- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Subjectivity about North Korean refugee : A Q-methodology Approach
북한이탈주민에 관한 주관성 연구 : Q방법론적 접근
- Ahn, Lee-Su (Division of Public Administration, Shinhan University)
- 안이수 (신한대학교 공공행정학과)
- Received : 2017.12.12
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The purpose of this study is to analyze the cognizance of North Korean refugee by applying Q methodology, as well as to provide preliminary data for improving North Korean refugee's image. The study process let P sample, the study participants, use Q-sorting methodology to sort Q sample, which is composed of statements. 18 participants sorted 32 statements and 3 types of North Korean refugee cognizance were produced as a result. Those types are 1(N=8), 2(N=6), and 3(N=4), which are type favorable, type whereas negative stereotypical, and type neutralist. Favorable types agreed to ensure North Korean refugee groups' rights as a general protection, whereas negative stereotypical types had strong discrimination and prejudice towards North Korean refugee groups due to lack of related knowledge. Furthermore, neutralist types showed an objection to negative stereotypes against North Korean refugee, but they did not entirely agree to North Korean refugee either. It is necessary to develop a detailed strategy to improve the social image of North Korean refugee.
North Korean refugee;Stigma;Subjectivity;Q-methodology;Type
Supported by : Shinhan University
- NORTH KOREAN REFUGEES PROTECTION AND SETTLEMENT SUPPORT ACT. Ministry of Government Legislation
- Y. P. Jong & S. J. Han. (2006). Foreign Workers as Minorities: Policy Conflict Analysis. The Korea Public Administration Journal, 15(2), 157-184.
- Y. P. Jong. (2006). A Study on Minority Problems and Minority Policies in Korea. Proceedings of the Korean Association of Public Administration, 635-649.
- L. Wirth. (1945). The problem of minority groups, In R. Linton, Ed., The science of man in the world crisis (pp. 347-372). New York : Columbia University Press.
- 2017. e-country index. http://www.index.go.kr
- 2016. North Korean defectors' social integration survey. Seoul : Korea Hana Foundation.
- K. H. Kim. (2015). University Students' Perception of Policies Supporting North Korean Defectors: The Mediating Effects of Student's Attitudes toward North Korean Defectors. Journal of social security, 31(4), 1-27.
- K. H. Chae. (2017). The Adaptation Status of North Korean Defectors to South Korean Society and Its Effect on their Problem Solving Ability. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 18(10), 524-530. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.10.524
- I. H. Lee & H. J. Choi. (2017). Factors Influencing Social Adaptation of North Korean Defectors. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 31(2), 341-351. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2017.31.2.341
- H. S. Shin. (2017). Analyzing the North Korean Defectors" Performing Arts That Promotes Trust Building. The Journal of Cultural Policy, 31(2), 75-103.
- J. W. Kang. (2017). The Linguistic Integration of the Two Koreas - Centering on the language use of North Korean settlers in South Korea. Journal of Education & Culture, 23(2), 345-364. https://doi.org/10.24159/joec.2017.23.2.345
- H. K. Kim. (1997). Q Methodology and Creation of Advertising Message. Operant Subjectivity, 20(Issue 1/2), 28-29.
- H. G. Kim. (2008). Q Methodology : Philosophy, Theories, Analysis, and Application. Seoul : Communication Books, Inc..
- J. S. Seong & E. Y. Yeom. (2016). The Types and Characteristics of the Male Nurses Perceived by Female Nurses : An Application of Q- Methodology. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 17(1), 572-584. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.572
- E. J. Yeun, H. J. Kim, M. S. Jeon & J. A. Yoon. (2012). A Comparison General Public and Health Prefessionals' Perception toward Life-Sustaining Treatment. Journal of Human Subjectivity, 25, 21-34.
- M. Y. Jeon, M. H. Kim & J. M. Jo. (2007). Subjectivity on Aging:a Coorientational Approach. Journal of Human Subjectivity, 14, 129-145.
- C. H. Yang & J. Y. Lee. (2013). On the Use of Q Methodology in Research on the Subjective Perceptions of Election Campaign Advertising. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 13(1), 115-126. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.01.115
- H. G. Kim & C. Y. Cha. (2008). Preference Factors in the Materials of Television Life-information Program. Journal of Human Subjectivity, 17, 157-178.
- H. J. Kim. (2015). A Convergence Study on Competitiveness Perception of Festival Specialists on Local Festival-Focusing on Q Method. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(6), 133-139. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.6.133
- E. J. Kim. (2014). A Study on Type of Clinical Experience of Adaptation of New Nursing Staffs in a General Hospital. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(4), 443-454. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.4.443
- S. H. Ko, E. A. Park & M. A. Kim. (2014) The Typology of Gender Role Identity in Middle-aged Women using Q Methodology. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(6), 449-456. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.449
- L. S. Ahn. (2016). A study on types of AIDS perception : Focus on Q-methodology Application. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 17(10), 46-53. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.46
- L. S. Ahn. (2018). Subjectivity about Sexual Minority : A Q-methodology Approach. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 18(1), 527-539 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2018.18.01.527
- K. M. Yang & J. K. Chung. (2005). The Effects of Contact with North Korean Residents on Trust and Acceptance by South Koreans. The Korean Psychological Association, 11(1), 97-115.
- E. E. Jones, A. Farina, A. H. Hastorf, H. Markus, D. T. Miller & R. Scott. (1984). The dimensions of stigma. In E.E. Jones et al (Eds.), Social stigma: The psychology of marked relationships.(pp.24-79).New York, NY: Freeman.
- G. Falk. (2001). stigma : How We Treat Outsiders. Amherst : Prometheus Books.
- B. G. Link & J. C. Phelan. (2001). Conceptualizing Stigma. Annual Review of Sociology, 27, 363-385. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.soc.27.1.363
- M. G. Kim. (2015). A Study on the Research Designs for Social Stigma against Persons with Psychiatric Disability based on the Social Interactionism. Journal of Critical Social Policy, 47(5), 7-42.
- S. W. Jin (2012). A Theoretical Approach to Korean Multicultural Education in Primary and Secondary School - Problems and Suggestions. The Journal of international relations, 15(1), 129-156.
- H. S. Yoo & H. S. Lee. (2014). The conflict of recognition between South Korean and North Korean refugees : Focused on Incheon City. The Journal of Incheon Studies, 20, 325-365.
- Y. K. Cho & Y. H. Choi. (2011). A Study on Social Conflict and Integration-Focusing on North Korean Defectors. The Korean Association for Local Government Studies, 423-446.
- Y. H. Choi & S. Y. Kim. (2013). South Korea Embraced Us, but South Koreans Have Never Accepted North Korean Defectors. - An Analysis of the Comments Posted on Major Internet Portal Sites Concerning North Korean Defectors and the Role of Public Relations in Communicating Unification. The Korean Journal of Advertising and Public Relations, 15(3), 187-219.
- J. D. Park. (2015). A Case Study on Multicultural Education Contents in Korea, International Journal of Glocal Culture, 4(1), 109-124.
- G. C. Thompson. (1966). The evaluation of public opinion. In B. Berelson, & M. Janowitz (Eds.), Reader in public opinion and communication, (2nd ed.). New York : The Free Press.