- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Modified cyclic steel law including bond-slip for analysis of RC structures with plain bars
- Caprili, Silvia (Department of Civil and Industrial Engineering, University of Pisa) ;
- Mattei, Francesca (Department of Structural and Geotechnical Engineering, University of Rome La Sapienza) ;
- Gigliotti, Rosario (Department of Structural and Geotechnical Engineering, University of Rome La Sapienza) ;
- Salvatore, Walter (Department of Civil and Industrial Engineering, University of Pisa)
- Received : 2017.11.23
- Accepted : 2018.02.04
- Published : 2018.03.25
The paper describes a modified cyclic bar model including bond-slip phenomena between steel reinforcing bars and surrounding concrete. The model is focused on plain bar and is useful, for its simplicity, for the seismic analyses of RC structures with plain bars and insufficient constructive details, such as in the case of '60s -'70s Mediterranean buildings. The model is based on an imposed exponential displacements field along the bar including both steel deformation and slip; through the adoption of equilibrium and compatibility equations a stress-slip law can be deducted and simply applied, with opportune operations, to RC numerical models. This study aims to update and complete the original monotonic model published by the authors, solving some numerical inconsistencies and, mostly, introducing the cyclic formulation. The first aim is achieved replacing the imposed linear displacement field along the bar with an exponential too, while the cyclic behaviour is described through a formulation based on the results of parametric analyses concerning a large range of steel and concrete properties and geometric configurations. Validations of the proposed model with experimental results available in the current literature confirm its accuracy and the reduced computational burden, highlighting its suitability in performing nonlinear analyses of RC structures.
bond slip;plain bars;existing structures;fiber elements;cyclic/seismic behavior
- Abrams, D.A. (1913), "Tests of bond between concrete and steel", Engineering Experiment Station, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, College of Engineering, Champaign, IL, USA.
- Apostolopoulos, C., Ascanio, C., Bianco, L., Braconi, A., Caprili, S., Diamantogiannis, G., Ferreira Pimenta, G., Finetto, M., Moersch, J. and Salvatore, W. (2014), "Effects of corrosion on low-cycle fatigue (seismic) behaviour of high strength steel reinforcing bars", RFSR-CT-2009-00023 Project, Final Report, European Commission, Brussels, Belgium.
- Braconi, A., Braga, F., Caprili, S., Gigliotti, R. and Salvatore, W. (2014), "Seismic demand on steel reinforcing bars in reinforced concrete frame structures", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 12(6), 2633-2664. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-014-9596-y
- Braga, F., Caprili, S., Gigliotti, R. and Salvatore, W. (2015), "Hardening slip model for reinforcing steel bars", Earthq. Struct., 9(3), 503-539. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.3.503
- Braga, F., Gigliotti, R. and Laterza, M. (2006), "Analytical stressstrain relationship for concrete confined by steel stirrups and/or FRP jackets", J. Struct. Eng., 132(9), 402-1416.
- Braga, F., Gigliotti, R. and Laterza, M. (2009), "R/C existing structures with smooth reinforcing bars: experimental behaviour of beam-column joints subject to cyclic lateral loads", Open Constr. Build. Technol. J., 3, 52-67. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874836800903010052
- Braga, F., Gigliotti, R., Laterza, M., D'Amato, M. and Kunnath, S. (2012), "Modified steel bar model incorporating bond-slip for seismic assessment of concrete structures", J. Struct. Eng., 138(11), 1342-1350. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000587
- Caprili, S. and Salvatore, W. (2015), "Cyclic behaviour of uncorroded and corroded steel reinforcing bars", Constr. Build. Mater., 76 ,168-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.11.025
- Caprili, S., Moersch, J. and Salvatore, W. (2015), "Mechanical performance vs. corrosion damage indicators for corroded steel reinforcing bars", Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2015, Article ID 739625, 19.
- CEB-FIP Model Code 1990 Design Code (1993), Comite Euro-International du Beton.
- D'Amato, M., Braga, F., Gigliotti, R., Kunnath, S. and Laterza, M. (2012), "Validation of a modified steel bar model incorporating bond slip for seismic assessment of concrete structures", J. Struct. Eng., 138(11), 1351-1360. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000588
- Dehestani, M. and Mousavi, S.S. (2015), "Modified steel bar model incorporating bond-slip effects for embedded element method", Constr. Build. Mater., 81, 284-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.02.027
- Eligehausen, R., Popov, E.P. and Bertero, V.V. (1982), "Local bond stress-slip relationships of deformed bars under generalized excitations", 7th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Athens, Greece.
