- Volume 14 Issue 3
Previous experimental researches indicate that reinforced concrete beam-column joints play an important role in the mechanical properties of moment resisting frame structures, so as to require proper design. In order to get better understanding of the beam-column joint performance, a rational model needs to be developed. Based on the former considerations, two typical models for calculating the shear carrying capacity of the beam-column joint including the inelastic reinforced concrete joint model and the softened strut-and-tie model are selected to be introduced and analyzed. After examining the applicability of two typical models mentioned earlier to interior beam-column joints, several adjustments are made to get better predicting of the test results. For the softened strut-and-tie model, four adjustments including modifications of the depth of the diagonal strut, the inclination angle of diagonal compression strut, the smeared stress of mild steel bars embedded in concrete, as well as the softening coefficient are made. While two adjustments for the inelastic reinforced concrete joint model including modifications of the confinement effect due to the column axial load and the correction coefficient for high concrete are made. It has been proved by test data that predicted results by the improved softened strut-and-tie model or the modified inelastic reinforced concrete joint model are consistent with the test data and conservative. Based on the test results, it is also not difficult to find that the improved beam-column joint model can be used to predict the joint carrying capacity and cracks development with sufficient accuracy.
beam-column joint;carrying capacity;cracks development;axial compression ratio;softened strut-and-tie model;inelastic joint model
- ACI 318-05 (2005), Building Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- ACI 352R-02 (2002), Recommendations for Design of Beam-Column Connections in Monolithic Reinforced Concrete Structures, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- Adibi, M., Marefat, M.S., Esmaeily, A., Arani, K.K. and Esmaeily, A. (2017), "Seismic retrofit of external concrete beam-column joints reinforced by plain bars using steel angles prestressed by cross ties", Eng. Struct., 148, 813-828. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.07.014
- Alaee, P. and Li, B. (2017), "High-strength concrete interior beamcolumn joints with high-yield-strength steel reinforcements", J. Struct. Eng., 143(7), 04017038. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001773
- Alaee, P., Li, B. and Cheung, P.P.C. (2015), "Parametric investigation of 3D RC beam-column joint mechanics", Mag. Concrete Res., 67(19), 1054-1069. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.15.00005
- Asha, P. and Sundararajan, R. (2014), "Experimental and numerical studies on seismic behaviour of exterior beamcolumn joints", Comput. Concrete, 13(2), 221-234. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.13.2.221
- Attaalla, S.A. (2004), "General analytical model for nominal shear stress of type 2 normal-and high-strength concrete beamcolumn joints", ACI Struct. J., 101(1), 65-75.
- Attaalla, S.A. and Agbabian, M.S. (2004), "Performance of interior beam-column joints cast from high strength concrete under seismic loads", Adv. Struct. Eng., 7(2), 147-157. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369433041211093
- Beckingsale, C.W. (1980), "Post elastic behaviour of reinforced concrete beam-column joints", Report, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Belarbi, A. and Hsu, T.T.C. (1994), "Constitutive laws of concrete in tension and reinforcing bars stiffened by concrete", ACI Struct. J., 91(4), 465-474.
- Birss, G.R. (1978), "The elastic behaviour of earthquake resistant reinforced concrete beam-column joints", Report, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Chen, L.L. and Wang, J. (2012), "Shear strength model of reinforced concrete beam-column joints", J. Shanghai Univ. (Nat. Sci.), 18(1), 92-97.
- Costa, R.J.T., Gomes, F.C.T., Providencia, P.M.M.P. and Dias, A.M.P.G. (2013), "Influence of shear deformation of exterior beam-column joints on the quasi-static behavior of RC framed structures", Comput. Concrete, 12(4), 393-411. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2013.12.4.393
- Durrani, A.J. and Wight, J.K. (1985), "Behavior of interior beamto-column connections under earthquake-type loading", ACI J. Proc., 82(3), 343-349.
- Fan, G.X. and Song, Y.P. (2014), "Effect of axial compression ratio on dynamic mechanical properties of RC beam-column joints", Mag. Concrete Res., 66(23), 1219-1236. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.14.00110
- Fan, G.X., Song, Y.P. and Wang, L.C. (2014), "Experimental study on the seismic behavior of reinforced concrete beam-column joints under various strain rates", J. Reinf. Plast. Compos., 33(7), 601-618. https://doi.org/10.1177/0731684413512706
- Fan, G.X., Wang, D.B., Yang, S.T., Guo, H.Y. and Song Y.P. (2015), "Seismic behavior of exterior beam-column joints under different loading speeds", J. Harbin Eng. Univ., 36(10), 1326-1330.
- Fenwick, R.C. and Irvine, H.M. (1997), "Reinforced concrete beam-column joints for seismic loading Part II-experimental results", Bull. NZ Nat. Soc. Earthq. Eng., 10(4), 174-185.
- Fujii, S. and Morita, S. (1991), "Comparison between interior and exterior RC beam-column joint behavior", ACI Spec. Publ., 123, 145-166.
- GB50010-2010 (2010), Code for Design of Concrete Structures, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China.
