- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A case study of the person centered art therapy for improving sexual victimized adolescent's emotional stability, ego-resiliency, self-esteem
성폭력피해 청소년의 정서안정감, 자아탄력성, 자아존중감 향상을 위한 인간중심미술치료 사례연구
- Sug-Min, Lee (Wonkwang Univ. Graduate School of health and Complementary Medicine(Childcare Information Center)) ;
- Soon, Song (Wonkwang Univ. Dept. of Family and Child welfare(Institute for Better Living))
- Received : 2017.11.22
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
This study was to examine how Art Therapy affected improving Self-Esteem and Ego-Resiliency, Emotional Stability of Sexual Victimized Adolescent. The subject was the middle school student girl, 3th grades(15year old). She was suffered from sexual assault she was lack of self-confidence and suffered difficulty in daily life. Individual Art Therapy was performed once a week for 60 minutes and for 20 periods. Emotional Stability, Self-Resilience, Self-Esteem were performed pre-post test to verify the effectiveness of the program. The results obtained after Art Therapy were as follows. Firstly, The Self-Esteem score improved to post- 35 points from pre-16points. The Ego-Resiliency score improved to post-133points from pre- 63 points. The Emotional Stability score changed to a post-ex-post 96 score with a score of 110 as a positive effect. Secondly, the subject in the whole process of Art Therapy were formed intimacy with the researchers, able to heal painful scars while expressing inner feelings in a stable psychological state. Through the creative activities, she became confident and had positive thoughts about his future. Even though, this program focused to prevent PTSD. So the subjects needs to participate follow up program to treat depression, anxiety, nerveless be caused by sexual assault.
Person Centered Art Therapy;Sexual victimized Adolescent;Emotional Stability;Ego-Resiliency;Self-Esteem
Supported by : Wonkwang University
- Malchiodi, C. A.(1997), J. Y. Lee(2006) Art therapy for abused children. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fifth Edition (DSM-5).(2013) American Psychiatric Publishing. Washington, DC: London.
- Malchiodi, C. A. (1998). Using Drawing to Help Traumatized Children. Korea Journal of Art Therapy. 5(2), 1-17.
- K. S. Shin. (2011). Sexually Abused Children's Victimized Experience. Korean Journal of Psychology: General. 30(4), 1255-1287,
- Kramer, E. (1993). Art as therapy with children(2nd.). Chicago: Maganolia Street Publishers.
- Y. J. Shin & S. Y. Jun. (2015). The Effects of Art Therapy on PTSD. Symptoms, Anxiety and Self-Expression in Children with Traffic Accident PTSD. Korean Journal of Art Therapy, 22(3), 899-924,
- Y. A. Kim. (2009). A Case Study of Art Therapy for Reducing Depression and Anxiety in Sexual Abuse Victims. Korean Journal of Art Therapy, 16(1), 95-115,
- Y. H. Jun. (2007). An Art Therapy Case Study to Reduce the Post Traumatic Stress of a Child with Sexual Abuse. Korean Journal of Art Therapy, 14(4), 691-709.
- Y. O. Lee & W. S. Choi &, G. S. Kim.(2007). On Art Therapy to Improve Generalized Problem Behavior of Adolescents with Childhood Sexual Abuse. Korean Journal of Art Therapy, 14(1), 103-130,
- J. J. Cho. (2006). A Case Study of Art Therapy about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder(PTSD) and REBT of a Woman Victim Who had Experienced Sexual Abuse in Her Childhood. Korean Journal of Art Therapy. 13(2), 227-253.
- G. R. Choi & G. S. Kim. (2004). A Case Study on Art Therapy to Overcome the Crisis of Mentally Retarded Children with Sexual Abuse. Korean Journal of Art Therapy, 11(1), 101-122.
- D. Y. Kim. (1995). Malia Gong. The Effects of Art Therapy Through Children 's Mutual Storytelling on Children' s Maladjustment Behavior. Korean Journal of Art Therapy, 2(1), 111-142.
- J. J. Cho & D. Y. Kim.(1996). Counseling cases of children who have suffered rape through art therapy techniques. Korean Journal of Art Therapy. 3(2), 145-159,
- Carl R. Rogers. (1980). A way of Being, Hougton Mifflin company.
- T. G. Jang. (2006). A case study of art therapy to enhance self expression and sociability of preschool children. Youngnam University Master's Degree.
- Len Sperry & Jonathan Sperry. (2012). Case Conceptualization: Mastering this Competency with Ease and Confidence. Taylor & Francis Group LLC.
- T. Y. Han .(1998). Big Five Personality traits Test.
- Kiohnen., E .C..(1996). Conceptual analysis and measurement of the construct of ego-resiliency. Journal of personality and social psychology, 70(5), 1067-1079. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1687
- Rosenberg. (1965). Society and adolescent self-image. NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Burns, R. C.. (1982). Self-Growth in Families : Kinetic Family Drawings(K-F-D) Research and Application, New York: Brunner / Mazel.
- D. Y. Kim, & G. Malia. (1995). The Effects of Art Therapy Through Children's Mutual Storytelling on Children's Maladjustment Behavior. Korean Journal of Art Therapy, 2(1), 111-142.
- S. M. Lee, & S. Song. (2015). An effect of the group art-therapy on abused children's depression ,anxiety, self image-Children's Art Therapy Department of complex convergence perspectiv . Journal of Digital convergence Research, 13(12), 291-302.
- James P. Spradley .(1980). & J. Y. Shin(2006) Participant Observation. Seoul: Sigma Press. Korea,
- Y. S. Jeon, & S. B. Je.(2005). A case study on art therapy applied person-centered theory. Korean Journal of Art Therapy. 12(1), 235-253.
- S. Song. S. Min. Lee & Ok Jin Ji. (2015). An art therapy program for children with Trauma. WonKwang University Research Report on Joint Technology Development Project of Industry.
- S. H. Kim. (2008). A case study of art therapy to improve emotional stability and self-esteem of children with inbreeding rape. Korean Journal of Art Therapy, 15(3), 489-512.
- K. M. Baek .(2017). The Effects of Group Art Therapy on the Self-Esteem and Ego-Resilience of Abuse Children. Wonkwang Univ. Master's Degree.