- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of 12 Weeks of Combined Training on Body Composition, Health-Related Physical Fitness, and Bone Mineral Density of Obese and Osteoporotic Intellectual Disabilities-Case study
12주간 복합트레이닝이 비만과 골다공증 지적장애인의 신체조성, 건강체력, 골밀도에 미치는 영향-사례연구
- Han, Dong-Ki (Dept. of Adaptive Physical Education, Baek Seok University) ;
- Yang, Han-Nah (Dept. of Adaptive Physical Education, Baek Seok University) ;
- Seo, Jin-Hee (Dept. of Adaptive Physical Education, Baek Seok University)
- Received : 2017.10.20
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of exercise training on health-related physical fitness and osteoporosis after 12 weeks of combined training for adults with intellectual disabilities diagnosed with obesity and osteoporosis. The subjects conducted a combined training program consisting of aerobic exercise and strength training twice a week for 12 weeks. Body composition and bone mineral density were measured before exercise, 6, 12 weeks, and health-related physical fitness was measured before and after exercise. Body weight and body fat decreased after exercise and bone density increased after exercise compared to before exercise. Muscle strength, muscle endurance and flexibility were improved after exercise compared to before exercise. It was confirmed that the 12 week compound training increased the leg strength and improved the functions such as walking and running, and increased the health-related fitness and increased bone mineral density.
- World Health Organization. (2000). The Asia-Pacific perspective: Redefining obesity and its treatment. IOTF. Feb. Retrieved from.. http://www.wpro.who.int/entity/nutrition/documents/docs/Redefiningobesity.
- Leone, N., Courbon. D., Berr, C., Barberger-Gateau, P., Tzourio, C., Alperovitch, A., & Zureik, M. (2012). Abdominal obesity and late-onset asthma: cross-sectional and longitudinal results: the 3C Study. Obesity (Silver Spring) 20(3), 628-635. DOI : 10.1038/oby.2011.308. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2011.308
- Lobstein, T., Baur, L., & Uauy, R. (2004). Obesity in children and young people: a crisis in public health, Obesity reviews, 5(1), 4-104. DOI : 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2004.00133.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2004.00133.x
- Mercer, K. C. & Ekvall, S. W. (1992). Comparing the diets of adults with mental retardation who live in intermediate care facilities and in group homes, Journal of American Diet Association, 92(3), 356-358.
- C. S. Min. (2003). The study on characteristic of mental retardation definition in historical change process, Journal of Mental Retardation, 5, 173-187.
- K. Y. Park. (2003). Pulmonary respiration function and bone density of mentally handicapped students people with obesity and with no obesity, Journal of Adapted Physical Activity & Exercise, 11(2), 119-131.
- B. I. Min & D. C. Kim. (2009). The effect of aerobic exercise on cardiovascular risk factors in mental retarded obese women, Journal of Adapted Physical Activity, 17(2), 47-62. https://doi.org/10.17006/kjapa.2009.17.2.47
- American Dietetic Association. (2004). Position of the american dietetic association: Providing nutrition services for infants, children, and adults with developmental disabilities and special health care needs, Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 104(1), 97-107. DOI : 10.1016/j.jada.2003.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2003.11.002
- Michael, L. W., Ivan, B., Maire, P., Karrie, A, S. & Wai, L, A, F. (2007). A comprehensive guide to intellectual and developmental disabilities. Second Edition, Baltimore, London. Sydney : Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co. 607-615.
- Fernhall, B., Pitetti, K. H., Rimmer, J. H., McGubbin, J. W., Rintala, P., Millar, A. L, Kittredge, J., & Burkett, L. N. (1993). Cardiorespiratory capacity of individuals with mental retardation including Down syndrome, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 28(3), 366-371. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-199603000-00012
- Jobling, A. M. A. & Mon-Williams, M. (2000). Motor development in Down syndrome: A longitudinal perspective. In D. J. Weeks, R. Chua and D. Elliott (Ed.), Perceptual-Motor Behavior in Down Syndrome (pp. 225-248) Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Sherrill, W. W. (2004). MD/MBA Students: An Analysis of Medical Student Career Choice, Medical Education Online, 9(1), 4353. DOI : 10.3402/meo.v9i.4353. https://doi.org/10.3402/meo.v9i.4353
- Draheim, C. C., Wiliams, D. P., & McCubbin, J. A. (2002). Prevalence of physical inactivity and recommended physical activity in community based adults with mental retardation, Mental Retardation. 40(6), 436-444. DOI : 10.1352/0047-6765(2002)040<0436:POPIAR >2.0.CO;2 https://doi.org/10.1352/0047-6765(2002)040<0436:POPIAR>2.0.CO;2
- R. Y. Song., E. O. Lee., & I. O. Lee. (2002). Pre-post comparisons on physical symptoms, balance, muscle strength, physical functioning and depression in women with osteoarthritis after 12 weeks Tai-Chi exercise, Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 9(1), 28-39.