- Gentry, T.R. and Wight, J.K. (1994), "Wide beam-column connections under earthquake-type loading", Earthq. Spectra, 10(4), 675-703. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585793
- Hsu, T.T.C. (1988), "Softened truss model theory for shear and torsion", ACI Struct. J., 85(6), 624-635.
- Hwang, S.J. and Lee, H.J. (1999), "Analytical model for predicting shear strengths of exterior reinforced concrete beamcolumn joints for seismic resistance", ACI Struct. J., 96(5), 846-857.
- Hwang, S.J. and Lee, H.J. (2000), "Analytical model for predicting shear strengths of interior reinforced concrete beamcolumn joints for seismic resistance", ACI Struct. J., 97(1), 35-44.
- Hwang, S.J. and Lee, H.J. (2002), "Strength prediction for discontinuity regions by softened strut-and-tie model", J. Struct. Eng., 128(12), 1519-1526. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:12(1519)
- Ji, T., Zheng, Z.Q. and Zheng, J.L. (2001), "A new softened truss model of reinforced concrete", J. Build. Struct., 22(1), 69-75.
- Kim, J. and LaFave, J.M. (2007), "Key influence parameters for the joint shear behaviour of reinforced concrete (RC) beamcolumn connections", Eng. Struct., 29(10), 2523-2539. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.12.012
- Kim, J. and LaFave, J.M. (2008), "Probabilistic joint shear strength models for design of RC beam-column connections", ACI Struct. J., 105(6), 770-780.
- Kitayama, K., Otani, S. and Aoyama H. (1991), "Development of design criteria for RC interior beam-column joints", ACI Spec. Publ., 123, 97-123.
- Kitayama, K., Otani, S. and Aoyama, H. (1987), "Earthquake resistant design criteria for reinforced concrete interior beamcolumn joints", Proceedings of the Pacific Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Wairakei, New Zealand, August.
- Lee, H.J. and Ko, J. (2007), "Eccentric reinforced concrete beamcolumn connections subjected to cyclic loading in principal directions", ACI Struct. J., 104(4), 459-467.
- Li, B. and Leong, C.L. (2014), "Experimental and numerical investigations of the seismic behavior of high-strength concrete beam-column joints with column axial load", J. Struct. Eng., 141(9), 04014220. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001191
- Lowes, N.L. and Altoontash, A. (2003), "Modeling of reinforcedconcrete beam-column joints subjected to cyclic loading", J. Struct. Eng., 129(12), 1686-1697. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:12(1686)
- Mitra, N. and Samui, P. (2012), "Prediction of inelastic mechanisms leading to seismic failure of interior reinforced concrete beam-column connections", Prac. Period. Struct. Des. Constr., 17(3), 110-118. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)SC.1943-5576.0000115
- Mitra, N., Mitra, S. and Lowes, L.N. (2011), "Probabilistic model for failure initiation of reinforced concrete interior beamcolumn connections subjected to seismic loading", Eng. Struct., 33(1), 154-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.09.029
- Pang, X.B.D. and Hsu, T.T.C. (1996), "Fixed angle softened truss model for reinforced concrete", ACI Struct. J., 93(2), 197-207.
- Paulay, T. and Park, R. (1984), "Joints of reinforced concrete frames designed for earthquake resistance", Report, University of Canterbury, Christchurch.
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, 1st Edition, Wiley-Interscience, New York, USA.
- Paulay, T., Park, R. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1978), "Reinforced concrete beam-column joints under seismic actions", ACI J. Proc., 75(11), 585-593.
- Raffaelle, S.G. and Wight, J.K. (1995), "Reinforced concrete eccentric beam-column connections subjected to earthquaketype loading", ACI Struct. J., 92(1), 45-55.
- Rajagopal, S., Prabavathy, S. and Kang, T.H.K. (2014), "Seismic behavior evaluation of exterior beam-column joints with headed or hooked bars using nonlinear finite element analysis", Earthq. Struct., 7(5), 861-875. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.861
- Sanada, A. and Maruta, M. (2004), "Seismic performance of high rise RC frame structure using ultra high strength concrete", Proceedings of the 13th World Conference in Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, August.
- Shin, M. and LaFave, J.M. (2004), "Modeling of cyclic joint shear deformation contributions in RC beam-column connections to overall frame behavior", Struct. Eng. Mech., 18(5), 645-670. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2004.18.5.645
- Teng, S. and Zhou, H. (2003), "Eccentric reinforced concrete beam-column joints subjected to cyclic loading", ACI Struct. J., 100(2), 139-148.
- Tsonos, A.D.G. (2014), "A new method for earthquake strengthening of old R/C structures without the use of conventional reinforcement", Struct. Eng. Mech., 52(2), 391-403. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.52.2.391
- Unal, M. and Burak, B. (2012), "Joint shear strength prediction for reinforced concrete beam-to-column connections", Struct. Eng. Mech., 41(3), 421-440. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.41.3.421
- Unal, M. and Burak, B. (2013), "Development and analytical verification of an inelastic reinforced concrete joint model", Eng. Struct., 52(7), 284-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.02.032
- Zhao, G.F. (2005), Advanced Reinforced Concrete Structures, China Machine Press, Beijing, China.
Supported by : Central Universities, National Natural Science Foundation