- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Arousing the Need to Remove the 'Shadow Encroaching Phenomena on the Essence' in Ad Expression by Interdisciplinarily Applying Ethicality
윤리의식의 학제적 적용을 통한 광고 표현에서의 '그림자에 의한 실체의 잠식 현상' 제거 필요성 환기
- Kim, Chulho (Division of Media Contents, Cheongju University)
- 김철호 (청주대학교 미디어콘텐츠학부)
- Received : 2018.01.04
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The purpose of this research is to arouse attention to the importance of eliminating the 'Shadow Encroaching Phenomena on the Essence' in advertising expression by interdisciplinarily applying ethicality. This research shows that when advertising expression is planned and executed without enough consideration of ethicality, short-term effectiveness to reach goals can be increased, but it is easy to induce an unintended 'Shadows' Boomerang Phenomena'. This research also proposes that such processes arouse consumers' ethical defense mechanisms, possibly causing the 'Shadow Encroaching Phenomena' in the end. In conclusion, this research proposes the following. First, the pursuit of commercial profit in a capitalistic society must be done under the premise of securing a consensus of ethicality in a common society. Second, under the premise of an integrated process of education, sharing, execution, and confirmation of ethicality, companies can achieve both the micro-practical goal of profit pursuit and the macro-environmental goal of ecological sympathy.
- G. M. Zinkhan. (1994). Advertising Ethics: Emerging Methods and Trends. Journal of Advertising, 23(3), 1-4.
- M. W. Alexander & B. Judd, Jr. (1978). Do Nudes in Ads Enhance Brand Recall. Journal of Advertising Research, 18(1), 47-51.
- R. Peterson & R. Kevin. (1977). The female role in advertisements: Some experimental evidence. Journal of Marketing, 41, 59-73. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250235
- D. D. Muehling. (1987). An Investigation of Factors Underlying Attitude-toward-Advertising -in-General. Journal of Advertising, 16(1), 32-40. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1987.10673058
- J. S. Kim & C. H. Kim. (2017). Three Perspectives about Ethical Value in Advertising Business. International Journal of Journalism and Mass Communication, 4(1), 124. 2.
- C. H. Kim. (2008). The Influence of Ethical Intention and Value Expectation about Advertising on the Preference of Advertising Appeal Types. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 19(6), 215. (Modified).
- C. H. Kim. (2011). Ethical Intention on Advertising, Attitude toward Advertising, and Clients' Social Responsibility (CSR): Concentrated on Silver Business. Journal of Korean Ethics Study, 82, 213-238.
- S. J. Gould. (1994). Sexuality and ethics in Advertising: A Research Agenda and Policy Guideline Perspective. Journal of Advertising, 23(3), 73-80. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1994.10673452
- O. C. Ferrell & L. G. Gresham. (1985). A Contingency Framework for Understanding Ethical Decision Making in Marketing. Journal of Marketing, 49, 87-96. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251618
- B. Z. Erdogan, M. J. Baker, & S. Tagg. (2001). Selecting Celebrity Endorsers: The Practitioner's Perspective. Journal of Advertising Research, 41(3), 39-48. https://doi.org/10.2501/JAR-41-3-39-48
- C. Amos, G. Holmes, & D. Strutton. (2008). Exploring the relationship between celebrity endorser effects and advertising effectiveness: A quantitative synthesis of effect size. International Journal of Advertising, 27(2), 209-234. https://doi.org/10.1080/02650487.2008.11073052
- C. H. Kim. (2017). Understanding Advertising Planning with Interdisciplinary, Integrated Symbiology Studies, 20. Seoul : Hankyungsa.
- Hak Sik Lee, Kwang Ho Ahn, Yong Won Ha. (2010). Consumer Behavior: Marketing Strategic Approach. 5th ed, 27-36, Seoul : Bobmunsa.
- C. H. Kim. (2014). The Effect of Expected Perspective on the Role of Genne and Attitude toward Utilizing Genre in Broadcast Ad on the Liking of Broadcast Ad Genne. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(12), 491-506. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.491
- C. H. Kim. (2015). Shared Value Expectation on Lifelong Education. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(12), 325-336. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.325
- S. Y. Yu. (2004). The Effect of Advertising Using a Sports Star As An Endorser: Focus on Sports Star Image, The Product Type and Advertisement Visual. Journal of Media Economics & Culture, 2(2), 47-84.