- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of China's Arctic Route Development associated with the Belt and Road initiative
중국의 북극항로 개발사업, 일도(一道)의 특징과 시사점
- Song, Min-Geun (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University)
- 송민근 (인천대학교 동북아물류대학원)
- Received : 2017.10.20
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The potential competitiveness for new routes and resources has been theoretically discussed with regards to the Arctic route but is gradually becoming a reality as global warming increases. In June of 2017, China officially included the Northern Sea Route (NSR) as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), and major countries' interests in the NSR are greatly expanding. This paper presents the general characteristics of the NSR, NSR development in China, the expected relationship between the NSR and the BRI, and this relationship's implications for Korea. The NSR has poor facilities and information infrastructure and is not economically viable for commercial navigation due to its high-cost conditions compared to competitive routes. In order to explore the Arctic and develop the NSR, large-scale projects must be funded over a long period of time; this has caused major difficulties in development. However, as the NSR is included in the BRI, there could be an opportunity to utilize BRI funds, such as Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB). Further, China's NSR development and the NSR development of partner countries, such as Korea, should be further stimulated. As Korea has strengths in terms of its shipbuilding technology and geographical location, which is located at the core of the NSR, Korea would have chances to expand the economic cooperation and business opportunities with China and Russia.
Arctic;Northern Sea Route;Russia;SWOT;the Belt and Road;China
- L. Jakobson & N. Melvin. (2016). The New Arctic Governance. SIPRI Research Reports, 25, 1-216.
- D. K. Ryoo & H. S. Nam. (2014). The Analysis of Future Promising Industries of Busan and Marine Policy in the Era of the Northern Sea Route. Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, 30(1), 175-194.
- S. K. Yun. (2014). A Comparison on Economy of Ship- Speed Changes at the Northern Sea Route. Korea trade review, 39(1), 213-237.
- Y. H. Woo, W. I. Lee & S. G. Kim. (2017). The Formation of Cross Border Competition and Regional Cooperation in the Arctic Ocean: Recent Trends and Implications of the Arctic Governance. The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, 21(1), 85-113. https://doi.org/10.20484/klog.21.1.4
- H. Schoyen & S. Brathen. (2011). The Northern Sea Route versus the Suez Canal: Cases from bulk shipping, Journal of Transport Geography, 19, 977-983. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2011.03.003
- C. H. Han. (2011). Economic Feasibility on the Northern Sea Route: The Case of Container Shipping. 27(4), 583-605.
- M. Furuichi & N. Otsuka. (2013, Oct). Cost Analysis of the Northern Sea Route(NSR) and the Conventional Route Shipping. IAME 2013 Conference, Pusan.
- M. Liu & K. Kronbak. (2010). The potential economic viability of using the Northern Sea Route (NSR) as an alternative route between Asia and Europe. Journal of Transport Geography, 18, 434-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2009.08.004
- J. Verny & C. Grigentin. (2009). Container shipping on the Northern Sea Route. International Journal of Production Economics, 122, 107-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.03.018
- A. R. Baek, S. H. Lee & C. H. Joh. (2016). The Possibility and Analysis for Northern Sea Route. Journal of climate research, 11(2), 121-130. https://doi.org/10.14383/cri.2016.11.2.121
- S. Somanathan, P. Flynn & J. Szymanski. (2009). The Northwest Passage: A simulation. Transportation Research Part A, 43, 127-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trb.2008.06.003
- J. J. Kim, K. K. Lee & J. H. Jo. (2016). A Study on Multi-modal Transport Logistics Network Buildup of Harbors in Gangwon in the North Pole Route Era. Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, 32(4), 109-126.
- National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (2015). China's One Belt One Road Strategy: The New Financial Institutions and India's Options. New Delhi: A. Chhibber.
- CSIS(Center for strategic and international studies). (2016). The Emerging Political Economy of OBOR - The Challenges of Promoting Connectivity in Central Asia and Beyond. Washington, D.C: A. Cooley.
- M. G. Song, Y. D. Cha & G. T. Yeo. (2016). An Analysis of the 'One Belt, One Road' Research Trend Using Social Network Analysis. The Journal of shipping and logistics, 32(2), 387-413.
