- Volume 14 Issue 3
Under strong ground motion, pounding can be caused because of the different dynamic properties between two adjacent buildings. Using different structural systems in two adjacent structures makes a difference in the lateral stiffness and thus changes the pounding force between them. In this paper, the effect of the structural system of adjacent buildings on the amount of force applied by pounding effects has been investigated. Moment resisting frame systems (MRFs), lateral X-bracing system (LBS), shear wall system (SWS) and dual system (DS) have been investigated. Four different cases has been modelled using finite element (FE) method. The number of stories of the two adjacent buildings is different in each case: case 1 with 6 and 4 stories, case 2 with 9 and 6 stories, case 3 with 15 and 6 stories and case 4 with 10 and 10 stories. The structures have been modelled three-dimensionally. Non-linear time history analysis has been done on the structures using the finite element software SAP2000. In order to model pounding effects, the non-linear gap elements have been used.
pounding effects;structural systems;time history analysis
- Anagnostopoulos, S. (1996), "Building pounding re-examined: how serious a problem is it", Eleventh World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Pergamon, Elsevier Science Oxford, UK.
- Anagnostopoulos, S. and Karamaneas, C. (2008), "Use of collision shear walls to minimize seismic separation and to protect adjacent buildings from collapse due to earthquake-induced pounding", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(12), 1371-1388. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.817
- Bertero, V.V. (1987), Observations on Structural Pounding. The Mexico Earthquakes-1985, Factors Involved and Lessons Learned, ASCE.
- Chau, K., Wei, X., Guo, X. and Shen, C. (2003), "Experimental and theoretical simulations of seismic poundings between two adjacent structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 32(4), 537-554. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.231
- Cole, G.L., Dhakal, R.P. and Turner, F.M. (2012), "Building pounding damage observed in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(5), 893-913. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1164
- Efraimiadou, S., Hatzigeorgiou, G.D. and Beskos, D.E. (2013), "Structural pounding between adjacent buildings subjected to strong ground motions. Part I: The effect of different structures arrangement", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(10), 1509-1528. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2285
- Filiatrault, A., Wagner, P. and Cherry, S. (1996), "An experimental study on the seismic pounding of buildings", Eleventh World Conference on Earthquake Engineering.
- Hameed, A., Saleem, M., Qazi, A., Saeed, S. and Bashir, M. (2012), "Mitigation of seismic pounding between adjacent buildings", Pakistan J. Sci., 64, 326-333.
- Iranian Seismic Code (2005), Iranian Code of Practice for Seismic Resistant Design of Buildings, Standard No. 2800-05, 3rd Edition, Building and Housing Research Center, Iran.
- Jameel, M., Islam, A., Hussain, R.R., Hasan, S.D. and Khaleel, M. (2013), "Non-linear FEM analysis of seismic induced pounding between neighbouring multi-storey structures", Latin Am. J. Solid Struct., 10(5), 921-939. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1679-78252013000500004
- Jankowski, R. (2006), "Pounding force response spectrum under earthquake excitation", Eng. Struct., 28(8), 1149-1161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.12.005
- Jankowski, R. (2009), "Non-linear FEM analysis of earthquakeinduced pounding between the main building and the stairway tower of the Olive View Hospital", Eng. Struct., 31(8), 1851-1864. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.03.024
- Kaushik, H.B., Dasgupta, K., Sahoo, D.R. and Kharel, G. (2006), "Sikkim Earthquake of 14 February 2006", NICEE Reconnaissance Report, National Information Center of Earthquake Engineering, Kanpur.
- Kioumarsi, B., Gholhaki, M., Kheyroddin, A. and Kioumarsi, M. (2016), "Analytical study of building height effects over steel plate shear wall behavior", Int. J. Eng. Technol. Innov., 6(4), 255-263.
- Kioumarsi, B., Kheyroddin, A., Gholhaki, M., Kioumarsi, M. and Hooshmandi, S. (2017), "Effect of span length on behavior of MRF accompanied with CBF and MBF systems", Procedia Eng., 171, 1332-1340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.01.431
- Maison, B. and Kasai, K. (1990), "SLAM-2: A computer program for the analysis of structural pounding", Extended Version, Available from the National Information Service for Earthquake Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- Muthukumar, S. (2003), "A contact element approach with hysteresis damping for the analysis and design of pounding in bridges", Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Pant, D.R. and Wijeyewickrema, A.C. (2012), "Structural performance of a base-isolated reinforced concrete building subjected to seismic pounding", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(12), 1709-1716. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2158
- Phocas, M.C. and Sophocleous, T. (2012), "Numerical verification of a dual system's seismic response", Earthq. Struct., 3(5), 749-766. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.5.749
- Polycarpou, P.C. and Komodromos, P. (2010), "Earthquakeinduced poundings of a seismically isolated building with adjacent structures", Eng. Struct., 32(7), 1937-1951. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.03.011
- Polycarpou, P.C., Papaloizou, L. and Komodromos, P. (2014), "An efficient methodology for simulating earthquake-induced 3D pounding of buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 43(7), 985-1003. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2383
- Polycarpou, P.C., Papaloizou, L., Komodromos, P. and Charmpis, D.C. (2015), "Effect of the seismic excitation angle on the dynamic response of adjacent buildings during pounding", Earthq. Struct., 8(5), 1127-1146. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.5.1127
- Ruangrassamee, A. and Kawashima, K. (2003), "Control of nonlinear bridge response with pounding effect by variable dampers", Eng. Struct., 25(5), 593-606. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00169-4
- Skrekas, P., Sextos, A. and Giaralis, A. (2014), "Influence of bidirectional seismic pounding on the inelastic demand distribution of three adjacent multi-storey R/C buildings", Earthq. Struct., 6(1), 71-87. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.1.071