- H. M. Kim. (2015). The effect of psychomotor by the emotional behavior disorder(ADHD) children on the improvement of Self-esteem, Depression or Hyperactivity in terms of convergence. Journal of Digital Convergence. 13(11), 571-578. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.571 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.571
- Pollock, N. K., Bernard, P. J., Gutin, B., Davis, C. L., Zhu, H., & Dong, Y. (2011). Adolescent obesity, bone mass, and cardiometabolic risk factors, Journal of Pediatrics, 158(5), 727-734. DOI : 10.1016/j.jpeds.2010.11.052 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2010.11.052
- NIH Consensus Development Panel on Osteoporosis Prevention Diagnosis and Therapy. (2001). Osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis, and therapy, Journal of American Medical Association, 285(6), 785-795 DOI : 10.1001/jama.285.6.785 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.285.6.785
- N. H. Yeo., & I. B. Park. (2004). Development of remodeling exercise prescription program for treatment of obesity and osteoporosis in older women, Exercise Science, 13(3), 351-366.
- Ormsbee, M. J., Prado, C. M., Ilich, J. Z., Purcel, S., Siervo, M., Folsom, A., & Panton, L. (2014). Osteosarcopenic obesity: the role of bone, muscle and fat in health, Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle, 5(3), 183-192. DOI : 10.1007/s13539-014-0146-x. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13539-014-0146-x
- Binkley, N., & Buehring, B. (2009). Beyond FRAX: It's time to consider "sarco-osteopenia", Journal of Clinical Densitometry, 12(4), 413-416. DOI : 10.1016/j.jocd.2009.06.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocd.2009.06.004
- Ilich, J. Z., Kelly, O. J., Inglis, J. I., Panton, L. B., Duque, G., & Ormsbee, M. J. (2014). Interrelationship among muscle, fat, and bone: connecting the dots on cellular, hormonal, and whole body levels, Ageing Research Reviews, 15, 51-60. DOI : 10.1016/j.arr.2014.02.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2014.02.007
- Vainionpaa, A., Korpelainen, R., Vihriala, E., Rinta-Paavola, A., Leppaluoto, J., & Jamsa, T. (2006). Intensity of exercise is associated with bone density change in premenopausal women, Osteoporosis International, 17(3), 455-463. DOI : 10.1007/s00198-005-0005-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-005-0005-x
- Templeton, D. L., Kelly, A. S., Steinberger, J., & Dengel D. R. (2010). Lower relative bone mineral content in obese adolescents: role of non-weight bearing exercise, Pediatric Exercise Science, 22(4), 557-568. https://doi.org/10.1123/pes.22.4.557
- H. Y. Jang., & S. G. Choi. (2016). The effect of exercise intensity in complex training on leptin, growth hormone, IGF-1, body composition in middle school with intellectual disability through convergence. Journal of Digital Convergence. 14(10), 483-497. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.10.483 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.10.483
- Tolomio, S., Ermolao, A., Lalli, A., & Zaccaria, M. (2010). The effect of a multicomponent dual-modality exercise program targeting osteoporosis on bone health status and physical function capacity of postmenopausal women, Journal of Women Aging, 22(4), 241-254. DOI : 10.1080/08952841.2010.518866 https://doi.org/10.1080/08952841.2010.518866
- S. O. Lim. (2015). A Study on the Improvement of Personal Assistance Service for the Disabled in Korea: Focusing on the Grade Evaluation System, Social Welfare Policy, 42(4), 181-202. https://doi.org/10.15855/swp.2015.42.4.181
- Robinson, M. L., Winters-Stone, K., Gabel, K., & Dolny, D. (2007). Modifiable lifestyle factors affecting bone health using calcaneus quantitative ultrasound in adolescent girls, Osteoporosis International. 18(8), 1101-1107. DOI : 10.1007/s00198-007-0359-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-007-0359-3
- Arlot, M. E., Sornay-Rendu, E., Garnero, P., Vey-Marty, B., & Delmas, P. D. (1997). Apparent pre-and postmenopausal bone loss evaluated by DXA at different skeletal sites in woman: the OFELY cohort, Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 12(4), 683-690. DOI: 10.1359/jbmr.19126.96.36.1993 https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.19188.8.131.523
- I. C. Jeung., et al. (2007). Comparision and standardization of dual energy X-ray densitometry systems, Journal of Korean Socal Menopause, 13(3), 192-199.
