- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development and Effects of Simulation Educational Program for Nursing Students
간호대학생들을 위한 시뮬레이션 교육프로그램 개발 및 적용효과
- Im, Kyung Ja (College of Nursing, Jesus University) ;
- Yang, Bok Sun (College of Nursing, Jesus University) ;
- Kim, Yoon Lee (Department of Nursing, Hanil University and Presbyterian Theological Seminary)
- Received : 2017.09.11
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
Purpose. This study was conducted to identify effects of the high fidelity simulation for nursing students. Methods. A non-equivalent quasi-experimental design was used to experimental group (N=43) and control group (N=39) for 8 weeks, 5 times from September 26 to November 9, 2013. Clinical performance was measured by using standardized patients. Critical thinking was measured through the questionnaire and clinical judgement was measured through observation by Lasater's rubric. Results. Clinical performance (F=211.15, p<.001), critical thinking (t=3.00, p<.004) and clinical judgement (t=7.60, p<.001) were significantly higher in experimental group with simulation education program than control group. Conclusion. Simulation education program were effective to improve clinical performance, critical thinking disposition and clinical judgement for nursing students.
Simulation;Clinical performance;Critical thinking;Clinical judgement;Nursing students
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. (May 29, 2017). Certification Criteria and handbook. Retrieved from http://kabone.or.kr/kabon02/index03_02.ph.
- Kim, Y. H., & Jang, K. S. (2011). Effect of a simulation-based education on cardio-pulmonary emergency care knowledge, clinical performance ability and problem solving process in new nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(2), 245-255. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.245 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.245
- E. J. Kim (2013). Development and effects of a simulation learning program for novice nurses in special dept. Doctoral dissertation. Chosun University, Gwangju.
- Reilly, A., & Spratt, C. (2007). The perceptions of undergraduate student nurses of high-fidelity simulation-based learning: A case report from the University of Tasmania. Nurse Education Today, 27(6), 542-550. DOI : 10.1016/j.nedt.2006.08.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2006.08.015
- Chae, H. J. (2015). The needs and effects of convergence-based simulation practice for obstetrical nursing. Journal of digital convergence, 13(9), 377-386. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.377 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.377
- Decker, S., Sportsman, S., Puetz, L., & Billing, L. (2008). The evolution of simulation and its contribution to competency. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 39(2), 74-80. DOI : 10.3928/00220124-20080201-06 https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20080201-06
- Ryoo, E. N., Ha, E. H., & Cho, J. Y. (2013). Comparison of learning effects using high-fidelity and multi-mode simulation: An application of emergency care for a patient with cardiac arrest. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 43(2), 185-193. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2013.43.185 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.185
- Moon, M. Y. (2017). Effects of Convergence-based Integrated simulation Practice program on the Clinical decision making, Problem solving process, Clinical competence and Confidence of core fundamental nursing skill performance for Nursing Students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(7), 271-284.2017 DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.7.271 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.7.271
- Kim, Y. H. (2010). Effect of a Simulation-based Education on Cardio-pulmonary Emergency Care Knowledge, Clinical Performance Ability and Problem Solving Process Among New Nurses. Doctoral dissertation. Chonnam University, Gwangju.
- Gark, G. H. (2013). Development and Application of Medication Error Preventive Simulation Education for Nursing Students. Doctoral dissertation. Cathlic University, Seoul.
- Shinnick, M. A., Woo, M., Horwich, T. B., & Steadman, R. (2011). Debriefing: the most important component in simulation?. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 7(30), e105-e111. DOI : 10.1016/j.ecns.2010.11.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2010.11.005
- Kim, D. H., Lee, Y., Hwang, M. S., Park, J. H., Kim, H. S., & Cha, H. G. (2012). Effects of a simulation-based integrated clinical practice program (SICPP) on the problem solving process, clinical competence and critical thinking in a nursing student. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 18(3), 499-509. DOI : 10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.3.499 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.3.499
- Hur, H. K., & Park, S. M. (2012). Effects of simulation based education, for emergency care of patients with dyspnea, on knowledge and performance confidence of nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 18(1), 111-119. DOI : 10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.111 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.111
- Victor-Chmil, J., & Larew, C. (2013). Psychometric properties of the Lasater clinical judgment rubric. International journal of nursing education scholarship, 10(1), 45-52. DOI : 10.1515/ijnes-2012-0030 https://doi.org/10.1515/ijnes-2012-0030
- Tanner, C. A. (2006). Thinking like a nurse: A research-based Model of clinical judgment in nursing. Journal of Nursing Education, 45(6), 204-211.
