- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Seismic risk assessment of concrete-filled double-skin steel tube/moment-resisting frames
- Hu, Yi (School of Civil Engineering, Chang'an University) ;
- Zhao, Junhai (School of Civil Engineering, Chang'an University) ;
- Zhang, Dongfang (School of Civil Engineering, Chang'an University) ;
- Zhang, Yufen (School of Civil Engineering, North China University of Technology)
- Received : 2017.04.04
- Accepted : 2018.02.14
- Published : 2018.03.25
This paper aims to assess the seismic risk of a plane moment-resisting frames (MRFs) consisting of concrete-filled double skin steel tube (CFDST) columns and I-section steel beams. Firstly, three typical limit performance levels of CFDST structures are determined in accordance with the cyclic tests of seven CFDST joint specimens with 1/2-scaled and the limits stipulated in FEMA 356. Then, finite element (FE) models of the test specimens are built by considering with material degradation, nonlinear behavior of beam-column connections and panel zones. The mechanical behavior of the concrete material are modeled in compression stressed condition in trip-direction based on unified strength theory, and such numerical model were verified by tests. Besides, numerical models on 3, 6 and 9-story CFDST frames are established. Furthermore, the seismic responses of these models to earthquake excitations are investigated using nonlinear time-history analyses (NTHA), and the limits capacities are determined from incremental dynamic analyses (IDA). In addition, fragility curves are developed for these models associated with 10%/50yr and 2%/50yr events as defined in SAC project for the region on Los Angeles in the Unite State. Lastly, the annual probabilities of each limits and the collapse probabilities in 50 years for these models are calculated and compared. Such results provide risk information for the CFDST-MRFs based on the probabilistic risk assessment method.
concrete-filled double-skin steel tube;beam-column joint;unified strength theory;seismic fragility;risk assessment
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Castro, J.M., Elghazouli, A.Y. and Izzuddin, B.A. (2013), "Modeling of the panel zone in steel and composite moment frames", Eng. Struct., 27, 129-144.
- Clark, W. (1994), "Axial load capacity of circular steel tube columns filled with high strength concrete", M. Eng. Thesis, Dept. of Civil and Building Engineering, Victoria Univ. of Technology, Melbourne, Australia.
- Cornell, C.A., Jalayer, F., Hamburger, R.O. and Foutch, D.A. (2002), "Probabilistic basis for 2000 SAC FEMA steel moment frame guidelines", J. Struct. Eng., 128(4), 526-533. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:4(526)
- Dong, C.X. and Ho, J.C.M. (2012), "Uni-axial behaviour of normal strength CFDST columns with external steel rings", Steel. Compos. Struct., 13(6), 587-606. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.13.6.587
- Ellingwood, B.R. and Kinali, K. (2009), "Quantifying and communicating uncertainty in seismic risk assessment", Struct. Saf., 31, 179-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2008.06.001
- Eurocode 3 (2005), Design of Steel Structures, Part 1.1: General Rules and Rules for Buildings, European Standard EN 1993-1-1, European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Brussels.
- Eurocode 4 (2004), Design of Composite Steel and Concrete Structures, Part 1.1: General Rules and Rules for Buildings, European Standard EN 1994-1-1, European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Brussels.
- Eurocode 8 (2004), Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance, Part 1: General Rules, Seismic Actions and Rules for Buildings, European Standard EN 1998-1-1, European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Brussels.
- Fan, J., Baig, M. and Nie, J. (2008), "Test and analysis on doubleskin concrete filled tubular columns", Tubular Structures XII: Proc., Tubular Structures XII, Taylor & Francis Group, London.
- FEMA (2000), Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, FEMA 356, Washington, DC.
- FEMA (2000), State of the Art Report on Systems Performance of Steel Moment Frames Subject to Earthquake Ground Shaking, Prepared by the SAC Joint Venture for the FEMA-355C, Washington, DC.
- Han, L.H., Huang, H., Tao, Z. and Zhao, X.L. (2006), "Concretefilled double skin steel tubular (CFDST) beam-columns subjected to cyclic bending", Eng. Struct., 28(12), 1698-1714. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.03.004
- Han, L.H., Yang, Y.F. and Tao, Z. (2003), "Concrete-filled thinwalled steel SHS and RHS beam-column subjected to cyclic loading", Thin Wall. Struct., 41(9), 801-833. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(03)00030-2
- Han, T.H., Michael Stallings, J. and Kang, Y.J. (2010), "Nonlinear concrete model for double-skinned composite tubular columns", Constr. Build. Mater., 24(12), 2542-2553. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.001
- HAZUS (1997), Earthquake Loss Estimation Methodology, National Institute of Building for the FEMA, Washington, DC.