- M. J. Lim., & B. J. Joeung. (2010). Norm-standard of health-related physical fitness test for students with intellectual disability, Korean Journal of Adapted Physical Activity, 18(4), 31-41. https://doi.org/10.17006/kjapa.2010.18.4.31
- Y. S. Kang. (2013). Study on physical activity level, health-related fitness, body composition, blood pressure, and blood glucose in adults with intellectual disability, Korean Journal of Adapted Physical Activity, 21(4), 13-26. https://doi.org/10.17006/kjapa.2013.21.4.13
- Y. S. Kang., & D. K. Han. (2010). Comparison of school time physical activity levels in students with and without intellectual disability, Korean Journal of Adapted Physical Activity, 18(4), 79-90.
- Y. C. Lee. (2014). The effects of dance and APE program on health-related physical fitness of students with intellectual disability, Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women, 28(2), 105-112.
- Ilich-Ernst, J., Brownbill, R. A., Ludemann, M. A., & Fu, R. (2002). Critical factors for bone health in women across the age span: how important is muscle mass?, Medscape women's health, 7(3), 2.
- Rosen, C. J., & Bouxsein, M. L. (2006). Mechanisms of disease: is osteoporosis the obesity of bone?, Nature Clinical Practice Rheumatology, 2(1), pp.35-43. DOI : 10.1038/ncprheum0070 https://doi.org/10.1038/ncprheum0070
- Kim, S., Jung, J., Jung, J. H., Kim, S. K., Kim, R. B., & Hahm, J. R. (2015). Risk factors of bone mass loss at the lumbar spine: a longitudinal study in healthy Korean pre-and perimenopausal women older than 40 years, PLoS One, 10(8), e0136283. DOI : 10.1371/journal.pone.0136283 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0136283
- Lanyon, L. E. (1992). Control of bone architecture by functional load bearing, Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 7(2), S369-S375. DOI : 10.1002/jbmr.5650071403 https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.5650071403
- Byeon, J. K., Jeong, S. J., Byeong, J. M., & Park, S. H. (2010). Effects of 12 weeks the combined exercise program on the bone mineral density and isokinetic function of knee joint in the elderly women, The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 49(2), 431-444.
- Snow, C. M., Shaw, J. M., Winter, K. M., & Witzke, K. A. (2000). Long-term exercise using weighted vests prevents hip bone loss in post-menopausal women, The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences., 55(9), M489-491. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/55.9.M489
- Vincent, K. R., & Braith, R. W. (2002). Resistance exercise and bone turnover in elderly men and women, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 34(1), 17-23. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200201000-00004
- Jeon K. T., & Han, M. K. (2011). Development of assessment standards for health-related physical fitness in persons with intellectual disability, Journal of Intellectual Disabilities. 13(4), 271-286.
- Lahtinen, U., Rintala, P., & Malin, A. (2007). Physical performance of individuls with intellectual disability: A 30-year follow-up, Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, 24(2), 125-143. https://doi.org/10.1123/apaq.24.2.125
- Park, M. S., Kim, M. W., Jeong, J. H., & Cha, N. H. (2017). Effects of a Physical Activity Program on Physical Fitness of Intellectually Disabled Persons, Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, 28(1), 88-97. DOI : 10.12799/jkachn.2017.28.1.88 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2017.28.1.88