- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Current Status of Life and Happiness of Out of School Youth
학교 밖 청소년의 생활실태와 행복감 관련 변인
- Hwang, Yeoun-Kyoung (Dept. of Lifelong Education, Hanseo University) ;
- Hong, Eun-Young (Cheonan Youth Counseling and Welfare Center)
- Received : 2017.12.27
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The purpose of this study was to analyze the current status of life and psychological characteristics of 250 out of school youth in Cheonan city, and to identify the factors affecting the happiness. For statistical analysis, SPSS 21.0 were used, and reliability, mean comparison, correlation and multiple regression analysis were applied. First, adolescents who stopped studying due to family problems was lower in self-esteem than those who did for other reasons. Males was higher in happiness than females, and those who were less than two years of drop-out duration than those with over two years. Second, out of school youth used a day as 7.9 sleeping hours, 3.91 working hours. For the places for daily activities, they stayed at home for 10.73 hours, at working place for 3.66 hours. The future plan was the most for job plan. Third, there was a positive correlation between self-esteem, hope, and happiness of adolescents out of school. Fourth, the relative impact on the happiness of out of school youth ranked in the order of self-esteem, hope, employment plans, and household income level.
Out-of-school youth;Happiness;Hope;Self-esteem;Life status;Multiple regression analysis
- Yoon, C. K., Seo, J. A, Ryu, S. Y. & Cho, A. M. (2014). Characteristics of school dropout adolescents and paths after abortion : school dropout adolescents panel survey I. Korea Institute for Youth Development Research Report, 1-323.
- Choi, D. S., & Lee, S. J. (2009). Career development support plan for school drop-out youth. Seoul : Korea Research Institute for Vocational Education & Training.
- Lee, L. J. (2015). A case study of breathing meditation and drawing experiences about school dropout adolescent. Unpublished Doctorate Dissertation. Myongji University, Seoul.
- Lee, S. H. (2015). Qualitative case study research about school dropouts' returning experience to the specialized high school in alternative education : The students out of schools, open the doors of another school. Journal of the Korean Association of Adolescent Welfare, 17(1), 333-356.
- Lee, J. Y., & Chung, J. Y. (2015). The qualitative study of analysis on the reason why drop-out students have regret or satisfaction on their drop-out decisions. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 22(11), 239-267.
- Park, G. S., & Kim, M. (2016). A comparative study of health status between students and out-of-school youth. Journal of the Korea Institute of Youth Facility and Environment, 14(2), 17-26.
- Baek, H. J., Song, M. K., & Shin, J. M. (2015). Study on the efficient method of supporting out-of-school youths. Korea Institute for Youth Development Research Report, 1-310.
- Hwang, S. Y., & Jeo, S. H. (2015). Developing an education for sustainable development program for out-of-school youth. Korea Institute for Youth Development Research Report, 1-158.
- B. D. Oh, & K. H. Kim. (2013). The statistical estimation of out-of-school youth population for the youth welfare policy in Korea. Journal of the Korean Association of Adolescent Welfare, 15(4), 29-52.
- Oh, E. K. (2015). Factors that affect depression and aggression of youth out-of school : focusing on Daejeon area. Unpublished Doctorate Dissertation. Daejeon University, Daejeon.
- Choi, Y. S. (2015). A study on the adaptation process of dropout youh to a city type alternative school. Unpublished Doctorate Dissertation. Myongji University, Seoul.
- Snyder, C. R., Irving, L. M., & Anderson, J. R. (1991). Hope and health. Handbook of social and clinical psychology: The health perspective, 162, 285-305.
- Snyder, C. R. (1994). The psychology of hope: You can get there from here. Simon and Schuster.
- Snyder, C. R., LaPointe, A. B., Jeffrey Crowson, J., & Early, S. (1998). Preferences of high-and low-hope people for self-referential input. Cognition & Emotion, 12(6), 807-823. https://doi.org/10.1080/026999398379448
- Compton, W. C. (2005). Introduction to Positive Psychology. Thomson Wadsworth.
- Rosenberg, M. (2015). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton university press.
- Lee, H. J. (2017). The effects of school happiness on stress, self-esteem, self-control of middle school students. Unpublished Doctorate Dissertation. Catholic Kwandong University, Gangneung.
- Jeong, E. J. (2014). Korea child and youth panel survey V: basic analysis report I: youth life time trend analysis. Korea Youth Policy Institute Research Report, 1-279.
- Choi, Y. H., Lee, H. K., & Lee, D G. (2008). Validation of the Korean version of Snyder's dispositional hope scale. The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 22(2), 1-16.
- Suh, E. K., & Koo, J. S. (2011). A concise measure of subjective well-being(COMOSWB) : scale development and validation. The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 25(1), 96-114.
- Statistics Korea.Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. (2016). Youth Statistics
- Kim, Y. J., & Lee, C. S. (2014). The mediating effect of hope between stress and suicidal ideation of adolescents. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(6), 539-547. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.539
- Lee. C. S, Park, J. Y., & Jang, H. Y. (2017). The mediating effect of self-esteem between school violence victimization and happiness of adolescents. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(1), 35-43. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.35