- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of External Knowledge Search on Innovation Speed: Focusing on the Moderation Effect of Export Performance
외부지식탐색이 혁신속도에 미치는 영향: 수출성과의 조절효과를 중심으로
- Roh, Taewoo (Department of International Trade and Commerce, Soonchunhyang University)
- 노태우 (순천향대학교 국제통상학과)
- Received : 2017.10.11
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
This study suggests external knowledge search as a way of creating knowledge and efforts for reaching out to the innovation and examines the relationship between innovation speed and the breadth and depth of external knowledge search. As a part of efforts to overcome the limitations of the routines of external knowledge search in the domestic market, the efforts of a firm to enter the foreign market have been examined with a moderate effect. Although previous research focused on exploration of external knowledge that is mostly effected in single country or similar industry, this study expands it by introducing the concept of market expansion and empirically inspect the interaction effect. 818 valid samples used in this study are based on the innovation survey published by STEPI and empirical results are as follows. First, the breadth and depth of external knowledge search have a positive impact on innovation speed. Second, export performance as the effect of expanding the market has a moderating effect on the speed of innovation. Third, younger companies prefer various networks while older companies prefer depth networks in order to increase the speed.
External Knowledge Search for Depth;External Knowledge Search for Breadth;Export;Innovation Speed;Firm Age Effect
Supported by : Soonchunhyang University
- H. Chesbrough. (2003). Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology. MA: Harvard Business Press.
- B. Cassiman & E. Golovko. (2011). Innovation and Internationalization through Exports, Journal of International Business Studies, 42(1), 56-75. https://doi.org/10.1057/jibs.2010.36
- H. Hoang & F. T. Rothaermel. (2010). Leveraging Internal and External Experience: Exploration, Exploitation, and R&D Project Performance, Strategic Management Journal, 31(7), 734-758. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.834
- H. Bahemia & B. Squire. (2010). A Contingent Perspective of Open Innovation in New Product Development Projects, International Journal of Innovation Management, 14(4), 603-603. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1363919610002799
- F. T. Rothaermel & D. L. Deeds. (2006). Alliance Type, Alliance Experience and Alliance Management Capability in High-Technology Ventures, Journal of Business Venturing, 21(4), 429-460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2005.02.006
- L. Miotti & F. Sachwald. (2003). Co-Operative R&D: Why and with Whom? An Integrated Framework of Analysis, Research Policy, 32(8), 1481-1499. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(02)00159-2
- M. J. Nieto, L. Santamaria, & Z. Fernandez. (2015). Understanding the Innovation Behavior of Family Firms, Journal of Small Business Management, 53(2), 382-399. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsbm.12075
- K. Laursen & A. Salter. (2004). Searching High and Low: What Types of Firms Use Universities as a Source of Innovation?, Research Policy, 33(8), 1201-1215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2004.07.004
- J. Y. Yang & T. W. Roh. (2015). External Open Innovation Strategy and Innovation Outcome in Smes, Knowledge Management Research, 16(4), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2015.16.4.001
- J. Y. Jung, T. W. Roh, & Y. J. Han. (2014). External Knowledgesearch Strategy and Technological Innovation: Small Vs Medium Firms, Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 9(5), 173-180.
- J. Y. Jung, T. W. Roh, & Y. J. Han. (2015). Effects of the External Knowledge Search and Utilization Activities of Smes on Market Expansion, Knowledge Management Research, 16(1), 243-254. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2015.16.1.012
- W. M. Cohen & D. A. Levinthal. (1990). Absorptive Capacity: A New Perspective on Learning and Innovation, Administrative Science Quarterly, 35(1), 128-152. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393553
- J. West & M. Bogers. (2014). Leveraging External Sources of Innovation: A Review of Research on Open Innovation, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 31(4), 814-831. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpim.12125
- L. Dahl&er & M. Magnusson. (2008). How Do Firms Make Use of Open Source Communities?, Long Range Planning, 41(6), 629-649. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2008.09.003
- V. van de Vrande, J. P. J. de Jong, W. Vanhaverbeke, and M. de Rochemont. (2009). Open Innovation in Smes: Trends, Motives and Management Challenges, Technovation, 29(6-7), 423-437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2008.10.001
- J. E. Hwang & T. W. Roh. (2015). The Effect of External Search on Innovation Performance and Speed, The Journal of Small Business Innovation, 18(4), 15-31.
- H. Chesbrough, W. Vanhaverbeke, & J. West. (2006). Open Innovation: Researching a New Paradigm. UK: OUP Oxford.
