- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Horticultural Activities Program on Emotional Intelligence and Stress Coping in Nursing College Student
원예활동프로그램이 간호대학생의 정서지능과 스트레스 대처에 미치는 효과
- Yang, Kyung-Mi (Chonnam Research Institute of Nursing Science) ;
- Park, Hyun-Jung (The Department of Nursing Science, Gwang-Ju University)
- Received : 2017.12.13
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
The purpose of this study was to verify the effectiveness of horticultural activities program for 4th grade nursing students' emotional intelligence and stress coping. The study method was a non-equivalent control group pretest-posttest design. Participants were recruited with 4th grade nursing students from two nursing colleges. They were assigned to the experimental group (n=29) or the control group (n=30) using a computerized blocked randomization. Horticultural activities program was consisted of 10 sessions which were 2 times a week for 80 mins at each session during 5 weeks. Pretest and posttest were used to measure emotional intelligence and stress coping using the same structured questionnaires. Data was analyzed using frequency analysis, descriptive statistics,
Supported by : Gwangju University
- Jimenez, C., Navia-Osorio, P. M., & Diaz, C. V.(2010). Stress and health in nov- ice and experienced nursing students. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 66(2). 442-455. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05183.x
- J. S. Han, (2015). Factors Affecting Nursing Students Adjustment to College Life. Journal of the Korea Academy Industrial Cooperation Society 4459-4466. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE072160
- H. Y. Koo, H. S. Im, (2013). Comparison of factors influencing satisfaction of clinical practice between associate and bachelor nursing students.. Journal of Korea Contents Association. 13(1). 311-321. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.01.311 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.01.311
- Y. R. Yeom, K. B. Choi, (2013). Effects of a Meditation Program on Stressful Life Events and the Quality of Life with Nursing Students. Journal of East-West Nursing Research 19( 2), 104-113. http://dx.doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.104. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.104
- S. C. Choi, H. W. Park. (2005). The effect of social emotional issues on stress and depression self-esteem. Korean journal of social welfare. 57(4). 177-196.
- A. K. Han, O. S. Kim, J. S. Won. (2007). A Study on Job Stress and Coping Method by the Personality Types of Clinical Nurses Clinical Nursing Research. 13(2). 125-136.
- Steptoe. A. (1991). In: Cooper CL, Payne R, editors. Personality individual differences and stress. Chichester : John Wiley. Psychological coping. individua differences and physiological stress responses.
- H. J. Kim. (2015). Relation between Emotional Intelligence and Self-Esteem in Nursing Students. Journal Korean Acad Soc Home Care Nurs. 22(2). 228-236.
- Leventhal, H., & Cameron, L. (1987). Behavioral theorises and problem of compliance. Patients education and counselling. 117-138.
- S. Lee, (2010). Emotional Intelligence and Job Stress of Clinical Nurses in Local Public Hospitals. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 16(4). 466-474. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.466
- H. T. Park, (2014). Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society - A study on the effect of emotional intelligence on adjustment to college life in first year nursing college students, 15(3), 1576-1583. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1576
- Y. S. Song. (2002). Effects of a Meditation Program on Stressful Life Events and the Quality of Life with Nursing Students. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society . 15(2). http://uci.or.kr/G704-000930.2013.15.2.002
- S. Y. Yim, M. H. Park. (2015). Effects of Laughter Therapy Program on Perceived Stress and Depression in Nursing College Students. Journal of The Korea Contents Society. 15(11). 288.
- M. L. Yoo. (2010). expression training on the improvement of adjustment in early childhood educational institute and the reduction of kindergartener's daily stress : Kunkuk University, Ph.D.thesis
- S. M. Kim. (2010). The effect of horticultural theraphy on stress and mental health for the middle school students : Korea University, Ph.D.thesis
- H. Y. Son. (2011). Effects of Horticultural Activities on Stress and Academic Motivation ofMiddle School Male Students : Catholic University, Ph.D.thesis
- S. Y. Kang. (2012). Effects of horticultural therapy on the self-esteem, social-supporter and stress of the high school students : Korea University, Ph.D.thesis.