- Davis, A. H., & Kimble, L. P. (2011). Human patient simulation evaluation rubrics for nursing education: Measuring the essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice. Journal of Nursing Education, 50(11), 605-611. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20110715-01
- Johnson, E. A., Lasater, K., Hodson-Carlton, K., Siktberg, S., Sideras, S. & Dillard, N. (2012). Geriatrics in simulation: Role modeling and clinical judgment effect. Nursing Education Perspectives, 33(3), 176-180. DOI : 10.5480/1536-5026-33.3.176 . https://doi.org/10.5480/1536-5026-33.3.176
- Yang, J. J. (2008). Development and evaluation of a simulation-based education course for nursing students. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 20(4), 548-560.
- Lasater, K. (2007). High-fidelity simulation and the development of clinical judgment: Student's experiences. The Journal of Nursing Education. 46(6), 269-276.
- Diefenbeck, C. A., Plowfield, L. A., & Herrman, J. W. (2006). Clinical immersion: A residency model for nursing education. Nursing Education Perspectives, 27(2), 72-79. ww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16733969
- Hertel JP, Millis BJ. (2002). Using simulation to promote learning in higher education: on intruduction. Stylus Publishing, LLC.. www.oalib.com/references/14807409
- Lee, W. S., & Kim, M. (2011). Effects and adequacy of high-fidelity simulation-based training for obstetrical nursing. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(4), 433-443. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.433 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.433
- Choi, E. H., Kwon, K. N., & Lee, E. J. (2013). Achievements of nursing students among simulation and traditional education of bleeding patients. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(1), 52-59. DOI : 10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.1.52 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.1.52
- Ha, Y. K., & Koh, C. K. (2012). The Effects of Mechanical Ventilation Simulation on the Clinical Judgment and Self-confidence of Nursing Students. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 9(2), 119-126.
- Shin, H., Ma, H., Park, J., Ji, E. S., & Kim, D. H. (2015). The effect of simulation courseware on critical thinking in undergraduate nursing students: Multi-site pre-post study. Nurse education today, 35(4), 537-542. DOI : 10.1016/j.nedt.2014.12.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.12.004
- Alinier, G., Hunt, B., Gordon, R., & Harwood, C. (2006). Effectiveness of intermediate‐fidelity simulation training technology in undergraduate nursing education. Journal of advanced nursing, 54(3), 359-369. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03810.x
- Scherer, Y. K., Bruce, S. A., Graves, B. T., & Erdley, W. S. (2003). Acute care nurse practitioner education enhancing performance through the use of clinical simulation. AACN Advanced Critical Care, 14(3), 331-341.
- Kyle, R. R., & Murray, W. B. (2008). Clinical simulation: Operation, Engineering and management. Academic Press: Boston.
- Gates, M. G., Parr, M. B., & Hughen, J. E. (2012). Enhancing nursing knowledge using high-fidelity simulation. Journal of Nursing Education, 51(1), 9-15. DOI : 10.3928/01484834-20111116-01 https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20111116-01
- Choi, J. Y. (2011). Clinical Performance Examination for Nursing Students: 2006-2009. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 17(2), 87-95.
- Kim, J. M., & Choi, Y. S. (2015). Effect of practice education using the simulator, critical thinking, problem solving ability and nursing process confidence of nursing students. Journal of digital Convergence, 13(4), 263-270. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.263 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.263
- Lasater, K. (2011). Clinical judgment: The last frontier for evaluation. Nurse Education in Practice, 11(2), 86-92. DOI : 10.1016/j.nepr.2010.11.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2010.11.013
- Blum, C. A., Borglund, S., & Parcells, D. (2010). High-fidelity nursing simulation: Impact on student self-confidence and clinical competence. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 7(1), 1-18. DOI : 10.2202/1548-923X.2035 https://doi.org/10.2202/1548-923X.2035
- Kim, H. R. (2013). The Proposed Rubrics Simulation Education Effect on Nursing Student's Academic Achievement. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(4), 487-497. DOI : 10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.487 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.487