- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Nursing Practice Environment and Positive Psychological Capital in Clinical Nurses on Turnover Intention
임상간호사의 간호근무환경과 긍정심리자본이 이직의도에 미치는 효과
- Jung, Mi-Ra (Department of Nursing, Hanyeong College University) ;
- Jeong, Eun (Department of Nursing, Gwangyang Health Sciences University)
- Received : 2017.12.28
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The purpose of this study was to examine influences on turnover intention in the clinical nurses. The data were collected from 193 nurses working in the three general hospital located Y city. The data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, T-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and stepwise multiple regression. The result of the stepwise multiple regression indicates the nursing practice environment, positive psychological capital and clinical career predict 41.8% (F=7.35, p<.001) of turnover intention. Therefore, it is necessary to develop changing the nursing practice environment and positive psychological capital strategy program for decrease turnover intention in clinical nurses.
- K. S. Kim & Y. H. Han. (2013). A study on intention to quit and job overload, role ambiguity, burn out among nurses in general hospital. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 22(2), 121-129. DOI : 10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.2.121 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.2.121
- Y. H. Sung, M. S. Hwang, K. S. Kim & N. M. Chun. (2010). Influence of clinical nurse specialists emotional intelligence on their organizational commitment and turnover intention. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(3), 259-266. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.259
- Korean Health and Medical Worker's Union. (2014). 2014 Korean health and medical workers survey. KHMU(Online). http://bogun.nodong.org/xe/
- Korean Hospital Nurses Association. (2016). Hospital nurses staffing state survey 2016. Seoul : Korean Hospital Nurses Association.
- Y. J. Lee & K. B. Kim. (2008). Experiences of nurse turnover. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 38(2), 248-257. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.248
- E. H. Cho, M. N. Choi, E. Y. Kim, I. Y. Yoo, N & J. Lee. (2011). Construct validity and reliability of the korean version of the practice environment scale of nursing work index for korean nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(3), 325-332. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.325 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.325
- H. C. Klopper, S. K. Coetzee, R. Pretorius & P. Bester. (2012). Practice environment, job satisfaction and burnout of critical care nurses in South Africa. Journal of Nursing Management, 20(5), 685-695. DOI : 10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01350.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01350.x
- J. O. Kwon & E. Y. Kim. (2012). Impact of unit-level nurse practice environment on nurse turnover intention in the small and medium sized hospitals. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 18(4), 414-423. DOI : 10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.414 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.414
- E. T. Lake & C. R. Friese. (2006). Variations in nursing practice environments: relation to staffing and hospital characteristics. Nursing Research, 55(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200601000-00001
- C. R. Friese, R. Xia, A. Ghaferi, J. D. Birkmeyer & M. Banerjee. (2015). Hospitals in 'Magnet' program show better patient outcomes on mortality measures compared to non-'Magnet' hospital. Health Affairs, 34(6), 986-992. DOI : 10.1377/hlthaff.2014.0793 https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2014.0793
- H. J. Ko. (2010). Nurse work environments, job satisfaction and intention to leave among nurses. Doctoral dissertation. Hanyang National University, Seoul.
- S. N. Lee & J. A. Kim. (2017). Concept analysis of positive psychological capital. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 23(2), 181-190. DOI : 10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.181 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.181
- F. Luthans, B. J. Avolio, J. B. Avey & S. M. Norman. (2007). Positive psychological capital: measurement and relationship with performance and satisfaction. Personnel Psychology, 60(3), 541-572. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x
- J. Kim. (2017). Impact of psychological capital and engagement on turnover intention among newly graduated registered nurses in general hospitals. Doctoral dissertation. Chosun National University, Gwangju.
- H. J. Kim & D. H. Park. (2016). The effects of workplace bullying on turnover intention in hospital nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(1), 241-252. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.241 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.241
- H. I. Park & K. H. Lee. (2016). The effects of social intelligence and burnout on turnover intention in nurses : an exploratory study. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(4), 325-336. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.325 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.325
- E. T. Lake. (2002). Development of the practice environment scale of the nursing work index. Research in Nursing & Health, 25(3), 176-188. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.10032
- E. H. Cho, M. N. Choi, E. Y. Kim, I. Y. Yoo & N. J. Lee. (2011). Construct validity and reliability of the korean version of the practice environment scale of nursing work index for korean nurses. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 41(3), 325-332. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.325 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.325
- Y. D. Choi. (2009). A study on the antecedents and outcomes of the employee's positive psychological capital in organization. Doctoral dissertation. Sogang National University, Seoul.
- E. E. Lawler. (1983). Satisfaction and behavior. New York : McGraw-Hill.
- H. S. Park. (2005). Relationship between perceived nursing care role orientation, job characteristics and turnover among nurses. Doctoral dissertation. Yonsei National University, Seoul.
- E. J. Choi, J. H. Hwang & I. S. Jang. (2017). Effects of nursing practice environment and self-esteem on critical thinking disposition among clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 23(2), 161-169. DOI : 10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.161 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.161
- S. K. Yang & E. Jeong. (2017). Convergence effects of positive psychological capital and self-leadership in clinical nurses on job satisfaction. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(6), 329-337. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.6.329 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.329
- I. S. Kim, R. B. Seo, B. N. Kim & A. R. Min. (2015). The effects of positive psychological capital, organizational commitment, customer orientation in clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 21(1), 10-19. DOI : 10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.10 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.10
- F. Luthans, C. M. Yousse-Morganf & B. J. Avolio. (2015). Psychological capital and beyond. New York : Oxford University Press.
- C. S. Carver & M. F. Scheier. (2002). The hopeful optimism. Psychology Inquiry, 13(4), 288-290.
- M. F. Scheier, C. S. Carver & M. W. Bridges. (1994). Distinguishing optimism from neuroticism and trait anxiety, self-mastery, and self-esteem: a reevaluation of the life orientation test. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 67(6), 1063-1078. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- Y. S. Hwang & K. H. Kang. (2014). Factors influencing nurse turnover intention in small and medium sized hospitals in the metropolitan area. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 20(5), 576-586. DOI : 10.11111/jkana.2014.20.5.576 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.5.576
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. (2015). Small and medium-sized hospitals management service and policy development annual reports. Cheongju : Korea Health Industry Development Institute.
- K. N. Kang. (2012). Factors influencing turnover intention of nurses in small-medium sized hospitals. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 18(2), 155-165. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.155
- S. B. Im, M. K. Cho & M. L. Heo. (2013). Factors to affect turnover intention of nurse: focusing on personal, situational and interpersonal relation variables. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 22(4), 314-323. DOI : 10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.4.314 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.4.314
- F. Luthans & C. M. Youssef-Morgan. (2007). Positive organizational behavior in the workplace: the impact of hope, optimism, and resiliency. Journal of Management, 33(5), 774-800. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206307305562
- Y. J. Lee & G. A. Seomun. (2016). Impact of unit-level nurse practice environment on nurse turnover intention. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(6), 355-362. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.355 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.355
- M. Baernholdt & B. Mark. (2009). The nurse work environment, job satisfaction and turnover rates in rural and urban nursing units. Journal of Nursing Management, 17(8), 994-1001. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.01027.x