- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Application and the Effect of Business Culture Class Using Keller's ARCS Motivational Model
Keller의 ARCS 동기모델을 적용한 비즈니스문화 수업과정 설계 및 효과에 대한 연구
- Kim, Bu-Ja (Dept. of Global Business & Information, Seoul Christian University)
- 김부자 (서울기독대학교 국제경영정보학과)
- Received : 2018.01.02
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The purpose of this study was to apply Keller's ARCS motivational model to the business culture lessons and to examine the effects on cultural knowledge, interest, awareness and attitude of university students. To accomplish this purpose, the teaching-learning method applying ARCS model for business culture was designed, aiming to improve all elements of learning motivation such as attention, relevance, confidence and satisfaction. The experiment was conducted with two groups as follows; one experimental group that received instruction using ARCS model and the other comparison group that received traditional lecture instruction. Both the instruction using the ARCS model and the traditional lecture instruction was effective in increasing knowledge of culture. The instruction using the ARCS model was verified to improve interest in culture, understanding of others from other cultures, motivation to create culture, perception of importance of culture, and perception of necessity of culture education. But the traditional lecture instruction did not show statistically meaningful effects on cultural interest, awareness and attitude.
Supported by : Seoul Christian University
- Keller, J. M..(1983). Motivational design of instruction. In C. M. Reigeluth(Ed.), Instructional design theories and models: An overview of their current status. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Glynn, S. M., Aultman, L. P. & Owens, A. M. (2005). Motivation to learn in general education programs. The Journal of General Education, 54(2), 150-170. https://doi.org/10.1353/jge.2005.0021
- Wlodkowski, R. J. (2009). Enhancing adult motivation to learn. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Keller, J. M. (2010). Motivational design for learning and performance: The ARCS model approach. Springer Science & Business Media.
- S. H. Kim. (2015). A study on the Korean painting areas of art textbooks in middle school. Master thesis. Kyonggi University. Suwon.
- J. S. Kim. (2006). The effect on the scientific attitude, self-efficacy and learning achievement in science class through ARCS strategy. Master thesis. Busan National University of Education, Busan.
- H. Y. Kim. (2005). The effects of ARCS learning strategy on the learning motivation, the flow and the academic achievement of student in mathematic class. Master thesis. Korea University. Seoul.
- J. O. Oh. (2005). The effects of ARCS strategies on learning motivation and learning attitudes in the instruction of social studies. Master thesis. Busan Ntional University of Education. Pusan.
- J. M. Kang. (2017). Development of technology.home economics teaching-learning plans using ARCS strategies to improve character for middle school students: Focusing on the chapter 'understanding families'. Master thesis. Chonnam National University. Daejeon.
- O. I. Jin. (2002). A study on the effect of message of the motivation solving the mathematical problems and learning attitudes based on the ARCS model. Master thesis. Yonsei University. Seoul.
- G. N. Song. (2015). The effects of using ARCS model in the unit of 'principles of mechanical movement' on the learning motivation and academic achievement. Master thesis. Korea National University of Education. Cheongju.
- H. S. Ku. (2012). The effect of mathematical class utilizing the ARCS motivation strategy on mathematical inclination and learning achievement. Master thesis. Kyunghee University. Seoul.
- J. S. Lee. (2013). The effects of 4E&E learning cycle considering ARCS motivation in high school biology class. Master thesis. Kongju National University. Kongju.
- Y. J. Kim. (2015). Applying the theory of Keller's ARCS motivation to advertising design education plan. Master thesis. Sookmyung Women's University. Seoul.
- J. H. Lee. (2008). Effects of ARCS model-based instruction on self-regulated learning, learning motivation, and course interest in university elective dance. Doctoral dissertation. Hanyang University. Seoul.
- J. O. Joe. (2014). A study on ARCS model's application for the development of learning motivation of college general English education. Korean Journal of General Education, 8(6), 111-141.
- Jeanette S., Martin, & Lillian H. Chaney. (2006). Global business etiquette: A guide to international communication and customs. Praeger Publishers.