- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analytical investigation on moment-rotation relationship of through-tenon joints with looseness in ancient timber buildings
- Xue, Jianyang ;
- Qi, Liangjie ;
- Dong, Jinshuang ;
- Xu, Dan
- Received : 2018.01.16
- Accepted : 2018.02.12
- Published : 2018.03.25
To study the mechanical properties of joints in ancient timber buildings in depth, the force mechanism of the through-tenon joints was analyzed, also the theoretical formulas of the moment-rotation angles of the joints with different loosening degrees were deduced. To validate the rationality of the theoretical calculation formulas, six joint models with 1/3.2 scale ratio, including one intact joint and five loosening joints, were fabricated and tested under cyclic loading. The specimens underwent the elastic stage, the plastic stage and the destructive stage, respectively. At the same time, the moment-rotation backbone curves of the tenon joints with different looseness were obtained, and the theoretical calculation results were validated when compared with the experimental results. The results show that the rotational moment and the initial rotational stiffness of the tenon joints increase gradually with the increase of the friction coefficient. The increase of the tenon section height can effectively improve the bearing capacity of the through-tenon joints. As the friction coefficient of the wood and the insertion length of the tension increase, the embedment length goes up, whereas it decreases with the increase of section height. With the increase of the looseness, the bearing capacity of the joint is reduced gradually.
ancient timber buildings;through-tenon joints;looseness;seismic performance;low cyclic reversed loading tests;moment-rotation relationship
- Chang, W. (2006), "Research on rotational performance of traditional Chuan-Dou timber joints in Taiwan", National ChenKung University, Tainan.
- Chen, C., Qiu, H. and Lu, Y. (2016), "Flexural behaviour of timber dovetail mortise-tenon joints", Constr. Build. Mater., 112, 366-377. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.02.074
- Chen, Z. (2011), "Behaviour of typical joints and the structure of Yingxian Wood Pagoda", Harbin Institutive of Technology, Harbin.
- Chun, Q., Yue, Z. and Pan, J. (2011), "Experimental study on seismic characteristics of typical mortise-tenon joints of Chinese southern traditional timber frame buildings", Sci. China Technol. Sci., 54(9), 2404-2411. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11431-011-4448-3
- Dong, X. (2015), "Research on seismic behavior of Dou-Gong brackets used in ancient timber buildings under different Skew angle", Xi'an Univeristy of Architecture and Technology, Xi'an.
- Erdil, Y., Kasal, A. and Eckelman, C. (2005), "Bending moment capacity of rectangular mortise and tenon furniture joints", Forest Prod. J., 55(12), 209-213.
- Gao, D., Zhao, H. and Xue, J. (2008), "A seismic characteristics of bucket arch and mortise-tenon joint of ancient Chinese timber buildings: Experimental research", J. Nat. Disast., 17(2), 58-64.
- Jozsef, B. (1982), Mechanics of Wood and Wood Composites, Van Nostrand Reinhold Compary, New York.
- Li, Y., Cao, S. and Xue, J. (2016), "Analysis on mechanical behavior of dovetail mortise-tenon joints with looseness in traditional timber buildings", Struct. Eng. Mech., 60(5), 903-921. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.60.5.903
- Ogawa, K., Sasaki, Y. and Yamasaki, M. (2016), "Theoretical estimation of the mechanical performance of traditional mortise-tenon joint involving a gap", J. Wood Sci., 62(3), 242-250. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10086-016-1544-9
- Pang, S., Oh, J., Park, J., Park, C. and Lee, J. (2010), "Momentcarrying capacity of dovetailed mortise and tenon joints with or without beam shoulder", J. Struct. Eng., 137(7), 785-789.
- Ross, R.J. (2010), Wood Handbook: Wood as an Engineering Material, Press of the Pacific, Washington DC.
- Xia, H. (2015), "Experimental study on seismic behavior of through-tenon joints under different degree of looseness in ancient wooden buildings", Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology, Xi'an.
- Xie, Q., Cui, Y., Zhao, H. and Xue, J. (2013), "Study on calculation method of wood strength for ancient timber structure buildings", J. Fuzhou Univ. (Nat. Sci. Ed.), 41(4), 483-486.
- Xie, Q., Du, B., Zhang, F., Zheng, P. and Xu, Q. (2014), "Theoretical analysis on moment-rotation relationship of dovetail joints for chinese ancient timber structure buildings", Eng. Mech., 31(12), 140-146.
- Xie, Q., Zhao, H., Xue, J., Yao, K. and Sui, Y. (2008), "An experimental study on the strengthening of mortise-tenon joints in ancient Chinese wooden buildings", Chin. Civil Eng. J., 41(1), 28-34.
- Xie, Q., Zheng, P., Xiang, W., Cui, Y. and Zhang, F. (2014), "Experimental study on seismic behavior of damaged straight mortise- tenon joints of ancient timber buildings", J. Build. Struct., 35(11), 143-150.
- Yao, K., Zhao, H. and Ge, H. (2006), "Experimental studies on the characteristic of mortise-tenon joint in historic timber buildings", Eng. Mech., 23(10), 168-173.
- Zhang, F., Zhao, H., Xue, J., Xie, Q., Sui, Y. and Luo, Z. (2013), "Lateral load-resisting analysis and experimental verification of ancient timber column-frame based on swing-columns principle", Indus. Constr., 43(10), 56-60.
- Zhang, X. (2013), "Dynamic analysis of ancient timber-frame buildings under seismic excitations", Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology, Xi'an.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China