- V. Parida, M. Westerberg, & J. Frishammar. (2012). Innovation Performance, Journal of Small Business Management, 50(2), 283-309. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-627X.2012.00354.x
- U. Lichtenthaler. (2009). Absorptive Capacity, Environmental Turbulence, and the Complementarity of Organizational Learning Processes, Academy of Management Journal, 52(4), 822-846. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2009.43670902
- E. Enkel & O. Gassmann. (2010). Creative Imitation: Exploring the Case of Cross-Industry Innovation, R&D Management, 40(3), 256-270. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2010.00591.x
- R. Katila & G. Ahuja. (2002). Something Old, Something New: A Longitudinal Study of Search Behavior and New Product Introduction, Academy of Management Journal, 45(6), 1183-1194. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069433
- K. Laursen & A. Salter. (2006). Open for Innovation: The Role of Openness in Explaining Innovation Performance among Uk Manufacturing Firms, Strategic Management Journal, 27(2), 131-150. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.507
- N. Y. Sakkab. (2002). Connect & Develop Complements Research & Develop at P&G, Research Technology Management, 45(2), 38-45. https://doi.org/10.1080/08956308.2002.11671490
- M. Dodgson, D. Gann, & A. Salter. (2006). The Role of Technology in the Shift Towards Open Innovation: The Case of Procter & Gamble, R&D Management, 36(3), 333-346. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2006.00429.x
- A. Banu Goktan & G. Miles. (2011). Innovation Speed and Radicalness: Are They Inversely Related?, Management Decision, 49(4), 533-547. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251741111126477
- M. Subramaniam & M. A. Youndt. (2005). The Influence of Intellectual Capital on the Types of Innovative Capabilities, Academy of Management Journal, 48(3), 450-463. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2005.17407911
- H. Gatignon, M. L. Tushman, W. Smith, & P. Anderson. (2002). A Structural Approach to Assessing Innovation: Construct Development of Innovation Locus, Type, and Characteristics, Management Science, 48(9), 1103-1122. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.48.9.1103.174
- D. J. Miller, M. J. Fern, & L. B. Cardinal. (2007). The Use of Knowledge for Technological Innovation within Diversified Firms, Academy of Management Journal, 50(2), 307-325. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2007.24634437
- A. Taylor & H. R. Greve. (2006). Superman or the Fantastic Four? Knowledge Combination and Experience in Innovative Teams, Academy of Management Journal, 49(4), 723-740. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2006.22083029
- S. A. Zahra & G. George. (2002). Absorptive Capacity: A Review, Reconceptualization, and Extension, Academy of Management Review, 27(2), 185-203. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2002.6587995
- R. M. Henderson & K. B. Clark. (1990). Architectural Innovation: The Reconfiguration of Existing Product Technologies and the Failure of Established Firms, Administrative Science Quarterly, 35(1), 9-9. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393549
- T. W. Roh & K. C. Kim. (2015). R&D Capabilities, Market Resilience, and Performance in Korean SMEs, The Journal of Small Business Innovation, 18(2), 1-14.
- D. J. Kim, K. C. Kim, & T. Roh. (2014). Innovation Trap of SMEs: Liability of Smallness, Learning and Export, The Journal of Small Business Innovation, 17(4), 49-65.
- E. Golovko & G. Valentini. (2011). Exploring the Complementarity between Innovation and Export for Smes' Growth, Journal of International Business Studies, 42(3), 362-380. https://doi.org/10.1057/jibs.2011.2
- J. Hair, W. Black, B. Babin, R. Anderson, & R. Tatham. (1998). Multivariate Data Analysis. NJ: Prentice Hall.
- W. J. Lee & W. K. Lim. (2017). Effects of Entrepreneurial Orientation and Firm's Resources on Technological Innovation Performance and Ambidextrous Innovation; with Meditation Effects of Dynamic Capabilities, Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(10), 133-150. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.10.133
- D. S. Jung. (2017), An Empirical Study on the Influence of Technology Management Activities on Firm Performance, Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(10), 201-201. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.201
- M. S. Yim. (2016). The Convergence between Manufacturing and ICT : The Exploring Strategies for Manufacturing version 3.0 in Korea, Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(3), 219-226. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.219
- C. W. Jahng & T. H. Kwon. (2015). Research on Strategies of Open Innovation Activities with Impacts on Dynamic Competitive Advantage : In the Context of Digital Convergence and Disruptive Innovation, Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(5), 119-127. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.119
- Y. J. Park. (2015). The Design of Conceptual Framework and Platform for Collaborative Innovation and Convergence, Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(5), 101-109. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.101
- T. S. Jeong. (2015). A Study on the Relationship between Customer and Supplier Network and Innovation Performance : Focused on Mediating Effect of T-Shaped Skill, Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(1), 93-110. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.1.93
- S. T. Park & Y. K. Kim. (2014). Difference Across Indutries of Innovation Appropriability Mechanism's Effectiveness and Classification, Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(6), 135-144. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.135
- Y. Kim. (2014). A Study on plan for promoting innovation and utilization of information sharing, Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(4), 43-49. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.4.43
- H. C. Kim & S. K. Lee. (2014). An Empirical Study on the Critical Success Factor of Technological Innovation of Small-Medium Sized enterprises by growth stages - Focusing on the Case Study, Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(10), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.1