- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Rapid seismic vulnerability assessment by new regression-based demand and collapse models for steel moment frames
- Kia, M. (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Science and Technology of Mazandaran) ;
- Banazadeh, M. (Department of Civil Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology) ;
- Bayat, M. (Young Researchers and Elite Club, Roudehen Branch, Islamic Azad University)
- Received : 2017.09.17
- Accepted : 2018.02.07
- Published : 2018.03.25
Predictive demand and collapse fragility functions are two essential components of the probabilistic seismic demand analysis that are commonly developed based on statistics with enormous, costly and time consuming data gathering. Although this approach might be justified for research purposes, it is not appealing for practical applications because of its computational cost. Thus, in this paper, Bayesian regression-based demand and collapse models are proposed to eliminate the need of time-consuming analyses. The demand model developed in the form of linear equation predicts overall maximum inter-story drift of the lowto mid-rise regular steel moment resisting frames (SMRFs), while the collapse model mathematically expressed by lognormal cumulative distribution function provides collapse occurrence probability for a given spectral acceleration at the fundamental period of the structure. Next, as an application, the proposed demand and collapse functions are implemented in a seismic fragility analysis to develop fragility and consequently seismic demand curves of three example buildings. The accuracy provided by utilization of the proposed models, with considering computation reduction, are compared with those directly obtained from Incremental Dynamic analysis, which is a computer-intensive procedure.
probabilistic seismic demand analysis;demand model;collapse function;Bayesian regression;incremental dynamic analysis
- Adeli, M., Banazadeh, M. and Deylami, A. (2011a), "Bayesian approach for determination of drift hazard curves for generic steel moment-resisting frames in territory of Tehran", Int. J. Civil Eng., 9(3), 145-154.
- Adeli, M., Banazadeh, M. and Deylami, A. (2011b), "A Bayesian approach to construction of probabilistic seismic demand models for steel moment-resisting frames", Scientia Iranica, 18(4), 885-894. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scient.2011.07.019
- Agency, F.E.M. (2009), Quantification of Building Seismic Performance Factors, FEMA P695, Washington, DC.
- Bai, J.W., Gardoni, P. and Hueste, M.B.D. (2011), "Story-specific demand models and seismic fragility estimates for multi-story buildings", Struct. Saf., 33(1), 96-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2010.09.002
- Bayat, M. and Daneshjoo, F. (2015), "Seismic performance of skewed highway bridges using analytical fragility function methodology", Comput. Concrete, 16(5), 723-740. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.16.5.723
- Bayat, M., Daneshjoo, F. and Nistico, N. (2015a), "A novel proficient and sufficient intensity measure for probabilistic analysis of skewed highway bridges", Struct. Eng. Mech., 55(6), 1177-1202. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.6.1177
- Bayat, M., Daneshjoo, F. and Nistico, N. (2015b), "Probabilistic sensitivity analysis of multi-span highway bridges", Steel Compos. Struct., 19(1), 237-262. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.1.237
- Box, G.E. and Tiao, G.C. (2011), Bayesian Inference in Statistical Analysis, Vol. 40, John Wiley & Sons.
- Chintanapakdee, C. and Chopra, A.K. (2003), "Evaluation of modal pushover analysis using generic frames", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 32(3), 417-442. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.232
- Choe, D.E., Gardoni, P., Rosowsky, D. and Haukaas, T. (2008), "Probabilistic capacity models and seismic fragility estimates for RC columns subject to corrosion", Reliab. Eng. Syst. Saf., 93(3), 383-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2006.12.015
- Cornell, C.A. (1996), "Calculating building seismic performance reliability: a basis for multi-level design norms", Proceedings of the Eleventh World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Mexico.
