- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing on Problem Drinking in Foreign Workers for Drinking Motives, Acculturative Stress
외국인 근로자의 음주동기, 문화적응 스트레스가 문제음주에 미치는 영향
- Ha, Yeong-Mi (College of Nursing & Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Park, Ki-Soo (Department of Preventive Medicine & Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Cho, Jeong-Eui (Baik Medical Center)
- Received : 2017.12.04
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The purpose of this study was to examine relationships among drinking motives, acculturative stress and problem drinking, and then to identify the influencing factors of problem drinking in foreign workers. A total of 120 foreign workers recruited from two shipyards in G city. Self-reported questionnaire survey was conducted from October to December, 2016. As a result, a rate of problem drinking in foreign workers was 39.2%. According to the multiple regression analysis, their problem drinking was significantly influenced by social motives (
Motives;Problem drinking;Acculturative stress;Alcohol;Foreign worker
- I. Y. Cho. (2010). The effects of acculturative stress in foreign migrant workers on their anxiety speaking korean. Unpublished master's thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul.
- O. S. Yeo. (2014). A study on the health reliability and mental health of foreign workers focused on the nfluence of health and environmental factors Doctoral dissertation. Dongguk University, Seoul.
- O. S. Yeo. (2004). A study on the medical service increment for the foreign laborers. Unpublished master's thesis. Dongguk University, Seoul.
- J. H. Lee. (2015). Drinking and determinants of foreign workers in korea. Journal of Korean Alcohol Science, 16(1), 29-40. https://doi.org/10.15524/KSAS.2015.16.1.029
- D. M. Kim. (2016). Analysis on the effects of the korean language ability level, social support and acculturative stress of migrant laborers on life satisfaction: Focus on the mediating effects of hope. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(4), 89-100. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.89 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.89
- D. A. Dawson, B. F. Grant & W. J. Ruan. (2005). The association between stress and drinking: modifying effects of gender and vulnerability. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 40(5), 453-460. DOI : 10.1093/alcalc/agh176 https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agh176
- I. Y. Yoo, J. Y. Choi & M. H. Jung. (2004). Level of problem drinking, health status and perception of need for moderate drinking by male blue-collar workers in steel factory. Korean J Occup Environ Med, 16(4), 467-474.
- I. C. Roh, M. H. Seo & H. R. Kim. (1997). Economic and social costs of drinking and policy tasks. Health and Social Welfare Review, 1-116.
- J. H. Ku, J. S. Kim, J. H. Choi & Y. B. Kim. (1999). Understanding of Industrial Welfare Studies. Seoul : HongIkjae.
- E. K. Lee. (2015). Factors related to problem drinking of male workers according to occupational classes. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(1), 375-382. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.1.375 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.1.375
- J. S. Kim, J. K. Lee & S. K. Chung. (2013). Meta-analysis of factors related to problem drinking. Journal of Korean Alcohol Science, 14(2), 1-18.
- Ministry of Justice. (2016). Korea Immigration Service Statistics. http://www.moj.go.kr/doc_html/attach/moj/f2017// 20170621287244_2_1.pdf.files/PDFBook.html.
- W. W. Shin. (2010). A study on the influence of psychological vulnerability factors on alcohol problems: focus on the mediating effect of drinking motives. Journal of Social Science, 21(3), 81-105.
- H. W. Shin. (1998). The effects of personality and drinking motivation on drinking problems. Doctoraldissertation. Korea University, Seoul.
- Y. M. Ha & M. R. Jung. (2015). Factors associated with problem drinking in korean male employees for drinking motivation, job stress, and srinking refusal self-efficacy. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 24(1), 48-56. DOI : 10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.1.48 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.1.48
- H. J. Kim. (2013). A study on social exclusion of foreign workers: Focused on gyeongsan industrial complex cases. Unpublished master's thesis. Kyungpook National University, Daegu.
- J. D. Hovey & C. G. Magana. (2002). Psychosocial predictors of anxiety among immigrant mexican migrant farmworkers: implications for prevention and treatment. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 8(3), 274-289. DOI : 10.1037/1099-9809.8.3.274 https://doi.org/10.1037/1099-9809.8.3.274
- J. W. Berry. (2005). Acculturation: living successfully in two cultures. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 29(6), 697-712. DOI : 10.1016/j.ijintrel.2005.07.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijintrel.2005.07.013
- S. H. Lee, Y. J. Lee, S. Y. Kim & S. J. Kim. (2009). Social support and acculturative stress in migrant workers. J Korean Acad Nurs, 39(6), 899-910. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.899 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.899
- D. Lin et al. (2005). Alcohol intoxication and sexual risk behaviors among rural-to-urban migrants in china. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 97, 103-112.
- M. D. Kim & C. H. Lee. (2016). A study on relevance between workers' job characteristics and organizational effectiveness by job stress in small & medium sized enterprises. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(5), 207-215. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.207 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.207
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, & A. Buchner. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods, 41(4), 1149-1160. DOI : 10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- B. O. Lee, C. H. Lee, P. G. Lee, M. J. Choi & K. Namkoong. (2000). Development of korean version of alcohol use disorders identification test (AUDIT-K) its reliability and validity. Journal of Korean Academy Addiction Psychiatry, 4(2), 83-92.
- H. W. Shin & S. Y. Han. (1999). A preliminary study for developing drinking motives scale. Korean Journal of Psychology: Social Issuses, 5(1), 77-92.
- D. S. Sandhu & B. R. Asrabadi. (1994). Development of acculturative stress scale for international student: promilitary findings. Psychological Reports. 75, 435-448. DOI : 10.2466/pr0.19220.127.116.115 https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1918.104.22.1685
- B. H. Lee et al. (2014). Differences in sub-scores of the korean versions of alcohol use disorders identification test (AUDIT-K) according to at-risk drinking in a general male population. Journal of Korean academy of addiction psychiatry, 18(2), 80-88.
- J. Jekarl, K. K. Kim & J. T. Lee. (2010). Structural relationship between drinker's characteristics, work environment, and alcohol problems among employee. Korean Association of Health and Medical Sociology, 28, 5-31.
- S. H. Choi. (2007). Alcohol-drinking state and determination of problem and binge drinking among the southwest asian migrant workers. Journal of Korean Alcohol Science, 8(1), 49-64.
- J. G. Go. (2009). Actural health care conditions of foreign workers. Unpublished master's thesis. Daegu Haany University, Daegu.
- O. Kim & H. O. Jeon. (2012). Relations of drinking motives and alcohol consumption in korean male office workers. Psychological Reports: Disability & Trauma, 111(3), 963-970. DOI : 10.2466/18.06.13.PR0.111.6.963-970 https://doi.org/10.2466/18.06.13.PR0.111.6.963-970
- D. S. Kim & J. H. Rhee. (2014). A study on the mediating effects of alcohol drinking expectancies of employee between drinking motives and drinking culture at the workplace. Korean Aademy of Organization and Management, 38(4), 1-26.
- J. H. Kim & B. M. Kim. (2017). Factors influencing acculturative stress of migrant workers. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(8), 277-287. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.8.277 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.8.277
- E. H. Cho. (2011). The relationship between alcohol expectancies, sensation seeking, and problem drinking. Unpublished master's thesis. Sahmyook University, Seoul.
- H. W. Shin. (1999). The relationship between drinking motives and drinking problems. Korean Journal of Psychology: Social Issuses, 5(1), 93-109.
- S. H. Lee. (2012). Acculturative stress, depression and drinking problems of korean international students in the united states. Journal Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, 23(4), 366-375. DOI : 10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.4.366 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.4.366