- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Meta-analysis of the Effect of Planned Exercise on their Self Efficacy, Depression, Life Satisfaction
노인의 계획된 운동이 자아효능감, 우울, 생활만족도에 미치는 영향의 메타분석
- Chang, Bong-Woo (Dept. Physical Education, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Jang, Tae-Yeong (Dept. Physical Education, Cheongju educational University)
- Received : 2017.12.12
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The aim of this study was to survey the effects of planned exercise over the age of 65 in male and female with regard to their self-efficacy, depression, and life satisfaction, based on the literatures of 14 master and doctoral dissertations published between 2004 and 2014. The subjects with program exercise habit were chosen considering the generalization of the physical characteristics of elderly subjects. The exercise duration was 50 minutes for 3 times a week for 12 to 24 weeks. Exercise intensity was an optimal aerobic exercise plan that the subjects themselves could perform. The average effect size of self-efficacy was 0.793 (26.1% increased), depression was -0.91(31.9% decreased), and life satisfaction was 1.506 (43.4% increased). These indicate that post-exercise psychological variables had a positive effect on self-efficacy and life satisfaction by lowering depression after regular exercise. Therefore, it is necessary to increase regular exercise participation and to provide sustainable scientific information for the aged and healthy living of the elderly.
Planned exercise;Self efficacy;Depression;Satisfaction level;Meta-analysis
- T. Y. Jang, B. W. Chang (2010), A Practical Approach to Utilize Meta-Analysis in Physical Education Research, The Korean Society for the Study of Physical Education, 2010(6), 107-118
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences(2rded.)(pp.25), Hillsdale, NY : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- E. J. Lee, (2010), The effect of fall prevention complex exercise program on fitness and self-efficacy, Seoul Women's University Graduate School. Seoul.
- B. D. Seo, (2009), The Effects of Group Movement Training on Psychophysiological Variables and the Range of Motion in the Institutionalized Elderly, Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, .20(4), 403-411
- S. J. Kim, (2007), The Effect of Tai Chi Exercise on the Wellness in the Elderly Who Use Senior Citizen's Club, Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Environment system, Korean Society of Environmental Environment system , 14(3), 229-238.
- E. Y. Kim, K. J. Jeon, (2000), The Effects of Excercise Program on Cognitive Perception, Health Promotion Activity and Life Satisfaction of Elderly in Senior Citizen's Center, Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 11(1), 80-89.
- M. K. Shin, (2008), Effects of the tailored exercise program on the cognitive function, depression, perceived health status and physical strength in seniors, Ewha Womans University Graduate School, Seoul.
- S. H. Moon, (2008), The development and applicationof dance program for the old depression, Kookmin University Graduate School, Seoul.
- H. K. Hwang, (2007), The Effect of Exercise Program on Depression, Self-esteem and Life Satisfaction of the Elderly, Kyeongnam University Graduate School of Public Administration, Changwon.
- S. A. Sung, (2004), The Effects of exercise program on health related fitness and depression of low-income elderly women, Ewha Womans University Graduate School. Seoul.
- H. H. Son, J. H. Lee, (2006), The Effect of the Walking Exercise on Physiological index, Physical Fitness, Self Esteem, Depression and Life Satisfaction in the Institutionalized Elderly Women, Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 17(1), 1533-1536.
- Y. J. Jung, J. K. Park, K. W. Yoo, (2005), The Effects of Dance Sports Program on Self Efficacy, Life Satisfaction, Bony metabolism in the Elderly Women, Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women, 19(5), 1-21.
- E. Y. Park, (2004), The Effects Mixed Exercise Programs on the Physical Fitness and Depression in the Elderly, Ewha Womans University Graduate School, Seoul.
- T. Y. Jang, (2012), A Meta-Analysis of the Effects of Exercise Programs in the Elementary School Students and Elderly People, Chungbuk National University Graduate School, Cheongju.
- Rosenthal, R., (1991), Meta-Analytic Procedures for Social Research(2thEd)(pp.15-17), London : The International Professional Publishers.