- Fernandes, C., Varum, H. and Costa, A. (2013), "Importance of the bond-slip mechanism in the numerical simulation of the cyclic response of RC elements with plain reinforcing bars", Eng. Struct., 56, 396-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.013
- Filippou, F.C., Popov, E.P. and Bertero, V.V. (1983), "Effects of bond deterioration on hysteretic behaviour of reinforced concrete joints", Earthquake Engineering Research Center, Report UCB/EERC-83/19, Univ. of Calif., Berkeley.
- Gigliotti, R. (2002), "Strutture in C.A. progettate per soli carichi verticali: sperimentazioni su nodi trave-pilastro", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Salerno and University of Basilicata, Italy.
- Hakuto, S., Park, R. and Tanaka, H. (2000), "Seismic load tests on interior and exterior beam-column joints with substandard reinforcing details", ACI Struct. J., 97(1), 11-25.
- Kwak, H.G. and Filippou, F.C. (1995), "A new reinforcing steel model with bond-slip", Struct. Eng. Mech., 3(4), 299-312. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.19184.108.40.2069
- Laterza, M., D'Amato, M. and Gigliotti, R. (2017), "Modeling of gravity-designed RC sub-assemblages subjected to lateral loads", Eng. Struct., 130, 242-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.10.044
- Lowes, L. and Altoontash, A. (2003), "Modeling reinforcedconcrete beam-column joints subjected to cyclic loading", J. Struct. Eng., 129(12), 1686-1697. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:12(1686)
- Lowes, L.N. (1999). "Finite element modeling of reinforced concrete beam-column bridge connections", Ph.D Dissertation, University of California, Berkeley.
- Mazzoni, S., McKenna, F., Scott, M.H., Fenves, G.L. and Jeremic, B. (2007), Opensees Command Language Manual, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research (PEER) Center.
- Melo, J., Rossetto, T. and Varum, H. (2015), "Experimental study of bond-slip in RC structural elements with plain bars", Mater. Struct., 48(8), 2367-2381. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-014-0320-9
- Melo, J., Varum, H. and Rossetto, T. (2015), "Cyclic behaviour of interior beam-column joints reinforced with plain bars", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 44(9), 1351-1371. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2521
- Menegotto, M. and Pinto, P.E. (1973), "Method of analysis for cyclically loaded RC plane frames including changes in geometry and non-elastic behavior of elements under combined normal force and bending" , IABSE Symposium on Resistance and Ultimate Deformability of Structures Acted on by Well-Defined Repeated Loads, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Mitra, N. and Lowes L. (2007), "Evaluation, calibration, and verification of a reinforced concrete beam-column joint model", J. Struct. Eng., 133(1), 105-120. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:1(105)
- Mohammad, A.F., Faggella, M., Gigliotti, R. and Spacone, E. (2014), "Influence of bond-slip effect and shear deficient column in the seismic assessment of older infilled frame R/C structures", Proceedings of EURODYN 2014 9th International Conference on Structural Dynamics, Porto, June.
- Monti, G. and Spacone, E. (2000), "Reinforced concrete fiber beam element with bond-slip", J. Struct. Eng., 126(6), 654-661. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:6(654)
- Monti, G., Filippou, F.C. and Spacone, E. (1997), "Analysis of hysteretic behavior of anchored reinforcing bars", ACI Struct. J., 123(5), 248-260.
- Morelli, F., Amico, C., Salvatore, W., Squeglia, N. and Stacul, S. (2017), "Influence of tension stiffening on the flexural stiffness of reinforced concrete circular sections", Mater., 10(6), 669. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma10060669
- Morita, S. and Kaku, T. (1973), "Local bond stress-slip relationship under repeated loading", IABSE Symposium, Lisbon, Portugal
- Pauley, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- Prota, A., De Cicco, F. and Cosenza, E. (2009), "Cyclic behavior of smooth steel reinforcing bars: Experimental analysis and modeling issues", J. Earthq. Eng., 13(4), 500-519. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460902837686
- Saatcioglu, M. and Ozcebe, G. (1989), "Response of reinforced concrete columns to simulated seismic loading", ACI Struct. J., 86(1), 3-12.
- Sezen, H. and Setzler, E.J. (2008), "Reinforcement slip in reinforced concrete columns", ACI Struct. J., 105(3), 280-289
- Verderame, G.M., De Carlo, G., Ricci, P. and Fabbrocino, G. (2009), "Cyclic bond behaviour of plain bars. Part II: Analytical investigation", Constr. Build. Mater., 23(12), 3512-3522. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.07.001
- Verderame, G.M., Ricci, P., De Carlo, G. and Manfredi, G. (2009), "Cyclic bond behaviour of plain bars. Part I: Experimental investigation", Constr. Build. Mater., 23(12), 3499-3511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.07.002
- Zsarnoczay, A. and Budahazy, V. (2013), "Uniaxial material model development for nonlinear response history analysis of steel frames", Proceedings of 2nd Conference of Junior Researchers in Civil Engineering, June.