- Volume 14 Issue 3
Fiber reinforced cementitious composites (FRCC) materials that exhibit strain-hardening and multiple cracking properties under tension were recently developed as innovative building materials for construction. This study aims at exploring the use of FRCC on the seismic performance of coupling beams with conventional reinforcement. Experimental tests were conducted on seven FRCC precast coupling beams with small span-to-depth ratios and one ordinary concrete coupling beam for comparison. The crack and failure modes of the specimens under the low cycle reversed loading were observed, and the hysteretic characteristics, deformation capacity, energy dissipation capacity and stiffness degradation were also investigated. The results show that the FRCC coupling beams have good ductility and energy dissipation capacities compared with the ordinary concrete coupling beam. As the confinement stirrups and span-to-depth ratio increase, the deformation capacity and energy dissipation capacity of coupling beams can be improved significantly. Finally, based on the experimental analysis and shear mechanism, a formula for the shear capacity of the coupling beams with small span-to-depth ratios was also presented, and the calculated results agreed well with the experimental results.
fiber reinforced cementitious composites;coupling beam;span-to-depth ratio;quasi-static test;conventional reinforcement;shear capacity
- ACI 318 (2014), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary (ACI 318-14), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Brena, F.S. and Ihtiyar, O. (2011), "Performance of conventionally reinforced coupling beams subjected to cyclic loading", J. Struct. Eng., 137(6), 665-676. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000316
- Canbolat, B.A., Parra-Montesinos, G.J. and Wight, J.K. (2005), "Experimental study on seismic behavior of high-performance fiber-reinforced cement composite coupling beams", ACI Struct. J., 102(1), 159-166.
- Cheng, B. and Su, R.K. (2011), "Retrofit of deep concrete coupling beams by a laterally restrained side plate", J. Struct. Eng., 137(4), 503-512. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000276
- Federal Emergency Management Agency. (2000), "Prestandard and commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings", Research Report No. FEMA 356, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, D.C.
- Fischer, G. and Li, V.C. (2002), "Effect of matrix ductility on deformation behavior of steel-reinforced ECC flexural members under reversed cyclic loading conditions", ACI Struct. J., 99(6), 781-790.
- Fischer, G. and Li, V.C. (2003), "Deformation behavior of fiberreinforced polymer reinforced engineered cementitious composite (ECC) flexural members under reversed cyclic loading conditions", ACI Struct. J., 100(1), 25-35.
- Foltz, R.R., Lee, D.H. and LaFave, J.M. (2017), "Biaxial behavior of high-performance fiber-reinforced cementitious composite plates", Constr. Build. Mater., 143, 501-514. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.03.167
- Fortney, P.J., Rassati, G.A. and Shahrooz, B.M. (2008), "Investigation on effect of transverse reinforcement on performance of diagonally reinforced coupling beams", ACI Struct. J., 105(6), 781-788.
- Galano, L. and Vignoli, A. (2000), "Seismic behavior of short coupling beams with different reinforcement layouts", ACI Struct. J., 97(6), 876-885.
- GB 50010 (2010), Code for Design of Concrete Structures (GB 50010-2010), Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People's Republic of China, Beijing.
- Gong, B. and Shahrooz, B.M. (2001), "Steel-concrete composite coupling beams-behavior and design", Eng. Struct., 23(11), 1480-1490. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00042-6
- Gong, B.N. and Fang, E.H. (1988), "Behavior of reinforced concrete coupling beams between shear walls under cyclic loading", J. Build. Struct., 9(1), 34-41.
- Han, S.W., Lee, C.S., Shin, M. and Lee, K. (2015), "Cyclic performance of precast coupling beams with bundled diagonal reinforcement", Eng. Struct., 93, 142-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.03.034
- Harries, K.A., Gong, B. and Shahrooz, B.M. (2000), "Behavior and design of reinforced concrete, steel, and steel-concrete coupling beams", Earthq. Spectra, 16(4), 775-799. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1586139
- Jia, B. (2012), "Experimental study on steel fiber reinforced concrete coupling beams with different strengths", Master Dissertation, Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou.
- Kanda, T., Lin, Z. and Li, V.C. (2000), "Tensile stress-strain modeling of pseudostrain hardening cementitious composites", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 12(2), 147-156. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2000)12:2(147)
- Khan, M.I. and Abbass, W. (2016), "Flexural behavior of highstrength concrete beams reinforced with a strain hardening cement-based composite layer", Constr. Build. Mater., 125, 927-935. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.08.132
- Lequesne, R.D., Parra-Montesinos, G.J. and Wight, J.K. (2013), "Seismic behavior and detailing of high-performance fiberreinforced concrete coupling beams and coupled wall systems", J. Struct. Eng., 139(8), 1362-1370. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000687
- Lequesne, R.D., Parra-Montesinos, G.J. and Wight, J.K. (2016). "Seismic response of fiber-reinforced coupled walls", ACI Struct. J., 113(3), 435-445.
- Li, V.C. and Kanda, T. (1998), "Engineered cementitious composites for structural applications", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 10(2), 66-69. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1998)10:2(66)
- Li, V.C., Wang, S. and Wu, C. (2001), "Tensile strain-hardening behavior of polyvinyl alcohol engineered cementitious composite (PVA-ECC)", ACI Mater. J., 98(6), 483-492.
- Liang, X.W., Li, F.Y., Zhang, T. and Deng M.K. (2009), "Experimental study on seismic behavior of new reinforcement scheme deep coupling beams", Eng. Mech., 26(12), 119-126.
- Ma, X. (2011), "Experimental study on reinforced concrete coupling beams with different volume fraction of steel fibers", Master Dissertation, Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou.
- Park, W. and Yun, H. (2011), "Seismic performance of pseudo strain-hardening cementitious composite coupling beams with different reinforcement details", Compos. Part B Eng., 42(6), 1427-1445. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2011.04.049
- Paulay, T. and Binney, J.R. (1974), "Diagonally reinforced coupling beams of shear walls", ACI Spec. Publ., 42(2), 579-598.
- Pi, T.X. (2008), "Experimental study on seismic behavior and design method study of small span-to-depth ratio coupling beams of seismic RC shear walls", Ph.D. Dissertation, Chongqing University, Chongqing.
- Shin, M., Gwon, S., Lee, K., Han, S.W. and Jo, Y.W. (2014), "Effectiveness of high performance fiber-reinforced cement composites in slender coupling beams", Constr. Build. Mater., 68, 476-490. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.06.089
- Sun, Z.G., Lin, Z.F. and Dai, R.T. (1994), "Behavior of coupling beams of shear wall reinforced with inclined rhomboidal bars", J. Build. Struct., 15(5), 14-23.
- Tassios, T.P., Moretti, M. and Bezas, A. (1996), "On the behavior and ductility of reinforced concrete coupling beams of shear walls", ACI Struct. J., 93(6), 711-720.
- Ye, Y.X., Qin, L.H., Liu, T. and Sun, X.Y. (2014), "Experimental study on seismic performance of small span-to-depth ratio coupling beams with PVA fiber reinforced concrete", Appl. Mech. Mater., 513, 134-137.
- Zhang, H.Z., Zhang, R.J. and Huang, C.K. (2008), "Experimental study of shear resistance of steel fiber reinforced high-strength concrete coupling beams", China Civil Eng. J., 40(11), 15-22.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China