- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Investigation of EMI Reduction Technique using the Spread Spectrum for an Automotive Power Converter
EMI 개선을 위해 자동차용 전력변환기에 적용된 주파수 확산 기법 분석
- Chae, Gyoo-Soo (Division of Information Communication Eng., Baekseok University)
- 채규수 (백석대학교 정보통신학부)
- Received : 2017.12.13
- Accepted : 2018.02.20
- Published : 2018.02.28
In this study, the investigation results of conducted and radiated emission for DC/DC converter circuit applied in electric vehicles are presented. A frequency spreading circuit was used to improve the EMI characteristics of a power converter designed by using MPQ4433 chip. The frequency spreading circuit using a TLV3201 chip was designed and applied to the power converter. A PCB was fabricated based on the EMI minimization procedures and simulated and measured results were presented for the far-field and near-field conducted and radiated emissions using the fabricated circuit. The measurement were done as CISPR 25 standardized test procedures. It is clearly showed that the EMI characteristics were improved 20% in case frequency spreading was applied. The EMI reduction technique using the frequency spreading proposed in this study was first applied to the design of power converter module for automobile. It is expected that the method presented here can be effectively used for EMI improvement in the future.
Supported by : Baekseok University
- G. Braglia, A. Duffy and S. Barmada. (2016) Simulation Validation of Experimental Tests for Automotive System EMC Developmental Tests. Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, 31(9), 1028-1034.
- Benson Wei, Steven G. Pytel Jr. (2015 May). New Integrated Workflow for EMI Simulation. Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (APEMC), Taipei, DOI: 10.1109/APEMC.2015.7175276 APEMC 2015.
- L. Premalatha, T. A. Raghavendiran, C. Ravichandran. (2013). Experimental Study on Conducted EMI Mitigation in SMPS using a Novel Spread Spectrum Technique. Journal of Power Electronics, 13(4), 619-625. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.4.619
- J. Jia, D. Rinas, and S. Frei. (2012 September) Prediction of radiated fields from cable bundles based on current distribution measurements. International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC EUROPE 2012), (pp. 1-7).
- Hesener, Alfred. (2010) Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) in Power Supplies. Fairchild Semiconductor Power Seminar. 2011.
- S. Igarashi, S. Takizawa, K. Kuroki, T. Shimizu. (2000) Analysis and reduction of radiated EMI noise from converter systems. Electrical Engineering in Japan. 130(1), 106-117. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6416(200001)130:1<106::AID-EEJ13>3.0.CO;2-3
- Gyoo-Soo Chae. (2016). An investigation Study of Electromagnetic Compatibility for Power Module. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 7(6), 23-28. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.023
- M. R. Barzegaran, A. Nejadpak, O. A. Mohammed. (2015). Physics-Based Modeling of Power Converter Drive System for Evaluation of Electromagnetic Compatibility. Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal. 30(6), 660-669.
- A. Nejadpak and O. A. Mohammed. (2013) Physics based modeling of power converters from finite element electromagnetic field computations. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 49(1), 567-576. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2012.2206046
- Rodriguez, V. (2012). Automotive component EMC testing: CISPR 25, ISO 11452-2 and equivalent standards. IEEE Electromagnetic Compatibility Magazine, 1(1), 83-90. https://doi.org/10.1109/MEMC.2012.6244955
- D. Rinas, J. Jia, A. Zeichner, and S. Frei. (2013). Substituting EMC emission measurement by field and cable scan method using measured transfer function. Advances in Radio Science, 11, 183-188. https://doi.org/10.5194/ars-11-183-2013
- Tse, K. K., Chung, H. H., Huo, S. Y., & So, H. C. (2000). Analysis and spectral characteristics of a spread-spectrum technique for conducted EMI suppression. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 15(2), 399-410.
- Hailey, J. C. (2003). U.S. Patent No. 6,647,052. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Ming, X., Chen, Z., Zhou, Z. K., & Zhang, B. (2011). An advanced spread spectrum architecture using pseudorandom modulation to improve EMI in class D amplifier. IEEE transactions on power electronics, 26(2), 638-646. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2063440
- Trescases, O., Wei, G., & Ng, W. T. (2006, June). A low-power DC-DC converter with digital spread spectrum for reduced EMI. In Power Electronics Specialists Conference, 2006. PESC'06. 37th IEEE (pp. 1-7). IEEE.