- K. Y. Park, K. H. Han, S. Lee, J. K. Suh. (2010). Effect of Group Horti-Therapeutic Program on Ego-Resilience and Stress of Newly-enlisted Soldiers. Journal of Korean Institute Of Forest Recreation. 6. 45-46.
- E. S. Han, S. Y. Yoon, B. J. Choi. (2012). Effects of Plant Planting Program on Stress and Parental Efficacy in Mothers with Disabled Chil. Plants, And Environment Society For People. 15(2). 73-78.
- M. K. Ha. (2012). Effects of Horticultural Activities on Psychological Well-Being, Job stress, Burnout and Teacher-efficacy of Women Teacher in Middle School : University of Seoul. Ph.D.thesis
- W. G. Kim. (2004). Society For People, Plants, And Environment - A Short-term Intensive Horticultural Therapy Based on Logotherapy to Improve Quality of Life and Stress Reduction for the Frail Elderly, 2011, 63-64.
- J. G. Seo. (2004). Application & practice of horticultural therapy process. : Dankook University
- Law, K. S., Wong, C., & Song, L. J. (2004). The construct and criterion validity of emotional intelligence and its potential utility for managements studies. Journal App Psychol. 89(3). 483-496. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.89.3.483
- Wong. C. S. & Law. K. S. (2002). The Leadership Quarterly - The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude. An exploratory study. 13(3). 243-274.
- W. Jung. (2007). Empirical study on the effect of emotional intelligence on organizational effectiveness : Pusan University, Ph.D.thesis
- Moos. R. H. & Billings. A.g. (1982). Conceptualizing and measuring coping resources and processes. In L. Goldverger & S. Breznita(Eds.) : Handbook of stress Theoretical and clinical aspects, Free Press, New york. . 212-230.
- S. R. Park. (2011). Validity of Korean Coping Response Inventory(Adult Form) : Kyungnam University, Ph.D.thesis.
- K. H. Woo. (2011). Effect of the Horticultural Therapy Based upon Theory of Emotional Intelligence on the Improvement of Emotional Quotient and Sociality of Children in the Dual-income Family : Korea National University of Education, Ph.D.thesis.
- D. W. Seok. J. H. Lee. Y. O. Jeong. (2009). The Effects of Plant Raising Activities in Home Upon School Student' Emotion Intelligenc. Institute of Agriculture & Life Sciences. 43(6). 45-52.
- S. M. Kang, S. H. Bae. (2015). The Mediating Effect of Emotional Intelligence on the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Psychological Well-being of Clinical Nurses. The Journal Muscle and Joint Health. 22(3). 185-194. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.3.185
- Relf. P. D.,(1982). Dynamic of horticultural theraphy, Rehab. Lit. 142. 147-150.
- M. H. Cheon. (2003). Cheongju National University of Education. Ph.D.thesis. Review of horticultural theraphy to apply emotionally disturbed elementary students.
- S. J. Gun, J. E. Song, G. C. Son. (2008). Effect of Gestalt Horticultural Therapy Program of Based upon the 7th Curriculum on the Improvement of Self-Esteem and Academic Achievement in Agricultural High School Students. Society For People, Plants, And Environment. 40-42.
- J. S. Kang. (2004). Effect of horticultural therapy on the mental health and stress in female college students : Hancyong University, Ph.D.thesis.
- Y. J. Moon. (2012). Effect of Horticultural Activities Program on the Stress, Self-Esteem and Quality of Life in a High School Students : Dankook University, Ph.D.thesis.
- Relf. P. D. (1981). Rehabilitation Literature - Dynamics of Horticulture therapy. 42(5-6). 147-150.
- Y. H. (2006). Geun Effect of horticultural therapy on the changes of mentality, sociality of mental disorder persons : The University of Seoul.
- Diener, E., Lyubomirsky, S., King, L. (2005). Psychological Bulletin - The Benefits of Frequent Positive Affect: Does Happiness Lead to Success?.". 131(6). 803-855. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.131.6.803