- Volume 18 Issue 2
This study was a quasi-experimental design with a non-equivalent control group to investigate the effects of yoga nidra on self-esteem in nursing students. Thirty-nine undergraduate nursing students were selected by convenience sampling, with 19 assigned to an yoga nidra group and 20 assigned to a control group. The data were collected from May 1 to June 24, 2016. The yoga nidra intervention was performed for 60 minutes per session, two sessions per a week for 8 weeks. The control group did not participate in the yoga nidra and had no designated intervention. Self-esteem were measured with Rosenberg's Self-Esteem Scale. The yoga nidra group scores were significantly increased in self-esteem levels compared with the control group. In conclusion, these findings indicate that yoga nidra intervention would elevate self-esteem levels in nursing students and it can be used as a tool to improve the self - esteem of university students as well as nursing college students.
Supported by : 강원대학교
- S. Sasat, P. Burnard, D. Edwards, W. Naiyapatana, U. Hebden, W. Boonrod, B. Arayathanitkul, and W. Wongmak, "Self-esteem and students nurses: a cross-cultural study of nursing student in Thailand and the UK," Nursing & Health Sciences, Vol.4, No.1, pp.9-14, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-2018.2002.00095.x
- C. M. Begley and P. White, "Irish nursing students' changing self-esteem and fear of negative evaluation during their pre registration programme," Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.2, No.4, pp.390-401, 2003.
- G. Papazisis, P. Nicolaou, E. Tsiga, T. Christoforou, and D. Sapountzi-Krepia, "Religious and spiritual beliefs, self-esteem, anxiety, and depression among nursing students," Nursing and Health Science, Vol.16, No.2, pp.232-238, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12093
- 권영미, 윤은자, "간호학생의 간호전문직관과 전공만족, 사회성, 자아존중감간의 관계," 간호행정학회지, 제13권, 제3호, pp.285-292, 2007.
- 성미혜, "간호학생의 간호전문직 자아개념과 임상실습만족, 자아존중감 간의 관계," 동서간호학회지, 제18권, 제1호, pp.18-24, 2012.
- N. Yildirim, A. Karaca, S. Cangur, F. Acikgoz, and D. Akkus, "The relationship between educational stress, stress coping, self-esteem, social support, and health status among nursing students in Turkey: A structural equation modeling approach," Nurse Education Today, Vol.48, pp.33-39, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2016.09.014
- D. Edwards, P. Burnard, K. Bennett, and U. Hebden, "A longitudinal study of stress and self-esteem in student nurses," Nurse Education Today, Vol.30, No.1, pp.78-84, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.06.008
- D. Hicdurmaz, F. İnci, and S. Karahan, "Predictors of mental health symptoms, automatic thoughts, and self-esteem among university students," Psychology Reports, 2017. doi: 10.1177/0033294117707945 https://doi.org/10.1177/0033294117707945
- C. Mimura, T. Murrells, and P. Griffiths, "The association between stress, self-esteem and childhood acceptance in nursing and pharmacy students: a comparative cross-cultural analysis," Stress and Health, Vol.25, No.3, pp.209-220, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.1240
- H. Eastman-Mueller, T. Wilson, A. K. Jung, A. Kimura, and J. Tarrant, "iRest yoga-nidra on the college campus: changes in stress, depression, worry, and mindfulness," International Journal of Yoga Therapy, No.23, pp.15-24, 2013.
- P. S. Jensen, P. J. Stevens, and D. T. Kenny, "Respiratory patterns in students enrolled in schools for disruptive behaviour before, during, and after yoga nidra relaxation," Journal of Child and Family Studies, Vol.21, No.4, pp.667-681, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-011-9519-3
- K. Rani, S. C. Tiwari, S. Kumar, J. Prakash, and N. Srivastava, "Psycho-biological changes with add on yoga nidra in patients with menstrual disorders: a randomized clinical trial," Journal of Caring Sciences, Vol.5, No.1, pp.1-9, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15171/jcs.2016.001
- Y. S. Song, "Effects of a meditation program on stressful life events and the quality of life with nursing students," Journal of Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol.15, pp.965-974, 2013.
- 전병제, "자아 개념 측정 가능성에 관한 연구," 연세 논총, 제11권, 제1호, pp.107-130, 1974.
- S. S. Satyanada, Yoga nidra, India, Bihar Yoga Bharati Yoga Publication Trust, 2006.
- S. Kanojia, S. V. K. harma, A. Gandhi, R. Kapoor, A. Kukreja, and S. K. Subramanian, "Effect of yoga on autonomic functions and psychological status during both phases of menstrual cycle in young healthy females," Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, Vol.7, No.21, pp.2133-2139, 2013.
- M. W. Beets and E. Mitchell, "Effects of yoga on stress, depression, and health-related quality of life in a nonclinical, bi-ethnic sample of adolescents: a pilot study," Hispanic Health Care International, Vol.8, pp.47-53, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1891/1540-4126.96.36.199
- L. Stankovic, "Transforming trauma: a qualitative feasibility study of integrative restoration (irest) yoga nidra on combat-related post-traumatic stress disorder," International Journal of Yoga, No.21, pp.23-38, 2011.