- Y. S. Choo. (2015). The Prospect of the China's 'One Belt, One Road' Strategy in Southeast Asia. THE JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, 18(2), 169-190. https://doi.org/10.15235/jir.2015.12.18.2.169
- C. B. Lee. (2017). A Study on Classification of the Development of Chinese Dry Ports under the 'One Belt One Road' Initiative. The Journal of Korea Research Society for Customs, 18(3), 173-194.
- Wikipedia. (2017, OCT). Northern Sea Route(NSR). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Sea_Route.
- The Norden Association. (2008). The Northern Sea Route, Swedish. Norden Associationʼs Yearbook, Stockholm: C. L. Ragner.
- J. M. Song. (2012). The current use of the Northern Sea Routes and the commercialization policy ofﾠRussia. Journal of Korea Maritime Institute, 2(3), 106-121.
- K. Lim, & M. H. Kim. (2014). A SWOT Analysis of Design Elements of Korean MOOCs, Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(6), 615-624. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.615
- H. R. Kim & H. S. Jang. (2015). Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats Analysis of Korea Construction Companies in the Vietnam Market. Journal of the architectural institute of Korea Structure & Construction, 31(5), 87-96. https://doi.org/10.5659/JAIK_SC.2015.31.5.87
- J. D. Song & C. W. Lee. (2017). Chinese Online Circulation Market and Market Approaching Strategy. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(8), 477-487. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.477
- D. H. Suh, M. G. Kang & S. Y. Lee. (2017). A Seach for Methods of Development of Marine Leisure Sport through the SWOT Analysis. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(1), 537-546. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.537
- B. K. Jeong, J. H. Lim & J. H. Chung. (2013). Policy Design for Value Added Enhancement of Visual Content Industry. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 11(12), 697-708.
- J. M. Lee & M. H. Rim. (2013). Derivation of Creative SW HRD Policy Using Analytic Hierarchy Process. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 11(10), 95-102.
- H. G. Jeon & K. K. Seo. (2012). An Environment Analysis and Competition Improvement Strategy of the Cleaning Robot Market under Korea-US FTA. Journal of Digital Convergence, 10(10), 13-18. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.10.013
- Northern Sea Route(NSR): Blow to Northern Sea Route as voyages of two ice breakers are broken by ice. (2017. 01. 24), The Siberian Times.
- Map of Northern Sea Route(NSR) and Suez Canal Route: "Ship Travels Arctic From China to Europe". (2013. 08. 19). The Wall Street Journal.
- M. G. Song. (2017). Analysis of China's trade dependency on the countries participating in the Belt and Road initiative. The Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(9), 189-200. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.9.189
- Map of the Belt and Road Initiative: "Top Trump Advisor signals interest in possible cooperation with China's One Belt One Road Global Infrastructure plans". (2016. 11. 15). South China Morning Post.
- M. G. Song & G. T. Yeo. (2017). Analysis of the Air Transport Network Characteristics of Major Airports. The Asian Journal of Shipping and Logistics, 33(3), 131-139.
- N. Hong. (2012). The melting Arctic and its impact on China's maritime transport. Research in Transportation Economics, 35(1), 50-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.retrec.2011.11.003
- Xi Jinping's speech at opening ceremony of Boao Forum (2013. 4. 10). Xinhua.
- Vision and Actions on Jointly Building Silk Road Economic Belt and 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road(推動共建絲绸之路經濟带和21世紀海上絲綢之路的愿景与行動). (2015, 3). National Development and Reform Commission, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, amd Ministry of Commerce of the People's Republic of China.
- Vision for Maritime Cooperation under the Belt and Road Initiative. (2017, 6). National Development and Reform Commission & State Oceanic Administration
- H. B. Choi, S. B. Choi & X. L. Kevin. (2014). A Study on Reorganization of International Logistic Networks by the Use of North Pole Route in Korea. The Journal of Shipping and Logistics, 30(1), 105-134.
- G. Whiteman, C. Hope & P. Wadhams. (2013). Vast costs of Arctic change, NATURE, 499, 401-403. https://doi.org/10.1038/499401a
- M. Kurttila, M. Pesonen, J. Kangas & M. Kajanus. (2000). Utilizing the analytic hierarchy process(AHP) in SWOT analysis - a hybrid method and its application to a forest-certification case. Forest Policy and Economics, 1(1), 41-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1389-9341(99)00004-0
- The Arctic Frozen Conflict, Denmark claims the North Pole (2014. 12. 17). The Economist.