Korea. Seoul National University, Ph.D. thesis.
- H. P. Lee. (2014). Relationship Between Social Exclusion and Suicidal Ideation, and Mediating Effect of Depression in Neurotic Outpatients. Korean Journal of Psychology: General, 33(1), 1-24.
- S. Balsis & J. A. Cully. (2008). Comparing depression diagnostic symptoms across younger and older adults. Aging and Mental Health, 12(6), 800-806. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860802428000
- T. E. Joiner. (2005). Why people die by suicide, Cambridge, MA, US: Harvard University Press, 276.
- K. J. Chu & S, Y. Lee. (2012). Relationships among Perceived Burdensomeness, Hopelessness, Depression, and Suicidal Ideation in Adolescents and Elders. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 25(3), 31-53.
- Statistics Korea. (2015). Annual Report on the causes of Death Statistics http"//www.nso.go.kr.
- S. P. Yook. (2002). The exploration of suicide related variables and the development of treatment program. Korean Univerisy, Ph. D. thesis.
- J. M. Ha, Y. J. Song & H. U. Nam (2012). The Effect of Perceived Burdensomeness and Failed Belongingness to Elderly Suicidal Ideation. Age Well-Being Research, 55, 65-84.
- S. Kidd, C. Henrich, K. Brookmeyer, L. Davidson, R. King & G. Shahar. (2006). The social context of adolescent suicide attempts: interactive effect of parent, peer, and school social relation. Suicide & Life-Threatening Behavior, 36(4), 357-363.