- Hu, Y., Zhao, J.H. and Jiang, L.Q. (2017), "Seismic risk assessment of steel frames equipped with steel panel wall", Struct. Des. Tall. Spec. Build., 26(10), 1-12.
- Ibarra, L.F., Medina, R.A. and Krawinkler, H. (2005), "Hysteretic models that incorporate strength and stiffness deterioration", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34(12), 1489-1511. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.495
- Krawinkler, H. (1978), "Shear in beam-column joints in seismic design of steel frames", J. Struct. Eng., 15(3), 82-91.
- Li, Y., Yin, Y.J., Ellingwood, B.R. and Bulleit W.M. (2010), "Uniform hazard vs. Uniform risks bases for performance-based earthquake engineering of light-frame wood construction", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 39(11), 1199-1217. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.989
- Lignos, D.G. and Krawinkler, H.K. (2011), "Deterioration modeling of steel components in support of collapse prediction of steel moment frames under earthquake loading", J. Struct. Eng., 137(11), 1291-1302. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000376
- McKenna, F., Fenves, G. and Scott, M. (2013), "Computer program Open-Sees: Open system for earthquake engineering simulation", Pacific Earthquake Engineering Center, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA. (http://opensees.berkeley.edu)
- Muhummud, T. (2004), "Seismic design and behavior of composite moment resisting frames constructed of CFT columns and WF beams", PhD. Thesis, Lehigh Univ., Bethlehem, PA.
- PEER/ATC (2010), Modeling and Acceptance Criteria for Seismic Analysis and Design of Tall Buildings, Report No. 72-1, Applied Technology Council. Redwood City, California.
- Scott, H.D., Park, R. and Priestly, M.J.N. (1982), "Stress-strain behavior of concrete confined by overlapping hoops at low and high strain rates", J. Am. Concrete. Inst., 79(1), 13-27.
- SEAOC (1999), Appendix I: Tentative Guidelines for Performance-based Seismic Engineering, Part A: Strength Design Adaption, Structural Engineers Association of California, Sacramento, California.
- Sheet, I.S., Gunasekaran, U. and MacRae, G.A. (2013), "Experimental investigation of CFT column to steel beam connections under cyclic loading", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 86, 167-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.03.021
- Skalomenos, K.A., Hatzigeorgiou, G.D. and Beskos, D.E. (2015), "Modeling level selection for seismic analysis of concrete-filled steel tube/moment-resisting frames by using fragility curves", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 44, 199-220. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2465
- Uenaka, K. and Kitoh, H. (2012), "Concrete filled double skin circular tubular members subjected to pure bending and centric compressive loading", Tub. Struct., XIV, 81-87.
- Uenaka, K., Kitoh, H. and Sonoda, K. (2010), "Concrete filled double skin circular stub columns under compression", Thin Wall. Struct., 48(1), 19-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2009.08.001
- USGS (2012), U. S. Geological Survey, http://www.usgs.gov/.
- Wei, S., Mau, S., Vipulanandan, C. and Mantrala, S. (1995), "Performance of new sandwich tube under axial loading: Experiment", J. Struct. Eng., 121(12), 1806-1814. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:12(1806)
- Ye, J.H. and Jiang, L.Q. (2018), "Collapse mechanism analysis of a steel moment frame based on structural vulnerability theory", Arch. Civil Mech. Eng., 18(3), 833-843. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acme.2018.01.001
- Yu, M.H. (2004), Unified Strength Theory and its Application, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Zhang, F.R., Wu, C.Q., Zhao, X.L. Heidarpour, A. and Wang, H.W. (2015), "Numerical modeling of concrete-filled doubleskin steel square tubular columns under blast loading", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 29(5), B4015002-1-12. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000749
- Zhang, Y.F. and Zhang, D.F. (2015), "Experimental study on the seismic behaviour of the connection between concrete-filled twin steel tubes column and steel beam", Eur. J. Environ. Civil Eng., 19(3), 347-365. https://doi.org/10.1080/19648189.2014.960099
- Zhang, Y.F., Zhao, J.H. and Cai, C.S. (2012), "Seismic behavior of ring beam joints between concrete-filled twin steel tubes columns and reinforced concrete beams", Eng. Struct., 39, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.01.014
- Zhang, Y.F., Zhao, J.H. and Yuan, W.F. (2013), "Study on compressive bearing capacity of concrete-filled square steel tube column reinforced by circular steel tube inside", J. Civil Eng. Manage., 19, 787-795. https://doi.org/10.3846/13923730.2013.799088