- Esteva, L. and Ruiz, S.E. (1989), "Seismic failure rates of multistory frames", J. Struct. Eng., 115(2), 268-284. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:2(268)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency, FEMA 350 (2000), Recommended seismic design criteria for new steel momentframe buildings & SAC joint Venture, Sacramento, California
- Gardoni, P., Der Kiureghian, A. and Mosalam, K.M. (2002), "Probabilistic capacity models and fragility estimates for reinforced concrete columns based on experimental observations", J. Eng. Mech., 128(10), 1024-1038. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2002)128:10(1024)
- Ghowsi, A.F. and Sahoo, D.R. (2015), "Fragility assessment of buckling-restrained braced frames under near-field earthquakes", Steel Compos. Struct., 19(1), 173-190. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.1.173
- Goel, R.K. and Chopra, A.K. (1997), "Period formulas for moment-resisting frame buildings", J. Struct. Eng., 123(11), 1454-1461. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:11(1454)
- Haldar, A. and Mahadevan, S. (2000), Probability, Reliability, and Statistical Methods in Engineering Design, John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated.
- Jalali, S.A., Banazadeh, M., Abolmaali, A. and Tafakori, E. (2012), "Probabilistic seismic demand assessment of steel moment frames with side-plate connections", Scientia Iranica, 19(1), 27-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scient.2011.11.036
- Kia, M. and Banazadeh, M. (2016), "Closed-form fragility analysis of the steel moment resisting frames", Steel Compos. Struct., 21(1), 93-107. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.1.093
- Le-Trung, K., Lee, K., Lee, J. and Lee, D.H. (2010), "Seismic demand evaluation of steel MRF buildings with simple and detailed connection models", Int. J. Steel Struct., 10(1), 15-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03249509
- Lignos, D.G. and Krawinkler, H. (2010), "Deterioration modeling of steel components in support of collapse prediction of steel moment frames under earthquake loading", J. Struct. Eng., 137(11), 1291-1302. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000376
- Lu, D.G., Yu, X.H., Pan, F. and Wang, G.Y. (2008), "Probabilistic seismic demand analysis considering random system properties by an improved cloud method", Proceedings of the 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Mazzoni, S., McKenna, F., Scott, M.H. and Fenves, G.L. (2006), OpenSees Command Language Manual, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research (PEER) Center.
- Medina, R.A. and Krawinkler, H. (2004), "Seismic demands for non-deteriorating frame structures and their dependence on ground motions", Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center.
- Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures (2010), Vol. 7, No. 10, ASCE Publications.
- O'Reilly, G.J. and Sullivan, T.J. (2016), "Fragility functions for eccentrically braced steel frame structures", Eartq. Struct., 10(2), 367-388. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.2.367
- Rahnama, M. and Krawinkler, H. (1993), "Effects of soft soil and hysteresis model on seismic demands", No. 108, John A. Blume Earthquake Engineering Center.
- Ramamoorthy, S.K., Gardoni, P. and Bracci, J.M. (2006), "Probabilistic demand models and fragility curves for reinforced concrete frames", J. Struct. Eng., 132(10), 1563-1572. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:10(1563)
- Ruiz-Garcia, J. and Miranda, E. (2010), "Probabilistic estimation of residual drift demands for seismic assessment of multi-story framed buildings", Eng. Struct., 32(1), 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.08.010
- Sharma, H., Gardoni, P. and Hurlebaus, S. (2014), "Probabilistic demand model and performance-based fragility estimates for RC column subject to vehicle collision", Eng. Struct., 74, 86-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.05.017
- Shome, N. and Cornell, C.A. (2000), "Structural seismic demand analysis: Consideration of collapse", Proceedings of the 8th ASCE Specialty Conference on Probabilistic Mechanics and Structural Reliability, 1-6.
- Tabandeh, A. and Gardoni, P. (2014), "Probabilistic capacity models and fragility estimates for RC columns retrofitted with FRP composites", Eng. Struct., 74, 13-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.05.005
- Tang, Y. and Zhang, J. (2011), "Probabilistic seismic demand analysis of a slender RC shear wall considering soil-structure interaction effects", Eng. Struct., 33(1), 218-229 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.10.011
- Vamvatsikos, D. and Cornell, C.A. (2002), "Incremental dynamic analysis", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(3), 491-514. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.141
- Zareian, F. and Krawinkler, H. (2006), "Simplified performancebased earthquake engineering", Doctoral Dissertation, Stanford University.
- Zhu, L., Elwood, K. and Haukaas, T. (2007), "Classification and seismic safety evaluation of existing reinforced concrete columns", J. Struct. Eng., 133(9), 1316-1330. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:9(1316)